Best training to keep your skills sharpen while resting from the game

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by arfandy, Sep 27, 2010.

1. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

Hey all,

I consider myself as an intermediate player with 10 years of active badminton play (male with 170cm height), with at least twice a week to play.

However due to certain situation (not sickness nor injuries), i am not able to play badminton at all for 4 months straight. I recalled the last experience i had when rested from badminton for 3 weeks, my skill was going real rusty.

I have no idea to keep my current skill but only to maintain my physical attributes by regularly going to gym (3x/week), do treadmill, 60x sit-ups, push-up, heavy weight lifting, wrist training by lifting my wrist with 5kg of weight, and many more. In addition to that, i also try to hold my badminton training racket (170g) everyday, forehand & backhand swing it with cover on. I can now feel my muscle around arms, chest, tummy, and legs are getting bigger and harder than ever while my wrist is sometime feeling really numb and extremely exhausted because i overdid for the hand wrist part.

My question is, am i doing the right things here? Considering i was told that badminton player is best not to create big muscle around arms and chest as it will slow down the quick responses during fast game.

Thank you

2. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    I tink the gym work is good to keep u strong and fit but u cud train mentally. I am currently doin this. Take 30 mins every day, preferably every day at the same time.

In ur head, walk into a cinema and sit down and watch yourself on the screen playing the game of ur life, playin like a pro, playin great shots, unreal shots jus like the pros!! Ur jus as fast, jus as gud, add as much detail as possible to make it as real as possible

Do this religiously every day for 3 weeks for 30 uninterrupted mins!! Trust me afta a few days, this 30 mins wil fly by!! Afta 3 weeks, take a break for a week atleast and then repeat

3. IronPlatypi

IronPlatypi New Member

University of Waterloo Student
    Footwork drills; footwork's probably the first thing to go when you don't train. A lot of the things you are doing is going to build strength, but you also want to be doing some skipping and some speedwork (HIIT). If you don't, after gaining that much muscle, you might find that getting to your shots and playing in general is way harder than it was before (ie: mishits and can't last as long).

4. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    All good ideas. I'd also suggest you complete my armchair training videos. The reason for this is that many players forget the critical basic skills such as changing your grip quickly. Fast hands are just as important as fast feet. If you continue doing these exercises you will also build power in your forearm.

Paul
    www.badminton-coach.co.uk