Why do my strings keep breaking?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by shadowfuri, Sep 28, 2010.

1. shadowfuri

shadowfuri Regular Member

Student
    Hey guys,

I currently have a bit of a dilemna as the strings on my current racket are continually breaking every 2-3 weeks, the break is consistent at the sweet spot, and has happened around 5 times already, so basically every month I am forced to fork out around 50AUD to keep my racket alive...

The racket I am using is the Fleet Tank Power 100 Offensive, I play 2-3 times a week in 3 hour sessions and the tension I use is 23.5. I use BG65 and BG70PRO, but they don't seem to do anything even though they are durable strings.

Anyone know what might be wrong? Thanks in advance.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    did you see signs of fraying before it breaks?

you must be a really strong player to break bg65 every 2-3 weeks. most bg65 i have seen last for many many months if not years.

3. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Broken grommet possibly, either that or you have a really powerful smash :) is it always the same string that brakes ?

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    he did mentioned that the breakage is at the sweetspot, which i interpreted as the middle of the racket. for those breakages, it is only possible to be normal wear, or using too much cutting in his strokes.

5. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

then the only conclusion I can come to, is that he is either too powerful, or like you said plays too many cuts and slices, even still, how can you manage to break BG65 @23.5lbs, I find it hard to break BG80 @ 26lbs, and BG65 is a lot more durable than BG80:)

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    totally. i have seen many many bg65 frayed to the point where the top coat is already gone, and it just keeps going. they are very difficult to destroy esp at low tension.

7. shadowfuri

Student
    Thanks guys, I reached a similar conclusion as well, I don't think I am too powerful, as my smashes are really not that strong, however perhaps I do have a strong preference for slicing, I can't see how that would affect the durability of my string that much though...

8. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

another possibility is the string itself. besides what you said, it could be one of the few things:

1. string has been on the shelf for TOO long.
    2. fake string.

9. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Hang on.... Did you say 50AUD ?

10. shadowfuri

Student
    Yeah it costs me $25 AUD to restring each time, and this occurs up to twice each month, so $50 AUD ><

For those who are in Australia, I'm in Melbourne and I get my racket restrung at stadium sports, they are quite reputable, so I don't think the string would remain on the shelf for an excessive amount of time.

11. zombiez

zombiez Regular Member

Full time Dad
    I think you should increase the tension for your rackets. It is not that your smash is too powerful. It is too much relative to the string tension. Furthermore, if the frame is a box frame, the stringbed stiffness is lower. This causes the 23.5 lbs to be relatively loose as compared to Example an oval. This is not even considering the loss in tension for BG65.

Lastly, try changing stringer. :D

#11 zombiez, Sep 30, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  12. c0alKiller

c0alKiller Regular Member

which weight do you set them? I believe when it's too high, the strings will break easier

13. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    Is the string fraying prior to breaking? Or is it just snapping without any real wear&tear?
    If it's the latter, I'd try another stringer and compare results. If it's the former, then you're just too awesome of a badminton player. :D

I'm using BG65 @ 22lb. The strings fray like crazy on the sweetspot prior to breaking.

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    he mentioned it is 23.5lbs. which is just medium tension and shouldn't cause pre-mature string breakage.

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    BG65 tends to fray pretty easily with medium-low tension. that's not because it has a weak coating, but because it loses tension pretty easily, and what you end up with is a low tension string, and then on top of that, the core refuses to break and a result, the string lasts for a long time and cause wear to the coating.

most other strings just snaps and the coating never get the chance to wear out.

16. shadowfuri

Student
    Yeah, there is quite a bit of fraying prior to breakage, and it always is a cross string near the middle =\

So you're saying stringing at a higher tension will fix the problem? That's somewhat ironic, but I guess I have nothing to lose trying it :D