From Mabuhay Philippines to Sunny California

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by playmaker, Sep 29, 2010.

1. playmaker

playmaker Regular Member

Hello everyone!

I’m very happy that I came across this website/forum because it’s just informative and inspiring. When I was a kid I played backyard badminton on the streets of Manila using wooden badminton racket and plastic shuttlecocks. When I started working in 2003, badminton boomed and made me play recreational badminton. I moved here in the U.S. on 2006 and I’ve been playing for almost 2 years now. It was stop and go badminton but now it’s for here to stay.

I really enjoy it so much and there’s so much to learn. I’m near in the Los Angeles area and I would love to play other than my usual circle. Hoping to meet new friends

Thanks everyone.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    there is a very active Philipino badminton group down in S. Cal, do you know them?

3. playmaker

playmaker Regular Member

hELLO, Kwun.

Unfortunately, I don't know them. I play at a gym in my friend's church community. It's a lot of fun but I want to progress my badminton skills, stop using my bad habits and start using proper techniques. I hope to find them in this forum.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
  5. playmaker

playmaker Regular Member

I sure will.

Thanks Kwun.

6. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Welcome..

..to BCDF, playmaker!:)..Yes, as mentioned, that particular Philippine badminton group is very active. They play at least 3 times a week at a local full time baddy club : Arcadia Badminton Club (Arcadia). They are also a very friendly group and always on the lookout for new members, even if one is not a Filipino him/herself!:)...You can check out the badminton club info at ABC's sub-forum.
    Do you live literally near downtown L.A.?..Where do you usually play? If so, the closest other full-time baddy place where you can play at is at the SGVBC, in El Monte (San Gabriel Valley Badminton Club). It also has a Filipino group. If you have your own transportation, you can check those 2 groups.
    There is also an open baddy session @ ELAC in Monterey Park but only meets once or twice a week for a few hrs.
    Visit us often!:cool:

#6 ctjcad, Sep 29, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  7. playmaker

playmaker Regular Member

Hello, Ctjcad! :)

I live in San Fernando Valley, both ABC and SGVBC are on my opposite end. My friends sometimes do play there if we have time. You know L.A. traffic is crazy :). Occasionally, I play in Burbank and Glendale for open play. It would be really nice if I have a regular badminton group. But, I just have to overcome my shyness... ;)

Thanks for welcoming me.

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..then the guys at the link above will surely be a very friendly bunch. Trust me, i know a few of their members.:cool:
    Now, the only question left is, how willing are you to travel all the way to your "opposite end" on a weekly basis?;)..or maybe they have a member or two who lives in your part of the area..
    Btw, there's also a regular open play gym @ SMC (Santa Monica College) which meets every Sunday from noon til evening, at least for 6 hrs. They have, i believe, 8 courts. All levels of play. But i don't think they have a Filipino groupl
    Check out their site:
    http://smcbadminton.com/index.html

#8 ctjcad, Sep 30, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  9. playmaker

playmaker Regular Member

Now, the only question left is, how willing are you to travel all the way to your "opposite end" on a weekly basis?;)..or maybe they have a member or two who lives in your part of the area..

That's the million dollar question ;). What a coincidence that we're talking about PBCA because somebody invited me to play mixed doubles with him and he's a member of PBCA. This is my first tournament outside the church where I usually play. It's going to be held on Oct. 16. I hope we have good chemistry. I'm hoping for a win but definitely I will do my very best. :)

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    the most important is to have fun!

11. playmaker

playmaker Regular Member

:eek:

Absolutely :)

12. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..that's good to hear! Yes, they will have the XD tourney on the 16th. Glad you'll be taking part and yes, as mentioned, have tons of fun!
    Btw, that somebody plays with your regular church group? Or you got in touch through the PBCA site? The group holds tournaments quite a bit so you'll have some good opportunities to play and test your skills with other players and meet and make new friends.:cool:
    Hope to catch up with you on that weekend, if i can swing by the club during the tourney.:cool:

13. playmaker

playmaker Regular Member

He used to play with our church group but not anymore. Maybe he got bored... LOL :p
    It will definitely test my skills and it's going to be a challenge for me. :)
    I will look forward on meeting you. Hope to see you there. :cool:

14. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..btw, may i know your XD partner's (friend's) first name??..yes, just the first name..:)

15. playmaker

playmaker Regular Member

ctcjad, I will PM you...:cool: