Lee Jae Bok's New Website

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by elderplayer, Sep 30, 2010.

1. elderplayer

elderplayer Regular Member

Coach Lee Jae Bok has a new coaching website that will be interest to BC members:

http://www.coachingbadminton.com

It has just been launched.

There are some minor flaws that Coach Lee and his website team may still be fixing up but it is now available.

2. volcom

volcom Regular Member

This guy is absolutely fantastic, I love his passion for the game.

3. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    The site looks nice, with different categories for players, coaches etc. :) Thanks for sharing...

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Good to see that Lee is resurrecting this after a long break. :)

5. uploader08

uploader08 Regular Member

Coach Lee Jae Bok has changed access to his new videos on the website from a monthly subscription to a more affordable inexpensive pay-per-view mode. 1 UK pound for 4 pay-per-view credits, 5 UK pounds for 20, 10 UK pounds for 50 or 20 UK pounds for 120.

A per-per-view credit allows a subscriber to view one of the new videos up to 4 times.

6. bbi2004

bbi2004 Regular Member

When we are paying for the video, we should have the facility to download for future viewing, but they have not provided it, how can we do that?

7. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Allowing people to download paid-for videos is asking for trouble. It's just too easy for someone to take that video file and put it on YouTube (or wherever). That's the main reason they don't provide a download.

Out of respect for the efforts of Lee, I suggest we do not discuss ways of circumventing this security.

8. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    Gollum: Im not sure it solves the problem... Anyway, I guess interactive videos will not have theese problems ;)

9. bbi2004

bbi2004 Regular Member

[QUOTE]Allowing people to download paid-for videos is asking for trouble. It's just too easy for someone to take that video file and put it on YouTube (or wherever). That's the main reason they don't provide a download.

Out of respect for the efforts of Lee, I suggest we do not discuss ways of circumventing this security.[/QUOTE]

If it a trouble for them as it may go to other hand, they should not restrict to 4 VIEWS. As we have paid for the video, we have right to view it many times.

10. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

I think you got it wrong. You are paying for a limited right (4 viewing) to view the video. You do not own the video. It is no difference from buying a license from Microsoft that allows you limited right to use Windows on 1 PC.

11. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

As weeyah explained, you do not have that right.

However, I agree with you that it's a frustrating system. I don't like it, and I can't imagine myself ever implementing a system like that. Lee seems to like this sort of system, though. :(

#11 Gollum, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  12. carlo

carlo Regular Member

Just subscribed, watched most of the footwork videos. Very, very good stuff. Simple, yet effective. The best explanation of footwork rhythm I've seen yet.

Had some problems subscribing, Lee himself came to my rescue and the issue was solved with a few emails. Recommended.

13. London_Player

London_Player Regular Member

admin
    Now it has videos of elbow position when smashing, which hadn't known.

I always find Lee's explanation fantastic, and he is probably the best person to communicate his ideas to the people.

14. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    Thx, but I strongly disagree on this particular techinue that he shows about the preparation for the smash.

15. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Mikael: I think it is excellent that you have this attitude! It is one that means you are striving for excellence - and your OWN understanding.

It does not mean you think Lee is wrong, obviously he is a world class coach and player, its just that you think his technique he described is not right for you, as far as you know. On the one hand, you should accept what a good coach tells you, because they know what they are talking about after all :) but on the other hand, no one person has ALL the answers for everyone. In this situation Lee has shown you what he believes to be important about smashing. You have heard this, interpreted it, decided that this bit of advice is not for you, probably based on some other experience, your own, or that of another coach/player. However, despite disagreeing you have not said it in such a way as to be disrespectful to the person or their views.

A bit off topic, but I like to hear people questioning what they are being told :) and doing so with appropriate respect.

Matt

16. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I respectfully disagree. :)

Your Microsoft license is not exactly a subscription. And you can use it on your one system in perpetuity; not just 4 times a day or something...

If a customer has paid to subscribe to a certain lesson, that lesson (video) should be made available online to him for a certain period (6 months? 1 year?) rather than a certain number of times. It gives the customer the latitude to check the video as often as he may need to, within a reasonable time range, and get full value for money. The IP owner's rights are protected as well.

17. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

I agree with Mikael about the video about smashing with regards elbow, think his idea is off here and it not how players with powerful steep smashes smash. It even says below video 'The power is generating from elbow not from turning body'. erm...

Like the one about picking shuttle up using racket, themethod he shows makes it much easier than how I used to do it. Tried it in the kitchen its easy when you know how!

18. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    To cobalt:
    When you buy a microsoft product, you buy the right to use their product within certain constraints. You do not suddenly own the content. I would not call Lees website a subscription site, because you don't have any regularity to payments, but the same as buying licenses (a one off payment for a product). If you want to see a video, you buy a license for 4 views. You do not own the video, and you cannot view the video (use the product) without a license - the same as microsoft, but different rules for the license. Just my thoughts on why it is NOT a subscription site.

To bbirdman:
    On the other hand, remember, his video is aimed at EVERYONE, he gives a very good reason for why he thinks body rotation is not THAT important (not sure if its this video or another of his). This instruction would be excellent for someone learning to hit their shots - lee is promoting simplicity, not TOO MUCH body rotation - which some would consider IS possible. Watch some professional mens singles and you MIGHT be surprised at how little body rotation they use - they do use SOME, but surprisingly little, I found. Also remember, that having body rotation without properly using your arm (and specifically getting your elbow positioning right at KEY moments), then there is no power at all because you have no swing technique.

At the same time as this, he proves with his demonstrations it DOES work, and the initial setting of the elbow leaves the chest open, which is the only real requirement (in my opinion) when setting up for a shot. If you combine THIS video, with his other smashing videos (which you might have to buy) and his videos on posture and hitting techniques, then ACTUALLY I think he has covered most of the important things, but in a very simple way. You must remember, this video is ONLY his opinion on how to use your elbow when you smash, and in general.

Finally, remember that this guy HAS coached professional players, including robert blair, and english doubles player. Robert Blair was an extremely powerful player compared to most - not as powerful as a Fu Haifeng, but more powerful than a Cai Yun. This is probably not a fluke on Lees part ;)

Once again, I just wanted to help you consider a different perspective on what you have seen. Imagine a beginner and intermediate player - how beneficial it would be, for their development, to tell them to focus on their technique, not the body rotation aspect of their technique. It would do most of them wonders!

Thanks for reading

Matt

19. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    The video on the elbow position for the smash is interesting & informative.

Note that Lee's English is a bit off. Hence his explanation is sometimes off as well. Best to look at his actions to really determine what he is trying to say. In watching this video, it is apparent that body rotation is employed - very much so.

He coils and uncoils his torso at least 90 degrees for his smash technique. That is still quite a bit of body rotation. He cautions against coiling more than this. The amount of coiling he suggests is definitely less than one would use for a tennis serve (where a significant amount of coiling and uncoiling are used). But it is important to note that, with his technique, a considerable amount of body rotation is employed.

In this respect it is a lot like martial arts. There might be some optimal amount of rotation employed. But more is not necessarily better. In fact, in this example, more can be counterproductive according to Lee.

20. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

I am not disputing his technique or his credentials and yes I agree over rotation is counterproductive. What I was saying that the elbow doesn't neccessarily need to be level with shoulder.

If you look at the big fast steep smashes of the likes of lin dan and lee chong wei there elbow goes right back which enables them to take the shuttle higher otherwise they wouldn't be able to unwind fully. Also if your forced to take it late more above than infront.

After watching some vids aswell as this and playing tonight I have come to some conclusions
    1 I'm obssessed with badminton
    2 That body rotation is no where near is important as correct grip and wrist snapping (pronation) and timing.

I have seen people hardly move their body, even have incorrect grip with big smashes. They all wrist snap and concentrate their power.

Personally I need to get the arm right before introducing and meaningful body movement. so this has been useful thread and vid for me.