SHON wan ho serve

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by lilyaks, Sep 30, 2010.

1. lilyaks

lilyaks Regular Member

i noticed that when wan serves on the left hand side of the court, he serves with his left leg in front but when he serves on the right leg, he serves with his right leg in front. why is this?

2. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    It may be he is serving this way because that is how he positions his base from one side or the other. To explain: some players, when the shuttle is on the right hand side of the court (i.e. serving from the left to the right, hitting a shuttle anywhere onto the right side of the court) will position their feet so that the left foot is forwards, giving them fastest movement to their sides and to their front (i.e. cover both "straight corners" and the cross court net corner), reasoning that a cross court lift (for which they are not so well prepared for) will give them enough time to reach the shuttle because of a longer trajectory. Similarly, these players, when they hit a shot to their left (i.e. a serve from the right) will position their feet so that the right foot is forwards. once again, think about the fact that this position leaves moving backwards (to their RIGHT deep corner) more difficult but also gives them more time to get there (because the lift would have t be cross court).

This is one reason he may serve this way, its simply so that his base favours movement towards the "straight" returns over the cross court ones. However, does he actually keep his feet positioned in this way after the serve, or does he change his position to have his racket leg forwards (as many palyers do). If this were the case, it is most likely he serves that way just because he likes it :s

I haven't watched his footwork enough to know whether he uses the method I described. Most pros bias their feet in some way, but they don't normally commit to having the non racket foot forwards (the most they go is both feet equal distance)

Maybe this is the answer?