Arcsaber 10 vs Arsaber 8DX

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by shadowfuri, Oct 2, 2010.

1. shadowfuri

shadowfuri Regular Member

Student
    Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone could tell me what the difference is between the Yonex Arcsaber 10 and the Yonex Arcsaber 8DX. I hear alot of people say that these two rackets are similar and some people say that the Yonex Arcsaber 8DX is the better Arcsaber 10, but how does this make sense if the Arcsaber 8DX is cheaper?

What I basically want to know is, what are the specific specification differences between these 2 rackets and how would this affect your gameplay.

Thanks alot for any help in advance!

2. TigerSmash

TigerSmash Regular Member

If you're planning to get one of these rackets, I would opt for the 8DX. My reason being is because the first thing you'll notice is that it plays very similar to 10 with a few exceptions. The balance of the 8DX is actually more even balance and less on the head, however it makes it a much more pleasant racket to use. It comes into play when you just need that extra speed for quick kill's and smashes, therefore a bonus factor than the 10, which I feel is more sluggish. Also it can take higher tension and even though it's on par with stiffness, the head is much more stable. IMO 8DX is much more 'alive' than 10 and also the manoevrability is better.

3. shadowfuri

Student
    Sounds like my kind of racket then! In that case, what advantages does the Arc10 have over the Arc8DX?

4. wongmb

wongmb Regular Member

Is there an area where the 10 is better than the 8DX ? Also is the 8DX going to be much stiffer than the 10 ?

5. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

Arc 10 felt slightly more head heavy and has super HMG on the side of the frame, which aids control, according to Yonex.

I personally feel Arc 8DX is the better racquet for doubles whereas Arc10 is better for singles. Of course, it depends on personal taste or choice.

'The new ARCSABER10 is adopted High Modulus Graphite which has been integrated into the side of the frame to produce a high repulsion power. Hybrid frame, the combination of "Cup-Stack Carbon Nanotube" inside and "Super HMG" outside the frame, makes it possible to control a hard shot with flexibility and repulsion power. ' [Yonex.com]

6. masterblaster99

masterblaster99 Regular Member

Hey Shadowfuri,

I have used both racquets quite a bit, although I own 2 AS10 and just occasionally borrow a buddys DX8. As you can probably tell, I like the AS10 much more than the DX8. As was indicated by others in previous posts, I find the control of the AS10 far superior and feel that I can generate a great deal more power in my smash with it. I suppose that is likely due to the slight head heaviness of the racquet. Lastly, I am not a fan of the flexibility of the DX8; to me it acts more like a Nanospeed, presumably due to its stiffness. The AS10 has all the right attributes that I feel comfortable using it for both doubles and singles.

I have been using an AS10 for about 1 year now and enjoy it so much that I bought a second as a back up (Peter Gade model - now my primary).

My 2 cents and I hope that I helped you out a bit:cool:

7. shadowfuri

Student
    Your '2 cents' was very helpful, so thank you very much! I went ahead and won an auction for an Arc10 and got it for pretty cheap (peter gade model :D). So far I have it strung with 23/25 NBG 95, I'll be testing it tomorrow night, I'll report and let people know how it feels.

8. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

"Cheap" & "auction" :D. And what auction would that be?

9. shadowfuri

Student
    On eBay for $147.50 AUD :D

10. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

You got it that fast :eek:! One day?

11. shadowfuri

Student
    YES! SUPER EXPRESS SHIPPING!!

haha.. just kidding.. I bought from Stadium sports, who have a store not far from where I live =] I picked it up 2 hours after the auction ended =P Seemed to me like a nice price, I just hope it will suit my playing style. Stiffness is about the same as my old racket, but the head is somewhat slightly heavier.

12. shadowfuri

Student
    Well, I strung my Arc10 with NBG 95 23x25
    I noticed that this racket was perhaps not as stiff as my old and had a heavier head.

First impressions during drills:
    Smashes were definitely faster due to the heavier head, however I did notice a lack in defense, I found myself having a hard time responding to smashes that I could usually easily block.

Drops were definitely more accurate, but clears seems to be slightly more difficult as the racket vibrated alot more than my old one.

Match time:
    Not sure what the hell went wrong here, but I couldn't land any shots properly, drops were landing in service box, clears were not strong, smashes were not steep. Either I was having a bad day, or I wasn't used to the racket, or the strings were too slippery, or a combination of all three... I'll definitely be testing more.

13. Ar Dan

Ar Dan Regular Member

Property Management
    Try to get used to playing with the new racket first, then increase the tension on your next stringing. Arc10 usually plays better with higher tension strings. You might want to try out BG80 as well, more control over NBG95.

14. shadowfuri

Student
    I'll definitely do that, but I think the main problem is that the racket is not stiff enough. I'm finding that despite hitting the shuttle extremely hard, the distance it makes is not as much as my old racket...

Perhaps I should have gotten a NS9900 =[

15. DanhNguyen5.3

DanhNguyen5.3 Regular Member

I say around 25-26 lbs tension, its sick at that tension, and yes it feels wierd at the start and feels sluggish, and is really hard to get use to top that, but when you do , you'll never let it go. my 2 cents

D.N

16. masterblaster99

masterblaster99 Regular Member

I agree with you DanhNguyen, I have my AS10 strung at 26 and my AS10PG at 25 (from new) both with BG 80. I think I like the PG model better, perhaps just simply due to the color, but between the two I definitely like the 26 lb tension better. The racket plays better at higher tensions without a doubt.

Have fun and enjoy:cool:

17. shadowfuri

Student
    Thanks for the advice, I'm currently playing at 24 lb (NBG 95), it did feel sluggish at the start, but you're right, it's starting to feel ok now. However, I have always been a low tension player, that being said I can't really tell the difference in tension between my racket and my brother's voltric 70 (NBG 98 @ 26lb) apart from the sound... I'm going to try BG 80's at 25 or 26lb next time, hopefully it will suit me =]

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    ARC10 with ZM62@27lbs is my current setup. i use it for doubles mainly for fast drives and power smashing.

i don't like it as much in singles as i am always out of position and needs the extra forgiveness to give me enough leverage.

19. izwanj_79

izwanj_79 Regular Member

Engineer
    Just noticed that there many of us in BC had problem with an ARCSABER series stringing no matter which model. whether it's a 10, 8DX or Z-slash. most of it are strung between 24-27lbs. Hmm... the feel... is just not right. Is it because of the purpose the racket was produce, the holding feel that we need to string it higher than usual?