Doubles Backhand Short Serve Rule

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by neavalmi0421, Oct 3, 2010.

1. neavalmi0421

neavalmi0421 Regular Member

New Product Development
    Hi , i am watching a tournament (mixed doubles) and one of the players is complaining to the umpire with regards to the service of his opponent (the female). The female backhand short serve is somehow strange, she start with the regular starting position but once she start to draw back her racket head she also starts to raise/lift/move up the shuttle with her left hand (right handed player) around two to three inches then release the shuttle. it is still obvious though that this player hit the shuttle still within waist level (9.1.5) since strike it when the shuttle is falling down not when it is going up. And this is what i can understand from the umpire's explanation though i am in the bleacher that the female player release then strike the shuttle at the waist level and so the game continue with that. I am trying to look in the Badminton Law but i cannot find any rule to determine if this method of service is a fault or not. Can somebody pls help clarify? Thanks.

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Nothing wrong with that, as long as the shuttle is still struck below the waist level.

Only problem with that serve is a technical one, as the dropped shuttle won't be struck as accurately as if it was struck directly out of the hand.

3. Karakalkat

Karakalkat Regular Member

Distributor for Karakal
    The head of shuttle must be hit first not the feathers first...this might be why they complained..???

4. neavalmi0421

neavalmi0421 Regular Member

New Product Development
    thanks visor. i also agree as long as the player hits the shuttle below waist.

karakalkat,
    i think it's the way it is being lifted since the umpire demonstrated the lifting and releasing to the complainant. But i think it is a good point also to consider that the player who lifted the shuttle during this BH short serve might not be hitting the cork first or simultaneously hitting feather and cork but it cannot be verified.

5. joonu

joonu Regular Member

executive
    How can a player execute a service by hitting a shuttle directly out of hand ? I think it is fault. To my knowledge, it should be dropped before hitting.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

All coaches will tell you that, for an accurate and consistent short backhand serve, you should practically hit the bird almost out of your hand. This can be done by letting go of the bird at the very last millisecond just before the bird is struck.

If you watch pro players serving in slowmo, you'll see that the bird does not drop even a millimeter.

#6 visor, Nov 1, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  7. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    you are right! that millisecond strike the shuttle!

8. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Service can make or break your game. Better don't try risky style of service or else, it's going to break your tempo and loose the game.

Umpires can be a nightmare at times. Even opponents can complain. ;) Play it safe and comfortable for yourself. ;)

9. PopsiclePete

PopsiclePete Regular Member

I see a lot of players moving backwards, almost fading away, just as the shuttle and racquet make contact...is this legal?

10. visor

visor Regular Member

I don't see any law against that, as long as both feet remain stationary on the ground during the serve.

11. PopsiclePete

PopsiclePete Regular Member

Also, while I've got someone here...if a player makes a double pump in his service motion? ie, moves racket forward a bit, stops, pulls back and then strikes the shuttle.....it's distinct enough that you want to move for the shuttle on the first movement haha

12. visor

visor Regular Member

That would definitely be illegal, as one of the laws says the serve motion has to be one continuous forward motion.

13. 2wheels04

2wheels04 Regular Member

I reckon this is a doubles thread, but do you think your description fits how one player from China serves in his single matches. Look up YouTube and search for Lin Dan. As far as I recall, he has been faulted a few times, but not all.