360 degree rotation, yay? or nay?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by kwun, Oct 3, 2010.

?

what do you think about a machine's ability to do 360 rotation?

1. Absolutely must have, so convenient

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Would be nice, but not deal breaker

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. I don't care for it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    what do everyone feel about the ability to do 360 degree rotation? is that nice to have?

i can, with a little mod, make my WASE do 360, but i opted not to as i orginally thought it is not that useful.

but after a strung a few dozen rackets, i always find that well, maybe it is worth putting in the modification.

i understand it is not absolutely necessary but more of a convenient feature.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    anyone care to comment or share experience?

3. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

It's not that I feel it's particularly useful - I'm so OCD that I usually do 180 turns to keep the handle opposite me so I don't have to step back - but the idea of me absentmindedly whipping a racket around and having the handle crash into an obstruction... nah, can't be having that.

So yes, I think 360 is necessary, if only as a safeguard against accidents; I could get away with not having it, but it would take concentration (and I need that to watch TV while I string:)).

4. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

I find the 360 rotation is a plus but not worth the extra money or work to mod it. Her is my take on it.
    1) Unless you are stringing 10+ racquet a day and makes good money on it, the time and money you save is not worth it. ie, it takes about 2 sec max to swing the racquet 360 the other way.
    2) Often time, the string get tangled because you are only turning the table 1 direction only and it take time to untangle the mass. It is not worth it.
    3) I like the grommets line up same level as the tension head as much as possible so there is no down pressure on the frame. With that in mind, 360 can not be done.

5. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    I second with the Greatest GrandMaster SH. Keeping the tension level with the grommet as much as possible is the main objective.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    here are the pros and cons:

pros:

- shaft will not accidentally hit the gripper (though i have use padding to prevent any damage)
    - more convenient, don't need to move out of the way to swing the shaft over

cons:

- slightly higher string angle when pulling. OK for tennis machine as the racket/gripper distance is longer. not as good for my badminton machine when the gripper is only centimeters from the frame.

i am still undecided.

7. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

The angle thing is actually important - even ECP machines can't factor it out. Ideally you would have a perfectly straight pull, but then 360 would go out the window...

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i have been giving this a little thought.

on an ECP machine, the machine guarantees a certain horizontal tension, say 25lbs.

this is a force that is guaranteed on the horizontal direction. if the string is angled with a vertical component, it should still guarantees a horizontal component equal to 25lbs. in other words, the actual tension of the string will be higher in the direction of the string.

what this should mean then, is that the horizontal component of the string's force at the grommet should be equal to the tension setting on the machine itself. give and take a little due to friction, but it should be pretty darn close.

make sense?

the key is to realize that the ECP machine pulls and measure tension horizontally instead of in the direction of the string.

9. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    I use the electronic tension calibrator to check out the horizontal component at the frame level and adjust the tensioner by adding 0.3 lb to a reference tension of say, 25.0 lbs.

10. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Here is my take on the leveling and 360 rotation over the weekend.
    I was working on a YY ST250.
    While I was test stringing, I pay a little attention on the machine. The string is almost leveled with the grommets while it is pulled. That is good. Here is the better news. Since the string is level, that mean the tension head will block the racquet from rotating 360 right? Not really, I just lift up the handle about 5 mm (or about 1/8 inch) it just clear. My conclusion on the 360 is, not needed. For Kwun, just mount the WISE (or set the turn table higher) so the highest point of the tension head is right between the center of the shaft below the top of the shaft. Just lift and get the clearance.

11. singnflip4life

singnflip4life Regular Member

Full Time Med Student
    This is where Herb can make a new improvement, an automatic leveling tension head. If I remember right, the super high end Babolats have them. The idea is to have a tensioning gripper that moves vertically and horizontally. Like the best circumstance is:

1. When ready to tension, hold string out level with grommet above the linear gripper and press tension button/foot pedal.

2. Gripper raises and when string is in middle of gripper, the gripper engages/grips string and then pulls forward to apply tension.

3. Clamp, the press tension release button. The tensioner releases and goes down, then back to starting position. Going down first, then back would be essential for speed stringers.

I'd love this on a WISE but it would be difficult to implement I would think. But to be honest, I believe 360 degree rotation is NOT important for most badminton, squash, and racquetball rackets. But for most modern tennis that have the bridge type design, the fact that the racket is above the tensioner allows for tensioning the center mains on the bottom without the string rubbing on the racket frame.

So depends? I'd rather have it than not since I do tennis too, but for just badminton, especially with a lightweight machine like the WASE, 360 rotation is not necessary at all.

Is the ASE or similar available in the US from a brand not named eagnas?

12. johnlowe88

johnlowe88 Regular Member

IT Consultant
    Kwun,

I was thinking about this the other day when looking at my stringing geometry. With both of my machines, the string is pulled at a downwards angle to the tensioner so both have 360 rotation. When I string, I usually swing the racquet handle away when I tension the other side - but 360 rotation is handy for mounting the racquet and getting it lined up with the supports. I believe that if something like a grooved roller/diablo is mounted at an adjustable height, or close enough so it does not contact the handle, then the tensioner can be lower than the handle, since the diablo would allow the string to come almost horizontal out of the grommet, then angle downwards to the tensioner - ok? This will be mounted independent of the tensioner of course.

-John