Anyone taken a break from playing to weight train?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by jafffa, Oct 13, 2010.

1. jafffa

jafffa Regular Member

I'm curios if anyone has taken a break from playing completely to weight train. The reasen i ask is that i can see weak links in my physical chain that whilst, at the moment being 19, can be compensated for, will lead to injuries and are limiting my ability.

I was planning on doing starting strength (perhaps with some additional more badminton specific exercises added as i progress) as this routine does not focus on bulding mass.

When I train with weights at the moment i never have time to recover fully before my next game, hence considering a break. But the seasen just started so if i do take a break it will be when it finishes.

Thanks

2. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

I wouldn't recommend stopping badminton cold turkey just to do weights/muscle building. badminton is a great way for cardio, so it can be a good combo to your weights routine. what I suggest is mix your weights time with badminton practice/drill time. maybe take the time off playing badminton games, but work on good hard foot work, maybe backhand strokes, net shots... all those things that can't be worked on simply from playing.

3. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I agree with Capnx. I also think that should you decide that recovery is an issue with your training, perhaps train specifically on your core strength, which will aid power, co-ordination, balance, AND ensure you have longevity in the sport and are able to work at a much higher rate without becoming tired. I think stopping badminton games is less helpful than reducing the quantity of your weight training, and building up once your recovery is better. Taking a break will not allow you to improve your technique, reaction times, mental toughness/training techniques and tactical progression. However, I agree that more court time, and less GAME time is perhaps beneficial.

P.s. I felt recently that physically I wasn't as good as I should be, and the core training for boxers that I found on youtube was ideal. Im only 21. Also note, better footwork will lead to less physical stress on the body.

4. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Agreed...
    and the core exercises that you have posted are really amazing!
    if you can consistently train that day and day out, it helps so much... brilliant!