User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Cheung
    LB, hate to say this but haven't you mentioned before about your relative large waist size in comparison to other badminton players?

Though I don;t doubt your ability, less weight can put less strain on the knee joint.

After evaluating the past several weeks practice, I tend to agree with ur comment.

The past month or so, focus on improving my back court game, which involve a lot of footwork training and jump smashes. Guess my poor knee could not suddenly get used to the extra forces.

Will do more strengthen training as well, such as biking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by LazyBuddy
    After evaluating the past several weeks practice, I tend to agree with ur comment.

The past month or so, focus on improving my back court game, which involve a lot of footwork training and jump smashes. Guess my poor knee could not suddenly get used to the extra forces.

Will do more strengthen training as well, such as biking.
    Biking, I can't wait for the snow to clear here.......ah i love biking. As for the knee, take it easy. Better to lose some time now than lose a lot of time later

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by RJCMGP
    Biking, I can't wait for the snow to clear here.......ah i love biking. As for the knee, take it easy. Better to lose some time now than lose a lot of time later

I mean, those kinda of "Biking" in gym. My friend bought one and installed in his basement. Recently, I just ride that "bike" while watching movies with them. The real biking in New York city is way too dangerous.

Yeah, maybe I won't even go, if my friends don't want to go with me. Just in case, my leg falling off, need someone to drive me back.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, I injured the area around my left knee years ago and nowadays I will wear a knee guard, sometimes on both legs, whenever I can to prevent a repetition of that awful incident. I will also wear an elbow guard on my right 'racket' hand to ward off Mr Tennis Elbow. Rather unsightly on the court, but as the saying goes "prevention is better than cure", although as Cheung has said, it could be psychological. The fact that a badminton friend had to be operated on not one, but both knees, is enough to remind me of this. Yes, he had put on too much weight and his knees just gave way with all the pounding on the court. This is compounded by the fact that he is getting old (as we all do each passing year) and somehow the muscles are no longer as strong and elastic than before.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last friday's practice happened to be another "no show" for me.

Due to flu and sore knee, I decided to give myself another several days off but not pushing for it. So far, seems there's no more "fluid", and no more pain. However, still a little bit sore, and might felt somehow uncomfortable if kept one position for too long.

Wed. night will be my public club, I will try to take it easy. The "shoot out" will be this friday night.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Originally posted by LazyBuddy

Due to flu and sore knee, I decided to give myself another several days off but not pushing for it. So far, seems there's no more "fluid", and no more pain. However, still a little bit sore, and might felt somehow uncomfortable if kept one position for too long.

Wed. night will be my public club, I will try to take it easy. The "shoot out" will be this friday night.
    LB, I think you better not push yourself. You got somehting called an 'effusion' - fluid within the joint. I suspect there possibly is some injury in the knee. I missed you mentioning about the fluid before. Don't play the higher level standard badminton just yet.

If you are still getting problems, you'd better see an orthopaedic guy or physiotherapist for a diagnosis.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LB, I think you better not push yourself. You got somehting called an 'effusion' - fluid within the joint. I suspect there possibly is some injury in the knee. I missed you mentioning about the fluid before. Don't play the higher level standard badminton just yet.
    thanks for the advice.

Just double checked the schedule, seems friday's practice just been cancelled due to spring break. Therefore, guess I have a little bit more time to let my knee take a rest.

As for tomo's club, most ppl there are beginners. Guess I will just do some easy drills with them, and not going to join any competitive games. Just can't lying in bed everyday...

Ok, bring a knee pad, too. Definitely no "diving save" some weired moves for a while.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LB

Talking about 'diving' saves, I'm my own culprit as well. To make up for my lack of speed/footwork, I habitually try to save a tight drop shot when I am caught at the back closer to the baseline. Somehow I managed to escaped serious injury most times, mainly by doing a simple forward roll if needed. But of late I have had the misfortune of having my little 'pinky' finger cut open and bled near the tip. Last Saturday, it happened again and obviously I had to stop playing to stop the bleeding. I discovered that the "unusual" accident came about because my little finger was caught between the butt of my handle and the timber flooring when I tried to retrieve the shuttle from a low position, almost touching the floor. I think the force of the landing caused the butt end to cut into my pinky, which was had no place to escape because it was prevented from doing so by the hard floor surface.

I have been trying to find a solution. One way is not to dive, but this seems not a preferred option as in the heat of a rally, one tends to fight it out all the way. You can't let your partner down, can you LB? Another perhaps is to secure the pinky with a plasterand this I will do from now onwards when I enter the court.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Way back then, my "technique" on landing of diving save is very bad. I always end up directly kneeing on floor, which created huge impact on my knee cap (especially right knee). After one serious injury which kept me out of baddy for almost 1 month, I started to find a better way.

Now days, somehow I managed to land mostly on the outside muscle of thigh instead of knee. This way, the injury happened to me much less and less serious. Just this time, I think I put too much work on knees (15 hrs of competitive playing time that week) by practicing back court jump smash / clear. With already weaker support, landed hard on my knee once, and u all know the rest.

Yeah, the best way is to avoid this kinda of "diving". I will practice more on my footwork, and try to cut the chance to this kinda of playing by another factor or so.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default God wants me to take several more days off...

Hmmm...

Just recieved another phone call from wed club - practice cancelled due to spring break.

Ok, 2 days, 2 calls, 2 clubs cancelled practice. Therefore, the earliest day I will be back on baddy action is next wed (other clubs had early posts about cancellations last wk).

Guess god just worries about my knee, and asked me to take several more days off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just get the proper rest man. don't go out and injure yourself further. especially in the recent freezing weather we are having here in the northeast, joint injuries are happening a lot around here. Just today, couple guys took themselves out of the night by spraining ankle and twisted knee from lack of proper stretching and warming up. anyway, make the most of your time off and rest, you can always come check out the Boston Open this weekend.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got back into action last night.

2 hrs straight, the knee was 75% ok, but the game was a little bit off. Smashing getting improved as the past 2 months progress paid off, but the net shot was inconsistent, due to lack of footwork (still feel tight when chasing around). Completely ran out of gas in the last double game (lasted 35 min), therefore, even though came back from 2-7 to 14 tie, still lost 15-17.

Overall, not too bad, and prepare for some "real deal" tomo night.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Good to hear that but no more diving saves of the shuttle.

I got some good advice before, "if you can't get it, just leave the shuttle and save the energy for later. In another point where you may have 50-50 chance of winning, that little extra energy you saved earlier may get you the point"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good to hear that but no more diving saves of the shuttle.

I got some good advice before, "if you can't get it, just leave the shuttle and save the energy for later. In another point where you may have 50-50 chance of winning, that little extra energy you saved earlier may get you the point"
    Yeah, thnx a lot of the advice.

However, still managed 1 diving save last night... I knew I should not go for that, but just somehow went for it, without even getting permission from brain...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last friday, back in "real" action. Got a lot of good games with ppl around, won some, lost some (when against the better ones, ). Even though, two of the games against the top pairs of the club, I lost badly (ok ok ok almost like blow out), still feel good, since I finally can RUN again. Maybe just a matter of time to pick up my control. Most important, my knee held on. For 3 hrs straight, did not really give me too much problem, just a little bit sore when I came back home.

However, my beloved "Kinetic ULX" broken at the 4 o'clock, when I hit it against my own leg. After almost 4 yrs of good service, I guess this one is now be part of the history. With a big crack on the frame, I cut the string right away, so, it still could be one piece for now. Put a nail on my wall, and officially "retired" my 1st high-end racket...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default general information

Muscles to Blame for Women's Knee Injuries: Study
    Fri May 9, 5:35 PM ET

By Linda Carroll

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Women who participate in jumping and pivoting sports, such as basketball, volleyball and soccer are eight times more likely to rupture a knee-stabilizing ligament than are men.

The reason women are more likely to injure the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) may be weakness in the muscles surrounding the knee, according to a new study.

Women who participated in jumping and pivoting sports had knee muscles that were weaker not only than those of men who played the same sports but also than knee muscles of women who participated in other sports, such as bicycling, crew and running, according to a study published in the Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery.

The results show that training for women who participate in sports that carry a higher risk of this type of knee injury may not be adequate, study co-author Dr. Edward M. Wojtys, said in an interview with Reuters Health.

Cruciate ligaments crisscross in the knee. The cruciate ligament located toward the front of the knee is the ACL. Athletes can injure or rupture the ACL by pivoting or changing direction rapidly, landing from a jump or slowing down from running.

For the new study, Wojtys and his colleagues looked at the ability of knee muscles to keep the joint stable in men and women who were of comparable size and weight.

"When you look at the forces that the knee joint sees during sports -- and in day-to-day living -- those forces are much higher than what the ligaments can withstand," Wojtys said. "So the only way ligaments can survive is if the muscles provide protection for them."

Wojtys and his colleagues compared 24 college athletes -- 12 women and 12 men -- who were competing in sports with a high risk of ACL injury to 28 other athletes -- 14 women and 14 men -- who were active in sports that carry a low risk of such injuries.

The researchers tested the ability of muscles to protect the knee by using a device that held the upper leg in place, but twisted the lower leg. Women who played high-risk sports did the worst on this test.

The study shows that training may need to be different from women than men, Wojtys said. And it's not just a matter of strengthening the muscles.

"You need to work on stuff like agility," Wojtys said. "You need to teach people how to engage and mobilize that protective strength at the right time.

"The great news is that we already have preliminary data showing that we can improve things with training programs."

SOURCE: Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery 2003;85-A:782-789.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hehe personally it really bugs me when ppl dive. It's not volleyball... seriously if u have to dive for something because it's so far from you .. let it go.

Yes diving sometimes look cool.. but not when you injure yourself

And actually it just looks silly making all that noise ...

HOWEVER! IF you're playing with friends.. lol it's damn funny making your friend dive for something and then roll over on his back .. lol

Now that's funny.. but also risky.

It's also no fun when you're all focused on your game and the guy in the court next to you decides to dive for something and make a big bang sound on the floor ... ugh.. painful ^^

Hehe anyways yeah.. save your body from injury and you'll probably be better off..

Just put it in perspective.

It's ONE POINT. >.<

Calvin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast