User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Gryp
    Hehe personally it really bugs me when ppl dive. It's not volleyball... seriously if u have to dive for something because it's so far from you .. let it go.

Yes diving sometimes look cool.. but not when you injure yourself

And actually it just looks silly making all that noise ...

HOWEVER! IF you're playing with friends.. lol it's damn funny making your friend dive for something and then roll over on his back .. lol

Now that's funny.. but also risky.

It's also no fun when you're all focused on your game and the guy in the court next to you decides to dive for something and make a big bang sound on the floor ... ugh.. painful ^^

Hehe anyways yeah.. save your body from injury and you'll probably be better off..

Just put it in perspective.

It's ONE POINT. >.<

Calvin
    Thanks for the suggestion, but can't really agree some of ur point. What do u mean by, "And actually it just looks silly making all that noise ..."??? or "It's not volleyball... seriously if u have to dive for something because it's so far from you .. let it go."???

It's very true some ppl I know just don't know what they are doing. They dive not for the save, but mostly for the "show off" part. They think that's cool and don't have proper "tech" (don't laugh) to protect themselves.

However, I don't think I do diving just for the reasons above - not just to be funny, or just to show off. I put my heart in when I compete (serious games), if I know I can have a good chance to get a save, I will go for it. Of course, I am not crazy enough to dive like 20+ times in a game something.

Diving is part of the game, even pros in "big stages" do it sometimes. Of course, not for every shot. Diving is same as some "crazy" leaping, stretching, etc. If we just let it go, and never try to get it, then, badminton will surely lose some %%% of its competitiveness.

I am not saying everyone who does not dive must treat this one as a backyard sports. Personally, I think if u can play well without all the risky moves, that could be even better. However, every sports have some risk involved. If u put ur heart in, and get the proper tech. about how to min. the risk, I don't think "diving" is consider as a brainless bully move.

And, plz... just a suggestion: don't use non-respectful words (like, silly...), to describe other ppl's playing style, just because u don't like it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gosh... when I saw this thread up again I thought LB injured his knee yet AGAIN!

I've tried 'diving' before... man, it's painful on the knees!!! If I hadn't been desperate to save that shuttle I wouldn't have done it... but hey, I wasn't thinking clearly at that time. Now I think twice before I do it... let the shuttle die or go for it? But sometimes I can stretch my legs wide enough to reach it...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Joanne
    Gosh... when I saw this thread up again I thought LB injured his knee yet AGAIN!
    Lol... thanks for the concern. Nah, not this time.

Way back then, I did not know how to do it properly. Several times, I did land on the knee cap, really hurting and dangerous. Once, when I was watching TV, they were talking about how the air borne ranger to protect themselves during landing. Then, I thought, hmmmm... maybe I can land on the side of my leg, instead of knee cap.

I tried it (not on purpose), and it really works. With better tech (if u call it) and knee pad, I think in some degree, I decreased the chance for diving. Of course, diving is not a very encouraged move, better just do it when u really have no chance, and really want to get that save.

BTW, 2 days ago, someone step on my big toe during the game. Hmmm... hurting....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry

LB

I must confess to diving just to save seemingly impossible shots. It has been a part of my game for a long time. Not just for show but just my nature of trying hard not to give away a point so easily. As you have said, even the stars like Lin Dan and Xuanxie did it in their recent Japan Open encounter.

It is true that diving wrongly can do much damage to the limbs especially the knees because they are probably the parts that come into contact with the floor first. To break my fall, I will normally land on my left non-racket hand first. And if my forward momentum is to heavy, I will do a forward roll to reduce the impact. I normally wear knee guards on both legs.

However, after a few unfortunate incidents when I cut my pinky finger on my racket hand when I dived, I now use a plaster around the tip of my little finger to prevent
    similar accidents from happening again. So far, it proved to be effective.

I now take greater precaution before I decide to dive. If I see no chance of retrieving the shot, I will just let it go. Not when there is a possibility that I can save the shot and not to dissappoint myself and my partner.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Loh

I now take greater precaution before I decide to dive. If I see no chance of retrieving the shot, I will just let it go. Not when there is a possibility that I can save the shot and not to dissappoint myself and my partner.
    Agree.

As experience build up, I can quickly make a decision whether going for a shot or not. By the fact of better "landing", knee pad protection, and better decision making these days, the possibilities of risk is decreasing.

However, trying to learn some leaping and stretching from friends these days. Hopefully, this will further cut down the number of diving saves in the near future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by LazyBuddy
    Lol... thanks for the concern. Nah, not this time.

Way back then, I did not know how to do it properly. Several times, I did land on the knee cap, really hurting and dangerous. Once, when I was watching TV, they were talking about how the air borne ranger to protect themselves during landing. Then, I thought, hmmmm... maybe I can land on the side of my leg, instead of knee cap.

I tried it (not on purpose), and it really works. With better tech (if u call it) and knee pad, I think in some degree, I decreased the chance for diving. Of course, diving is not a very encouraged move, better just do it when u really have no chance, and really want to get that save.

BTW, 2 days ago, someone step on my big toe during the game. Hmmm... hurting....
    Lol... never tried it again though. Better tech or not... but amazingly sometimes I can open my legs wide enough and reach the shuttle... but then after that I'll fall down of course. Lol.

You sure seem to injure yourself a lot!!! I haven't been injured seriously in badminton before... or in any other type of sport...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i do like to recommend a wondeful badminton net site to you :www.chinabadminton.com .you can ask any question about badminton in it , thire answers are all very professional , and of course there is no SARS in it

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

chenwei

The China Badminton website you recommended is in Chinese. What about those who don't read or write Chinese? Any other "good Chinese" sites in English?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default chenwei

hi that site also get a English version , i remenber there were some person ask question in english, and the answer is in English too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Look after yourself!

Hi Lazy!
    Actually, you don't sound that lazy to me!
    Right, I'm not here to criticise you: your playing style is your own personal preference. But, it sounds to me like you're still quite young and supple, so you can afford to risk your knees, hips, and back in this way.
    However, this is not a good habit to havelong term. We lose suppleness and flexibility as we age and joints are notorious for losing their elasticity. They need to be protected as much as possible at all times as the failure rate can be catastrophic i.e. you injure yourself so badly that you have to give up the game entirely.
    Also, I'm not entirely convinced of this "commitment" argument at all. The best players hardly seem to move as they read the game so well, and though diving may impress your playing partner, it's at what cost to you?
    If you were my playing partner, I would ask you to calm down and take it easy on yourself. Try and focus your energies on learning to read the game better, ok?
    You don't have to listen to a word I say, but just think about it?

Best Wishes
    Derek.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Derek,

I agree with most of ur points, and very thankful for ur advice. It's very true that with careless bully moves at young age, we will have to suffer when we get aged. I've seen many example here and there, and really be aware about my own moves.

I know I won't totally give up all my "diving" (however, not to impress anyone, I play men's double most time, no girls around anyway, ) totally, but I've noticed that compare to my old days, the "frequency" is much less, most due to the following:

1. Better footwork, getting to positions faster than before. Many "dives" being converted into proper moves.

2. Less aggressive - don't want to have injuries.

3. Better tech. in diving, if have to. Less chance to hurt myself.

Of course, I will continue to work on my footwork, and hopefully further cut the chances for dangerous moves.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3