Knee injury, again...

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by LazyBuddy, Mar 3, 2003.

1. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I posted my story about "twisted right knee" last Dec. Now, it happened again!

Last friday night, I did a "diving save" for the game winning point. Then, immediately I felt funny about my right knee. It's kinda a little bit tighten up. But I still managed to play for another 30 min. Then, 50 miles of driving to home.

When I went home, I saw just right to my knee cap (right leg), there seems some fluid/liquid like stuff built under the skin, and the knee cap area looks like a little "bum". After putting some icy hot stuff, it felt a little bit better these 2 days. Not as hurt as the 1st day, but still can feel the minor pain while walking, sitting or even laying in bed.

Guess I will take a week off something, before anything really serious happened like last time.

2. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

At least nothing too serious happened this time. Are you doing any exercises to prevent injury? (if those exercises exist)

3. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    LB, I suggest you take longer off than that, and only go bak to Badminton when ur 100% confident that ur knee has 100% healed. I had knee injuries before where the whole kneecap had moved (our of place) when I kneed something during a soccer game. I didn't notice until later when it was really painful to even move the knee. I re-injured it a while later and the second time it took forever to heal. I suggest you not take time off now and have it healed before you do any more major "diving shots" (I kno iz impressive and catches the ladies eyes :D) cuz better miss out for a bit now than miss out for years later ;)
    just a thought

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Hmmm... I will take 1 wk off first, and surely get a knee pad/brace when I go back. Seems not as serious as previous time, but I will still pay enough attention to it.

It's just sore and kinda minor pain at times and certain positions.

5. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

Tsk tsk...you shouldnt be doing any diving shots. havent i told you before not to do them? So what will happen when you come to the bay area? You better be healed up by the time you get here. I dont wanna beat an injured guy, i rather beat you when your not injured :p

6. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    hey LB, man I am gone for couple of weeks and you go and hurt yourself again?!? take care of that knee, give it good proper rest. when it heals, do some strengthening exercises so it will less likely happen again.

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yah LB!

Take a rest, not a dive! Continue to apply the RICE treatment. But I think you should be OK. You are tough!

Nice to hear from your buddy, jwu. Hope he is getting along fine.

8. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Ouch dude. I'm surprised you weren't wearing a knee brace after the first injury.

9. Chia

Chia Regular Member

High School
    That sucks, oh well on the bright side its only a week or two before you get back on the court. Your injury could be a lot worse ;)

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Hey, well come back...

I am fine, with a little bit minor pain left. I guess I won't play until this coming friday. If it's still kinda sore, maybe I will take another day or 2.

For strengthen exercises, I am riding bike these days. My friend bought those kinda "bike excerciser" (like the ones installed in gym) in his basement. I am having great fun (and some work out) there. heehhehehehe... Good excercises, when watching DVDs there.

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Finally, my mom found out all the "secret" when she saw me putting icy hot on my knee. She screamed at me, using exactly the same word (and a lot of extra).

She threaten me to "ground me" (plz, I am 24 already) if she sees something like this again.

Hmmm... maybe should print out SunJun's "knee cramping" case to her, and let her know how to be the champ... :eek:

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

Hey, I already have a good excuse if I lost 0-15 to u... :D

13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Sorry.... I meant "welcome back"...

Man, maybe need to check my brain, too.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    LB, hate to say this but haven't you mentioned before about your relative large waist size in comparison to other badminton players?

Though I don;t doubt your ability, less weight can put less strain on the knee joint.

And I agree about wearing some elastic knee brace. The orthopaedic people tell me these braces don't help much, but if there is some psychological benefit, well, that still is better than nothing.

15. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I see ur point, and I agree.

Even though, I kept certain amount of work out each week (badminton, basketball, biking, etc), due to improper eating habits (usually have dinner late due to overtime working, after work parttime-school, etc) I think I am over weight compare to most of ppl here. :D :(

Trying to lose more weight and get some leg strengthen training done (recently, add biking in my practice), and hope to reduce the chance of injuries.

16. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    Some people just have weak knees/shoulders/elbows/ankles we all get injured sometimes - i've been putting up with weakened ankles for ages - and i'm only 21 - no amount of rest and exercise to strengthen them seems to have worked - it only takes an unlucky fall to undo all that work and put you back to square one.

make sure it's healed good buddy - my ankles are taking longer cos i went back on court too early, shame since i have two tournaments in april and i really wanted to get some hardcore training in :(

Neil

17. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    After 1 week of rest, the knee feels better. Not as painful as last friday, but still a little bit tighten and sore here and there.

Really feel like half way dead for staying home that long. I guess I will show up for practice tonight, and try to take it easy on myself. Maybe no competitive games, but just some "relax" drills with ppl.

Errrr... at least, no diving saves tonight. :D

18. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

After evaluating the past several weeks practice, I tend to agree with ur comment.

The past month or so, focus on improving my back court game, which involve a lot of footwork training and jump smashes. Guess my poor knee could not suddenly get used to the extra forces.

Will do more strengthen training as well, such as biking.

19. RJCMGP

RJCMGP Regular Member

student/busser
    Biking, I can't wait for the snow to clear here.......ah i love biking. As for the knee, take it easy. Better to lose some time now than lose a lot of time later

20. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

I mean, those kinda of "Biking" in gym. My friend bought one and installed in his basement. Recently, I just ride that "bike" while watching movies with them. The real biking in New York city is way too dangerous.

Yeah, maybe I won't even go, if my friends don't want to go with me. Just in case, my leg falling off, need someone to drive me back. :D