User Tag List

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The more you play the better it is.

The better your technique the better it is.

I didn't try it out until I got formalised training from a former professional. And I didn't jump 5lbs in one go. Just incremental increases of 2lbs.

I'd put the opinion that most regular players will find some benefit up to 23-25lbs. Any higher than that and the number of people that will benefit will drop dramatically.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Cheung
    The more you play the better it is.

The better your technique the better it is.

I didn't try it out until I got formalised training from a former professional. And I didn't jump 5lbs in one go. Just incremental increases of 2lbs.

I'd put the opinion that most regular players will find some benefit up to 23-25lbs. Any higher than that and the number of people that will benefit will drop dramatically.
    I agree 100% with you Cheung, however, I'm only looking at the equipment properties, and not so much the human side of things(ie same skill level for different tensions of same string on same racket etc...)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You get great equipments Jason. The next area of focus should be improvement of techniques and tactics. A good coach does wonder in these areas. After one advances to a higher level, equipment becomes less of an issue.

Originally posted by JChen99
    I agree 100% with you Cheung, however, I'm only looking at the equipment properties, and not so much the human side of things(ie same skill level for different tensions of same string on same racket etc...)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok... so I was playing with Ti-10CP strung at 25 lbs for the past 2 weeks, and today for our school drop in I decided to use the Ti-10SP whose string is now at about 18-19lbs

ok... so my net shots have improved, even today when I was using the SP, net shots are still slightly clipping the net as they go over... however, I had a huge issue on my hands. For the past 2 weeks, I've managed to bring down the angle of my smashes. Before they used to land somewhere close to the back line... but with the higher tension I was able to land it somewhere inbetween the doubles service lines front n back(hard too). Today, going back to the SP, I was hitting the bird softer so I wouldn't land the bird out. I'm sure my technique hasn't changed much(if at all) but the bird jus seems to not land in(or when it does iz pretty far down the stretch)! I'm also finding that my drop shots aren't as tight as they were when I was using the CP

I recall my dad saying that the more power you're putting into your smashes, the more momentum the bird will carry when it flys out... since I smash with msotly my arms (most of the time... I tend to try not straining my wrist) I dont have the angle except when I jump... I'm wondering if since the tension of the string is lower, the contact time between the bird and the string is longer, the bird will carry more force as it leaves the racket face?(and too much in the case of the bird flying out of court before landing? )

Any thoughts on this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well, i would still recommend you to train your forearm more often and the wrist snap action for smashes. The more explosive your wrist can snap the steeper and more powerful the smash.

BTW, who strung your Ti-10 CP? Is it Badrad?

Also, is your Ti-10 CP the long version? And would you be kind enough to post the three serial numbers? I love to know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Pete LSD
    Well, i would still recommend you to train your forearm more often and the wrist snap action for smashes. The more explosive your wrist can snap the steeper and more powerful the smash.

BTW, who strung your Ti-10 CP? Is it Badrad?

Also, is your Ti-10 CP the long version? And would you be kind enough to post the three serial numbers? I love to know.
    Pete, I do train my forearms(currently able to do wrist curls at 25lbsX30repsX3sets) I CAN use wrist, but I dont know how to snap it properly(sometimes I do it as a follow through and sometimes I dont because I have a wrist band over it) besides, I've hurt it once a while ago and I try to not re-injure it so i tend to stay away from generating power from my wrist

The CPs were strung in China before it was brought here

They're both the long version, they even have the MPF on them! I was quite surprised when I got them

These are the SNs
    0076285 240726CP
    0076451 300726CP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

MPF? Please explain.

You only gave 2 serial numbers for each CP racquet. There is also another number on the bottom of the handle, carved into it. Please check.

The third number is often hard to see but it is very important.

Originally posted by JChen99
    Pete, I do train my forearms(currently able to do wrist curls at 25lbsX30repsX3sets) I CAN use wrist, but I dont know how to snap it properly(sometimes I do it as a follow through and sometimes I dont because I have a wrist band over it) besides, I've hurt it once a while ago and I try to not re-injure it so i tend to stay away from generating power from my wrist

The CPs were strung in China before it was brought here

They're both the long version, they even have the MPF on them! I was quite surprised when I got them

These are the SNs
    0076285 240726CP
    0076451 300726CP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MPF? Please explain.

You only gave 2 serial numbers for each CP racquet. There is also another number on the bottom of the handle, carved into it. Please check.

The third number is often hard to see but it is very important.
    MPF = Muscle Power Frame

and i dun think there's a third set... izit on the cap? or under the original grip?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

the butt of the handle where there is a big YY logo.

Also, which shop did you purchase this racquet from in China?

Also, did the racquets come in with a clear plastic bag printed with YY logos?
    Last edited by Pete LSD; 02-20-2003 at 01:33 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the butt of the handle where there is a big YY logo.

Also, which shop did you purchase this racquet from in China?
    Then there is no third set on this racket(both)
    I got them from BBE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

There should be a third number engraved into the butt of the handle, where there is a big, white-lettered, YY logo. The third number is very important. All CN and CP racquets have a third SN.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There should be a third number engraved into the butt of the handle, where there is a big, white-lettered, YY logo. The third number is very important.
    There isn't, the racket still came with the plastic over the handle, and there was no numbers/carvings where you described the 3rd set of SN should be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default String tensions for optimal power

What gives more power? Higher tension or lower tension?

Here's my thoughts...

Suppose 24 lbs of tension gives the most power for my swing. It is obvious that 4 lbs of tension will give me less power. It is also obvious that 104 lbs of tension will give me less power too (just imagine hitting the shuttle with a solid surface). Therefore, we can conclude that there is an optimal tension for my swing to optimize power and power will decrease if the tension is increased or decreased from that optimal tension.

When the shuttle contacts the strings there will be a trampoline effect. The lower the tension the more the string will stretch and the higher the tension the less it will stretch. Therefore there is an optimal amount of stretching in the strings that will produce the most power for my swing and any more or less stretching will produce less power (think of 4 lbs vs. 104 lbs).

When you swing harder, the strings will stretch more and if you swing softer, the strings will stretch less. Therefore, a player with a harder smash will need a higher tension than a player with a softer smash in order to produce the most power for that swing.

Peter Gade said in a live chat that he strings his racquet at such high tensions because he gets more control and power. Someone then posted that Peter's comment proves that higher tension = more power. Not neccessarily. Peter was referring to his own tension 30-32 lbs gave him more power as opposed to lower tensions. He did not say that 40lbs tension will give him even more power. If 24 lbs is the optimal tension that gives me the most power, I assure you that Peter's optimal tension must be aroung 30 lbs since I know for sure that he smashes at least 25% harder than I do!

My Conclusion: For a given swing, power slowly increases as tension increases to a certain "optimal" point and then slowly decreases after that. The optimal tension for power will depend on how hard you smash.

Any comments?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's all about preference.. Just because Peter Gade strings at 30 ish pounds and gets a crap load of power doesn't mean you will and just because other people get muchos power from 23lbs doesn't mean you will. Just experiment from a reasonable tension and go up if necessary in increments of 1lb.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think optimal power has to do with the timing of the strings's flex. When the bird hits the strings, the strings bends inwards, before bouncing back and shooting the bird off. If the bird stays exactly this long on the string bed, you get maximum power. If it stays shorter, then the power of the "bounce" is wasted. If it stays longer, then the string bounces inwards again by then so you get less power also. Power is also dependent upon your swing speed. Thus, i think the maximum power comes from choosing a tension in which your string has the "optimal timing" during your fastest swing. So, one has to consider how elastic/flexible the string is and how fast one can swing before determining the optimal tension.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by ptang777

If 24 lbs is the optimal tension that gives me the most power, I assure you that Peter's optimal tension must be aroung 30 lbs since I know for sure that he smashes at least 25% harder than I do!
    Sheesh, if Peter only smashes around 25% or faster than you, then you must have one helluva smash!!!

I also think string tension is all about preference. I know I get the most power at around the low to mid 20's pound tension range. And for sure, I would break my shoulder if I were to be smashing with a 32lb-strung racquet! Even with the low tension=more power concept, there is still a fine line between low tension and no tension. One may find decent power at 18-20 lbs but will not see much if any power increase if he were to drop the tension well below 18lbs. Everyone's optimal range differs based on a variety of factors such as arm strength, wrist strength or techniques, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: String tensions for optimal power

Originally posted by ptang777
    My Conclusion: For a given swing, power slowly increases as tension increases to a certain "optimal" point and then slowly decreases after that. The optimal tension for power will depend on how hard you smash.

Any comments?
    The fact that there is a given range where power will be optimal according to one's style of play makes a lot of sense...too low a tension will feel like a wet noodle and too high like a wooden board.

But that takes care of power only...what about control ? It would seem reasonable to state that higher tensions favor more control and lower tensions less control.

So the ideal tension should be at the upper end of your optimal power range (say 23-25 lbs in a hypothetical case). Anything above this 25 lbs upper limit would mean more control/less power and anything lower than 25 lbs less control/similar (in the 23-25 lbs range) or lower power (less than 23 lbs)...

Now, provided the above rambling is more or less sound, it might make sense to 1\ test various tensions to locate one's optimal power range; 2\ use the upper tension in this range as a starting point to test control; 3\ increase tension to select the proper power/control tradeoff...

How does that sound ?

Follow-up questions:

1\ I used a hypothetical 2 lb power range for the example, what is your own power range ?

2\ How about the relationship between main and cross tensions ? Is it always a 2 lb difference (at the sweetspot), as seems to be implied by this forum's many threads on the subject ?

Cheers,

Mike

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast