User Tag List

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by iluvthesun
    Ok I will try to make the argument more black and white.

After playing some badminton yesterday, I found that swing speed is THE factor to consider when finding your optimum tension.

Having left my racket in a relatively warm place for a week, the tension dropped quite considerably. I found that I wasn't hitting as hard as I used to. In fact, I found that slower swing speeds produced the same if not more power compared to higher swing speeds. In some cases I felt the shuttle being dragged back into the string bed. I wasn't very satisfied, so the following week I left my racket in my car boot. Tension increased and I found that higher swing speeds produced more power.

In conclusion, I feel it's right to say that, since most of us here have high'ish swing speeds, we ought to use higher tensions for more power.

Any feedback appreciated.
    Sorry to arrive a bit late but.. Your tension would just go back to normal corresponding with the room temperature if you've left your racquet in a warm place. That's why someone's suggestion of leaving it in the fridge didn't work. After taking it out of the fridge, it would go back to room temperature.

That's why some players here leave their racquets to 'heat up' after they bring it from the cold or what not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can we get some approximate data points on the graph?

I'm guessing that at around 22lbs, energy transfer is optimal.

Also, even with no or low tension..(ie strings just woven through the frame, but not pulling it tight) you still get repulsion, since you still have a "trampoline effect". But it would be low.

And when tension is around 30lbs..it would be like hitting it with a brick. You can generate power if you swing, but none of the energy transfered is elastic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmm..

for professional players...

their racquet is strung at higher tension >25lbs and yet.. smashes are FASTER.......... than most of us who strings <25lbs........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You forgot the clause "All things being equal ..."

Professional players' smashes are so much faster because they're professional players, not because of high string tension. In one sticky, a poster very accurately stated:

"If you play with the latest laser-guided, automatic swing, super-duper Yonex offering ... and Peter Gade uses a cast-iron frying pan, you will still lose to pan-wielding Peter Gade"

or something close to that.

-dave

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All the theories about optimum tension are just that. Now you can do one better. Just try and test out those theories. Using the same racquet, same string type, and same stringer with the same stringing machine, string your racquet an extra one lb and compare with the previous tension. Do this until you come a point where you feel you get the most power. For fine-tuning, you can try 1/3 lb adjustment. I won't be surprised if the optimum tension is different for different people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tend to think that the old theories on string tensions need revising, as I think that the flexability now on raquet shafts are much greater and will effect the movement of the shuttle as it leaves the head, so perhaps tight strings will give good power, as well as control, on flexable shaft raquets

But would be nice to have a conclusion once and for all, or is it just keep experimenting with string tensions till you are happy

MaD^ProFF

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's a combination of a number of factors, as previously stated.

Racquet flex, and a person's strength/technique, will help determine how string tension should be.

I play my racquets at roughly 25-28lbs, as I find that even with the stiffer shaft on some racquets, they looser tension on the string bed robs me of momentum that I generate...
    But that's just rehashing stuff that's already been said here already...

Sheesh... when some of these people search, they really do go back to the beginning LOL

-Kelvin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah we have to take into account that the head of the shuttle is a bit soft and can bounce off a hard surface..

so we have to maximize the force we get from the bounce of the strings and the innate rubber-like behaviour of the cork

I also heard another theory.. as string tension increases, the size of the sweet spot decreases.. but more power converges at that spot

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A longer racquet or a longer shaft will give you more power at any given tension.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    A longer racquet or a longer shaft will give you more power at any given tension.
    Only if all other things remain equal.

If you have the strength to swing it at the same angular velocity,
    being longer means that the racquet head would be moving at a greater speed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it sort of goes like this:

Low tension=more power overall because of the trampoline effect, while compensating the accuracy

High tension=less power overall unless you generate enough power (ie smashes) because then the hard surface will meet the shuttle with much more power, and there is definately more accuracy.

from my exprience, high tension does generally give you less power until you learn to generate enough power to use the hard surface of the tight strings to your advantage. Overall though, if you're not an extremely powerful player, I would say low tension will probably give you more power than the high tension, simply because of the trampoline effect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always understood this about the shaft:

Longer Shaft: earlier time of contact, therefore one can say more powerful. Definately a better angle, or reduced time in getting to the bird

Shorter Shaft: more powerful if you know how to do really strong quick snaps.

Stiff Shaft: more power when smashing, and when the player himself has the strength to generate that energy to use a stiff shaft

Flexible shaft: since it snaps back then forward, it initially generates more power for players. However, this is probably more for players who are all around, rather than those who enjoy smashing most of the time, simply because when you generate enough power, a stiff shaft is better suited to the fast shots

so in essence, both sides are right, I would say. it's the same thing with the string tension. It depends on the power of the player, and their playing style.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default U guys know nothing!!!

U can't use physics to determine which has more power, cuz u don't konw physics. U guys are thinking of the trampoline effect. Like an elastic, u think that if it's loose, then there's more elasticity and there's more power. In fact it's wrong. The more tension and more power. Think of a elastic band, when u wanna shoot a paper clip far, u gotta stretch it more, that gives it more tension. Just like your racket, but think of your racket as already tensioned, so it's in default mode, and it's armed and ready to shoot anytime. While a low tension will give u more control. Since tension creates power, less power will give u better control. Like throwing a ball for instance. U will have much more control if u throw it slow rather than whipping it with all your might. But people these days rely to much on power and strings. Does power really make u a better player? It just for showing off purposes. But even if u want power, at least produce your own power, rather than heavily relying on your racket to produce that power for u. If your a beginner and doesn't have a clue on choosing between high or low tension, just do a bit of math and science. Try a high tension racket and a low tension racket. See which tension will give u the best control and best power. There's a formula i learned in math last year, but i've seemed to have forgotten it. Well if u can find someone to teach it to u, then u'll do fine. Or just do a bit of testing instead. Shoot some birdies in a bucket or sumthing. Or do a drop test on your strings. Drop a marble are some height on two rackets and determine which has higher tension, and power. From playing, as an experience player, all this that i am saying is try. HIGH Tension = POWER , LOW Tension = Control

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tranvi007
    U can't use physics to determine which has more power, cuz u don't konw physics. U guys are thinking of the trampoline effect.T
    there's a formula i learned in math last year, but i've seemed to have forgotten it. Well if u can find someone to teach it to u, then u'll do fine. Or just do a bit of testing instead.
    You seem to be quite confident from reading you first sentence. However by reading the rest, it shows how ignorant you are by developing a thesis you barely know.
    Last edited by Brave_Turtle; 09-13-2004 at 10:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default String tension preferences

Please read my notes below. This will help you also in determining your prefered string tension. This is also applicable for tennis rackets. Just keep in mind the tension limits. Do not go beyond the rackte's tension limits. Otherwise, you will break your racket or you have tennis elbow.

String tension preference for Power: please use mid- to lower tension;
    String tension preference for Control: please use mid- to higher tension.
    Likewise, the longer the racket shaft the more power you can apply on the string because you have longer leverage than a shorter racket shaft. This is law of mechanics ( in Physics......recall that MaximumForce = moment arm x weight of object...)

--end---

U can't use physics to determine which has more power, cuz u don't konw physics. U guys are thinking of the trampoline effect. Like an elastic, u think that if it's loose, then there's more elasticity and there's more power. In fact it's wrong. The more tension and more power. Think of a elastic band, when u wanna shoot a paper clip far, u gotta stretch it more, that gives it more tension. Just like your racket, but think of your racket as already tensioned, so it's in default mode, and it's armed and ready to shoot anytime. While a low tension will give u more control. Since tension creates power, less power will give u better control. Like throwing a ball for instance. U will have much more control if u throw it slow rather than whipping it with all your might. But people these days rely to much on power and strings. Does power really make u a better player? It just for showing off purposes. But even if u want power, at least produce your own power, rather than heavily relying on your racket to produce that power for u. If your a beginner and doesn't have a clue on choosing between high or low tension, just do a bit of math and science. Try a high tension racket and a low tension racket. See which tension will give u the best control and best power. There's a formula i learned in math last year, but i've seemed to have forgotten it. Well if u can find someone to teach it to u, then u'll do fine. Or just do a bit of testing instead. Shoot some birdies in a bucket or sumthing. Or do a drop test on your strings. Drop a marble are some height on two rackets and determine which has higher tension, and power. From playing, as an experience player, all this that i am saying is try. HIGH Tension = POWER , LOW Tension = Control

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reply for Red: That's a wrong logic; If you want more power, then you will have to stretch more, however, in order to stretch more without breaking the band, you will have to lower the tension so the band can actually stretch more.

Reply for Green: The statements are invalid and they are irrelevant.

Reply for Blue: Power doesn't necessary make you a better player, but Power is certainly not a show-off. Are you suggesting people who smash, drive, and clear in the games are all trying to show off? Push your idea to extreme, no matter how little you hit the shuttle, there is always Power involved in there. If you say Power is for showing off purpose, you shouldn't even play badminton at all because then you will be the one who is trying to show off.

Reply for Purple: If you can't remember it and you can't describe it. Why did you bring it up? For credits? Nope, you are not going to get anything by saying "something I learned but I don't remember it now."

Think again on the tension vs. Power and come back later with things you can actually prove (in correct ways). By the way, remember to dig out the formulas from books in case you can't remember.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default reply tranvi007

HAHAHAHAHAHA we are amused

but wait! april fools day is 5 moths over due

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast