Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Best advise

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    All the theories about optimum tension are just that. Now you can do one better. Just try and test out those theories. Using the same racquet, same string type, and same stringer with the same stringing machine, string your racquet an extra one lb and compare with the previous tension. Do this until you come a point where you feel you get the most power. For fine-tuning, you can try 1/3 lb adjustment. I won't be surprised if the optimum tension is different for different people.
    Dear Taneepak,
    This is the best advise on tension. We have been trying this out. We started from 21LB compare to 22LB and now we are comparing a Ti-swing SX at 23LB to the other one at 24LB. As we like 24LB more, the next time will be 24LB compare to 25LB.

Serious Badders might consider testing this out rather than just stick with theories.
    Best regards

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Everything being relative...

I second Taneepak's suggestion. Given that everybody's swing and ability is different, one must find the optimal tension for himself. For the pros, 30lbs tension doesn't give them power, rather it's the feel and control they're looking for in that setting since hitting hard is pretty much standard among them anyway. To hit harder, technique ( and timing) becomes alot more important than strength.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Low Tension : Most likely for short and very near net shots... with a little touch on the bird to land there however not suitable for smashing but clear not sure... and bad sound for smashes...

High Tension : Mainly used for smashes and good sound ... More strength needed though...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default reply

I swear, someone's going to get a Ph.D. for figuring this out conclusively, and he'll say "I'd like to thank all those BF'ers who contributed to my thesis..."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its quite interesting to see how many different explainations there are for each side.

personally, i always thought...
    high tension = control, feel, accuracy.
    lower (not low) tension = power oriented.

when you are looking for "feel," tight is better, isn't it? when something is loose and sliding around, it robs you of that sensation.
    what i can relate that to is a tight fitting pair of silk gloves, as compared to a very very very loose ill-fitting pair of gloves.
    the tight skin-tight pair will obviously offer you more tactile feel, would it not?

the lower tensions on the other hand, as all objects with tensile properties, will generate this "trampoline" effect that people refer to. its just like an elastic and shouldn't require any explaination.

the ideal tension obviously lies on the user, as there are so many subjective factors (listed dozens of times throughout BF).

the choice of tension lies generally as a gradient.
    moving in one direction will sacrifice the other.
    moving towards lower tensions, gives power, sacrificing feel/accuracy, while moving towards higher tensions will compromise power, to gain this increased accuracy.

there is a range within this gradience that is most ideal for an individual.
    this range will produce the best power and accuracy for this particular individual.
    now this is based on everything spoken of earlier, the largest being strenght of the user.
    if the player can generate massive power, (s)he does not need to rely on this trampoline effect to aid in generation of power, thus, their range increases, allowing them to use higher tensions, despite of that at the expense of trampoline aid.

we, the normal user, will require help from more flexible shafts, perhaps longer racquets, lower tensions, to generate this acceptable amount of power, since we don't have the mad leet skills to pull of super smashes with technique, since arm strength just doesn't cut it.

this arm strenght can only take you so far, since as someone on this board said once "the shuttlecock weighs next to nothing, and the racquet, weighs a little more than next to nothing, so it doesn't take muscles to smash hard."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally What I think was.....

String it around 25lbs - 28lbs for pros, as the tension definitely drop to 25lbs in 1 to 2 weeks time. For begineer, string it at 18lbs - 22lbs to train on your hand power 1st then string it 2lbs more everytime you think you had become better... I felt that 22lbs is rather lousy, as I'm a advance player. It doesn't really generate power with my 18lbs - 22lbs string UNLESS you turn your hand way back and jump smashing the cork. 22lbs also drop its tension in 1 month for me, it also produced the dingding sound which doesn't sound stiff enough. Btw, my current string is bg65 which is really thick 0.70mm that doesn't really do well in feel, power, impact BUT it is good in durability which is not my preferences. For high feel, impact, good control, i advise you people to string bg66(0.66mm) or bg68ti(0.68mm) or bg85(0.67mm).

I would appreciate if anyone could correct my explaination above.

*Cheers*

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up same with me!

yes i believe its the same with me. I have mine strung to 23 and i really think it all goes down to how flexible a player is. I used to have mine at 21 only and when i strung mine to 23 i only had to practice on my drop shots for only about 2 weeks to get a good feel of a high tensioned racket and of course my smash was stronger as before with more accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by aldous
    I believe it all depends on the players and racquet. Some people/racquet get more power with high tension and some people/racquet get more power with lower tenision. The average people will get more power with low tension around 18 to 21 lbs. If you string lower than 18 I don't think you will be able to get a lot of power. I am a hard hitter, I love to strung around 20 to 22 lbs. More than 22 lbs I will feel a lot less power. Guys! have you ever try those prestrung racquet, those strung really low tension? Do you get a lot of power out of those racquets? Personally I don't think so. Therefore It all depends on a lot of other factors. Be objective, if you don't feel comfortable with your racquet tension. Try different setting next time or try other people's racquet with different tension. Until find one that you comfortable with. If you seen some people got really powerful shot. That aren't mean you can get more powerful shot with their racquet or they get higher or lower tension string. If you don't believe me try it. Good luck and Merry Chirstmas!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The trampoline effect of low tension is supposed to give you power. Is this true. I don't quite agree. Trampoline effect is at best unpredictable, good when you hit the shuttle at the very centre of the stringbed but terrible awy from the centre. Keep in mind the sweet spot is not in the centre, it is above the centre and here the trampoline effect is uneven.
    Tensions of at least 25lbs, preferably in the range of 27-31lbs, will give you real power and control.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The "trampoline effect" is present at all tensions. The difference with a higher tension is:

• smaller sweetspot
    • trampoline effect is a more rapid but more powerful rebound, and a smaller overall displacement (hence more power for people with fast swings, less power for those who can't swing fast enough to make the strings "trampoline" at all)

If the trampoline effect was not present, then badminton racket strings would be like a flat piece of wood

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    Trampoline effect is at best unpredictable, good when you hit the shuttle at the very centre of the stringbed but terrible awy from the centre. ... Keep in mind the sweet spot is not in the centre, it is above the centre and here the trampoline effect is uneven.
    What do you mean by uneven?
    Do you mean if you were to consistently hit the shuttle at exactly the same place on the racquet, you would get different results from each shot?

Or do you mean that, away from the centre, a small difference in where you hit the shuttle can have proportionately larger differences in the result of the shot?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum
    The difference with a higher tension is:
    trampoline effect is a more rapid but more powerful rebound, and a smaller overall displacement
    do you mean power in the sense of energy/time
    i.e same energy but smaller time = more power.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Nicholls
    What do you mean by uneven?
    Do you mean if you were to consistently hit the shuttle at exactly the same place on the racquet, you would get different results from each shot?

Or do you mean that, away from the centre, a small difference in where you hit the shuttle can have proportionately larger differences in the result of the shot?
    What I mean is that at low tensions the trampoline effect is more pronounced. If the shuttle is hit in the centre of the racquet the trampoline effect is at it's maximum and the rebound is even, the hitting point being the most equaldistant from the four corners of the stringbed. For off-centre hits or hits higher up, the rebound is more uneven as some strings, being shorter have less rebound, whilst the longer strings have more rebound. This also applies to high tensions but to a lesser extent. This is one reason why a high tension racquet can give you incredible power in drives and when returning smashes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Relationship of string tension and power

It seems to me that none of you have discussed the temperature and climatic condition of the location of play. Higher temperature and humidity will allow for higher string tension. Take Gosen GS-80 for example, it can be strung up to #24 in summer or #22 in Winter in Vancouver, Canada. The same string can string up to #27 or #29 in Hong Kong.

Different brand will have different tolerant. Gosen GS-80 can go up to #24 very comfortably, but Hi-Qua B696 cannot; #18 seems to be better with this string.

Technique is an important factor. In this case, timing is very important to generate power. If you hit the shuttle to early too soon, you'll not generate power at all. Many players play both nylon and feather shuttles. This is not recommended because these shuttles have different trajectories. The landing distance between the two types of shuttles can be more than two feet.

Racquet shape of course is another factor as well. The larger the sweet spot, the lesser the power. This is simple mathematics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmm, for me its basically this (and i've read it in a couple of sites, by the pro's themselves)

lower tension = more power, less control
    higher tension = less power, more control

this is because i've played with racquets at 20-22lbs tension and i could hit it quite far
    and today i've just tried a 24lbs tension racquet and i discovered that my lob shots were weak but the control on the racquet was heavenly

how the heck does pros play at 30-32lbs is baffling to me
    they must have gorilla hands

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by strinq
    and today i've just tried a 24lbs tension racquet and i discovered that my lob shots were weak but the control on the racquet was heavenly

how the heck does pros play at 30-32lbs is baffling to me
    they must have gorilla hands

I think it's all relative; pros need more control than power.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Without a doubt there is an optimal tension for power that depends on swing speed and probably on the weight of the shuttle as well.

Think of power as the sum of two vectors. If you swing slow and your tension is high, you won't generate any trampoline effect so it will be like hitting the shuttle with a plank of wood at the extreme.

Generally speaking, lower tension will produce more power but only to a point. If you swing really fast and tension is too low, the trampoline will still be winding up when your swing is completed.

What you want is the trampoline rebounding vector to add to your swing vector to product maximum net speed and this depends on the individual, swing length, swing speed, racquet flex, where on the strings you hit it, weight of the shuttle etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't forget two other important factors: thickness of string and weather temperature. My 0.70mm string works perfectly alright @24/26 in summer time. In winter, a 0.68mm string can only take up to @18.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast