User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Peter Gade's mystery racial comment??

Hello, guys

take a look at the video clip from the following link

http://www.tudou.com/v/8NRk_0Ow9bk

This clip is from the second set of the final of the 2010 swiss open. Peter lost a long rally, got pissed off, slammed his racket to the ground, and got a yellow card. THEN he walked toward the net and asked to change the shuttle, but apparently his opponent ( ChenLong from China) refused. Peter got pissed off again, and said " Well, Chinaman is Chinaman"

There is a huge debate about this going on right now ( on a Chinese badminton forum). Some people argued that "Chinaman" is not a racial slur, or Peter was talking to the audience etc. My opinion is that Peter definitely knew what he was talking about. The reasons why he said that may be complicated, but it;s definitely wrong to said that in front of his opponent and the camera.

Now some guy shoot an email to the Badminton Association of Denmark, and they replied that what Peter said was "One time in a tournament", which doesn't look like the case for me. (note that Peter pronounced "ch", not "t" ).

So I guess I will post this issue here and want to see what you guys think.
    What did Peter say in this video clip? And what you think about it?
    Courteous discussions are welcome, but no personal attack or political stuff please.
    Last edited by logatech; 10-15-2010 at 02:30 PM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's the reply from Finn Trærup-Hansen, Director of Elite Sports, Badminton Association of Denmark:
    Thank you for drawing our attention to the debate about Peter Gade in China.

More officials of the Badminton Association of Denmark have reviewed the incident in the video. Among the officials is one person of Chinese origin. No one hear Peter Gade use the words you are suggesting. We hear “One time in a tournament”. We are also clear that there are no signs of Peter Gade addressing his opponent in any way (words or signs).

In addition I have discussed the matter with Peter Gade. He confirms he shows frustration following the outcome of a very good rally. He finds that the umpire shows very little understanding of players when handing him a yellow card for the incident. It is the only time in the tournament Peter Gade has expressed his frustration in such a way– therefore the outburst: “One time in a tournament”.

The BA of Denmark does not accept racial remarks from Danish players nor against Danish players. Peter Gade has never expressed or shown racial motives in his actions – on the court or off the court. Therefore it is disappointing to Peter Gade and the BA of Denmark that there are people in China putting forward such accusations.

Now, you have received the response from the BA of Denmark I hope you will have the courteous of telling us in which capacity you have interest in this wrongful story. Are you a journalist, badminton official or do you have other official connection to the sport?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ehh..

Doesn't sound to me like he's making a racial outburst here..
    We should consider the fact that he probably is breathing heavily, and his accent isn't perfect english, so it might sound different.. but not anything on purpose i think

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let me tell you that is 100% down to danish accent and indeed he is saying "one time in the tournament".
    You should look up some danish video to hear them pronounce the letter "T"

Listen to the "Tuborg" pronounciation here at 0:26sec http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHL6QzJiIMg
    Last edited by demolidor; 10-15-2010 at 02:55 PM.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by demolidor View Post
    Let me tell you that is 100% down to danish accent and indeed he is saying "one time in the tournament".

Listen to the "Tuborg" pronounciation here at 0:26sec http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHL6QzJiIMg
    what an unfortunate coincidence in sound.

also the fact that he raised one finger indicating "one time" also back the fact that he is saying "one time in a tournament"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't understand all the conversations, but he did say "Tuborg" as "toobag", right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    what an unfortunate coincidence in sound.

also the fact that he raised one finger indicating "one time" also back the fact that he is saying "one time in a tournament"
    are you sure that this is what Peter said? I put on my headphones and listen to it over and over again.
    If Peter said that "one time" thing, what does that mean at that particular situation?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A "T" with a vowel behind to me always sounds like a "ch" when danes pronounce it. Maybe they can't hear it themselves anymore Yes they swallow a lot of letters, I think it's much harder to grasp than swedish ...
    How can you even mistake "one time" for "Chinaman" it's not even close imo"

Now that I think of it I should have the complete match and haven't watched it anyway so might check it out later. Next thing you're gonna tell me they've based it on these 7 seconds .

This one is much better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhhQK...eature=related Tuborg [ch-u-bor] around 12-15 secs and 38-40ish range as well.

edit:
    Haha there even is a how to pronounce Tuborg on the web: http://www.forvo.com/word/tuborg/
    Last edited by demolidor; 10-15-2010 at 03:19 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by logatech View Post
    are you sure that this is what Peter said? I put on my headphones and listen to it over and over again.
    If Peter said that "one time" thing, what does that mean at that particular situation?
    Before he said that, he was given a yellow card by the empire for throwing his racket i believe.. so he's probably refering to the incident as being the first one in the tournament..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A "T" with a vowel behind to me always sounds like a "ch" when danes pronounce it. Maybe they can't hear it themselves anymore Yes they swallow a lot of letters, I think it's much harder to grasp than swedish ...
    How can you even mistake "one time" for "Chinaman" it's not even close imo"

Now that I think of it I should have the complete match and haven't watched it anyway so might check it out later. Next thing you're gonna tell me they've based it on these 7 seconds .

This one is much better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhhQK...eature=related Tuborg [ch-u-bor] around 12-15 secs and 38-40ish range as well.

edit:
    Haha there even is a how to pronounce Tuborg on the web: http://www.forvo.com/word/tuborg/
    I don't think that Peter has a strong accent when he speaks english. Check the following video

At 02:50, Peter said ".....it is difficult to me to make fewer mistakes ...". He pronounced "to" very clearly, not like " choo "

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds to me like its the same too/choo that he says in the match against Chen Long..
    Nevertheless, how is "One 'chime' in the tournament" a racial outburst?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kimmiboy2 View Post
    Sounds to me like its the same too/choo that he says in the match against Chen Long..
    Nevertheless, how is "One 'chime' in the tournament" a racial outburst?
    It sounds to me that he was saying "well, chinaman is chinaman"

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by logatech View Post
    I don't think that Peter has a strong accent when he speaks english. Check the following video

At 02:50, Peter said ".....it is difficult to me to make fewer mistakes ...". He pronounced "to" very clearly, not like " choo "
    It's not really the same is it: a post-tournament press conference vs in the midst of a battle when you rely on your basic instincts. He knows very well how it should be in english but if he had said it during the match I'm sure it would've sounded tchoo as well ...

Logatech must be some knockoff, I suggest you buy the real thing for clear sound
    Last edited by demolidor; 10-15-2010 at 03:47 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eh... that's quite a stretch..

Kwun had an interesting point, he did raise ONE finger.. I don't know what else to tell you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Logatech must be some knockoff, I suggest you buy the real thing for clear sound
    Hahahah..........

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is the full clip of the racket throwing incident after which indeed he got a yellow card. I don't know why it wasn't posted in the first place to put it in the right context http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/u168P2O55xM/
    Clearly he is reacting to getting a yellow card; shuttle change being refused isn't even an issue ...
    Chen Jin has granted the request and is picking up the new shuttle at the end of the clip.

If you look for trouble you will find it one way or another ...
    Last edited by demolidor; 10-15-2010 at 04:02 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

..i concur with whyau's post referring to Finn Trærup-Hansen, Director of Elite Sports, Badminton Association of Denmark's explanation and after hearing it a few times, Gade basically said "One time in a/the tournament" (the 1st time i heard it, it wasn't clear)..

with that, i think we can end this discussion or mystery..
    Last edited by ctjcad; 10-15-2010 at 04:12 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast