Peter Gade's mystery racial comment??

Discussion in 'Denmark Professional Players' started by logatech, Oct 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. logatech

logatech Regular Member

Hello, guys

take a look at the video clip from the following link

[video]http://www.tudou.com/v/8NRk_0Ow9bk[/video]

This clip is from the second set of the final of the 2010 swiss open. Peter lost a long rally, got pissed off, slammed his racket to the ground, and got a yellow card. THEN he walked toward the net and asked to change the shuttle, but apparently his opponent ( ChenLong from China) refused. Peter got pissed off again, and said " Well, Chinaman is Chinaman"

There is a huge debate about this going on right now ( on a Chinese badminton forum). Some people argued that "Chinaman" is not a racial slur, or Peter was talking to the audience etc. My opinion is that Peter definitely knew what he was talking about. The reasons why he said that may be complicated, but it;s definitely wrong to said that in front of his opponent and the camera.

Now some guy shoot an email to the Badminton Association of Denmark, and they replied that what Peter said was "One time in a tournament", which doesn't look like the case for me. (note that Peter pronounced "ch", not "t" ).

So I guess I will post this issue here and want to see what you guys think.
    What did Peter say in this video clip? And what you think about it?
    Courteous discussions are welcome, but no personal attack or political stuff please.

#1 logatech, Oct 15, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  2. whyau

whyau Regular Member

IT consultant
    Here's the reply from Finn Trærup-Hansen, Director of Elite Sports, Badminton Association of Denmark:

3. kimmiboy2

kimmiboy2 Regular Member

Ehh..

Doesn't sound to me like he's making a racial outburst here..
    We should consider the fact that he probably is breathing heavily, and his accent isn't perfect english, so it might sound different.. but not anything on purpose i think :)

4. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Let me tell you that is 100% down to danish accent and indeed he is saying "one time in the tournament".
    You should look up some danish video to hear them pronounce the letter "T" [​IMG]

Listen to the "Tuborg" pronounciation here at 0:26sec http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHL6QzJiIMg

#4 demolidor, Oct 15, 2010
  5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    what an unfortunate coincidence in sound.

also the fact that he raised one finger indicating "one time" also back the fact that he is saying "one time in a tournament"

6. logatech

logatech Regular Member

I can't understand all the conversations, but he did say "Tuborg" as "toobag", right?

7. logatech

logatech Regular Member

are you sure that this is what Peter said? I put on my headphones and listen to it over and over again.
    If Peter said that "one time" thing, what does that mean at that particular situation?

8. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

A "T" with a vowel behind to me always sounds like a "ch" when danes pronounce it. Maybe they can't hear it themselves anymore :p Yes they swallow a lot of letters, I think it's much harder to grasp than swedish ...
    How can you even mistake "one time" for "Chinaman" it's not even close imo"

Now that I think of it I should have the complete match and haven't watched it anyway so might check it out later. Next thing you're gonna tell me they've based it on these 7 seconds :D.

This one is much better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhhQKAtkiSk&feature=related Tuborg [ch-u-bor] around 12-15 secs and 38-40ish range as well.

edit:
    Haha there even is a how to pronounce Tuborg on the web: http://www.forvo.com/word/tuborg/

#8 demolidor, Oct 15, 2010
  9. kimmiboy2

kimmiboy2 Regular Member

Before he said that, he was given a yellow card by the empire for throwing his racket i believe.. so he's probably refering to the incident as being the first one in the tournament..

10. logatech

logatech Regular Member

I don't think that Peter has a strong accent when he speaks english. Check the following video

[video=youtube;4axXRYtprHk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4axXRYtprHk[/video]

At 02:50, Peter said ".....it is difficult to me to make fewer mistakes ...". He pronounced "to" very clearly, not like " choo "

11. kimmiboy2

kimmiboy2 Regular Member

Sounds to me like its the same too/choo that he says in the match against Chen Long..
    Nevertheless, how is "One 'chime' in the tournament" a racial outburst?

12. logatech

logatech Regular Member

It sounds to me that he was saying "well, chinaman is chinaman"

13. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

It's not really the same is it: a post-tournament press conference vs in the midst of a battle when you rely on your basic instincts. He knows very well how it should be in english but if he had said it during the match I'm sure it would've sounded tchoo as well ...

Logatech must be some knockoff, I suggest you buy the real thing for clear sound ;):p

#13 demolidor, Oct 15, 2010
  14. kimmiboy2

kimmiboy2 Regular Member

Eh... that's quite a stretch..

Kwun had an interesting point, he did raise ONE finger.. I don't know what else to tell you :)

15. kimmiboy2

kimmiboy2 Regular Member

Hahahah.......... :D

16. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Here is the full clip of the racket throwing incident after which indeed he got a yellow card. I don't know why it wasn't posted in the first place to put it in the right context http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/u168P2O55xM/
    Clearly he is reacting to getting a yellow card; shuttle change being refused isn't even an issue :rolleyes: ...
    Chen Jin has granted the request and is picking up the new shuttle at the end of the clip.

If you look for trouble you will find it one way or another ...

#16 demolidor, Oct 15, 2010
  17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..i concur with whyau's post referring to Finn Trærup-Hansen, Director of Elite Sports, Badminton Association of Denmark's explanation and after hearing it a few times, Gade basically said "One time in a/the tournament" (the 1st time i heard it, it wasn't clear)..

with that, i think we can end this discussion or mystery..:cool:

#17 ctjcad, Oct 15, 2010
  18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    you hear what you want to hear.

i watched the toudou video and i see one finger going up, and hear "one time in a tournament"

19. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Its funny how China people can be so sensitive, generations ago perhaps but today?

Personally its very difficult to meet international players who are racists, they simply won't last very long.

20. logatech

logatech Regular Member

Please post constructive comments. It is not an issue of sensitivity. My understanding of what Peter said is based on solid evidence. You may not agree with me on this, but please don't post unrelated stuff that is based the assumption that you are absolutely right. Also please use Chinese people instead of China people. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.