User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good question.

I have no idea except I enjoy owning those rackets. The Mrs keep asking when I'll ever play with them which frankly I'll never. I get a few strokes when I first got them and then quickly cut the strings. They go into storage and never see the light until the next time I need to dig something out and will take some time to admire them. Maybe the real purpose is to provide the needed distraction whenever I need to dig through the storage area.

Thankfully, rackets are not too expensive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by weeyeh View Post
    Good question.

I have no idea except I enjoy owning those rackets. The Mrs keep asking when I'll ever play with them which frankly I'll never. I get a few strokes when I first got them and then quickly cut the strings. They go into storage and never see the light until the next time I need to dig something out and will take some time to admire them. Maybe the real purpose is to provide the needed distraction whenever I need to dig through the storage area.

Thankfully, rackets are not too expensive.
    In time, it will be more expensive.

Just look at company redundancies; they are furloughed to start with, then...

...like the Sage from Omaha says: I won't say I will never sell (shares at his B. Hathaway!)!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My purpose for collecting rackets (Ti10s) are as follows:

I like black in a racket. Coincidently, it also suits my playing style. I like to own a piece of the racket that made history as the fastest smash by FHF in MD.

As for bragging rights, well....maybe a little....

Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    this brings up an interesting question:

what are everyone's purpose for collecting rackets?

i collect them because i know they will be rare and i enjoy owning rare and classic racket. i know some may fetch a hefty price years from now (just look at the sky high prices for AT700 and Ti10 1st gen) but personally that not my reason. even if i have 10 brand new 1st gen AT700 with me today that will hardly pay for a family trip, and for sure won't let me retire. i need a Renoir or something for that to happen. because i am such a badminton lover, i enjoy being able to own a rarity or a piece of badminton history.

i guess it is a little bit of a bragging rights too. imagine if i have a brand new Boron2? and with that, the ability to share with everyone my collection in 10, 20 yrs time.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this brings up an interesting question:

what are everyone's purpose for collecting rackets?

i collect them because i know they will be rare and i enjoy owning rare and classic racket. i know some may fetch a hefty price years from now (just look at the sky high prices for AT700 and Ti10 1st gen) but personally that not my reason. even if i have 10 brand new 1st gen AT700 with me today that will hardly pay for a family trip, and for sure won't let me retire. i need a Renoir or something for that to happen. because i am such a badminton lover, i enjoy being able to own a rarity or a piece of badminton history.

i guess it is a little bit of a bragging rights too. imagine if i have a brand new Boron2? and with that, the ability to share with everyone my collection in 10, 20 yrs time.
    I like to collect just for the peice of history. I tihnk (as you say) people collect them for the value, but for me the money is not that big, or important - they cost a lot to buy in the first place!

As I also said before brand new is not important to me. Quite a few of my rackets are very well used, but I think they will play similar & I like to try them out see what the fuss is about.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This are my collections that i've retired them from active duties:

1. Yonex Blacken Knight II
    2. Carbonex 9 ( 3UG4/3UG5)
    3. Carbonex 8 DX (3UG4)
    4. Carbonex 15
    5. Carbonex 9 Tour Sp

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jamesd20 View Post
    As I also said before brand new is not important to me. Quite a few of my rackets are very well used, but I think they will play similar & I like to try them out see what the fuss is about.
    That would be fine if one could get on with it and sell them after experimenting. But that can be a problem.

I've bought a few racquets out of curiosity, knowing that they probably wouldn't suit me, but would be sell-able. But it seems difficult to consider parting with some. Is it shame (I'm unworthy of the racket)? Pride (someday I'll tame it)? There are probably a few other deadly sins involved too.

As for you wonderful folks who have racket "museums" in their homes, that is great. At least it's cheaper than collecting cars.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fidget View Post
    That would be fine if one could get on with it and sell them after experimenting. But that can be a problem.

I've bought a few racquets out of curiosity, knowing that they probably wouldn't suit me, but would be sell-able. But it seems difficult to consider parting with some. Is it shame (I'm unworthy of the racket)? Pride (someday I'll tame it)? There are probably a few other deadly sins involved too.

As for you wonderful folks who have racket "museums" in their homes, that is great. At least it's cheaper than collecting cars.
    If you have any of the classics you won't have a problem selling them...buying them in the first place is the problem

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a few Yonex "modern classics" (ie pre-AT900/NS era) in my 'warehouse'

5 x MP77 TW/TH (grey)
    1 x MP77 SP (purple/silver)
    2 x MP88 SP (red)
    1 x MP99 IP
    5 x MP100 SP/IP
    4 x AT800DE JP/SP
    3 x AT700 IP/SP 1st Gen
    2 x Ti10 IP 1st Gen
    1 x Cab30 JP

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sealman View Post
    I have a few Yonex "modern classics" (ie pre-AT900/NS era) in my 'warehouse'

5 x MP77 TW/TH (grey)
    1 x MP77 SP (purple/silver)
    2 x MP88 SP (red)
    1 x MP99 IP
    5 x MP100 SP/IP
    4 x AT800DE JP/SP
    3 x AT700 IP/SP 1st Gen
    2 x Ti10 IP 1st Gen
    1 x Cab30 JP
    Are you interested at all in selling your AT700 IP 1st gen ? I hve been looking for one for ages...

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

i don't think collecting is for the casual buyers. each racket can easily cost US$100 to $200 when new. a collection of 10 can buy a nice camera. a few more can probably buy a decent used car!

i do it for the love. there is no price tag for love. there is only a limit by the bank account budget.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how many of you keep rackets for collection purposes only, and never intend to string/use them for play?

these racket would normally have some collection value. i have a few that falls into this category.
    AT700
    ...i know some may fetch a hefty price years from now (just look at the sky high prices for AT700 and Ti10 1st gen) but personally that not my reason.
    ..i thought your significant other is enjoying and wielding the AT700s recently in a tourney? shouldn't they be hidden and secured from any daylight?..what if, for some unfortunate chance, they're being used and break??..

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad View Post
    ..i thought your significant other is enjoying and wielding the AT700s? shouldn't they be hidden and secured from any daylight?..what if, for some unfortunate chance, they're being used and break??..
    i have an extra spare one, brand new, unstrung.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have an extra spare one, brand new, unstrung.
    1st gen ? Can I buy it ?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LD rules! View Post
    1st gen ? Can I buy it ?
    I think if you read Kwuns posts you will find the answer...

(Hint - No)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fidget View Post

Ben Franklin wrote in his autobiography:

In reality, there is, perhaps no one of our natural passions so hard to subdue as pride. Disguise it, struggle with it, beat it down, stifle it, mortify it as much as one pleases, it is still alive, and will every now and then peep out and show itself; you will see it perhaps often in this history; for even if I could conceive that I had completely overcome it, I should probably be proud of my humility.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the following:

Carbonex 21 (navy beige color)
    AT800 Limited (Singapore Sunrise Superbrand)
    AT700 Limited (Dragon motif on the shaft)

Unlike for collection purposes, I use them in my weekly training & badminton sessions, just like my other yonex rackets.

Because when I buy rackets, I intend to use them, not to safe keeping them in the store room (whether it's rare or limited, it doesn't matter as long as it's being put into good use)
    Last edited by ERTHK; 10-20-2010 at 08:35 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ERTHK View Post
    I have the following:

Carbonex 21 (navy beige color)
    AT800 Limited (Singapore Sunrise Superbrand)
    AT700 Limited (Dragon motif on the shaft)

Unlike for collection purposes, I use them in my weekly training & badminton sessions, just like my other yonex rackets.

Because when I buy rackets, I intend to use them, not to safe keeping them in the store room (whether it's rare or limited, it doesn't matter as long as it's being put into good use)
    That is the spirit thus I sold all except the ones I'll be using each and everytime!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast