User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Higher tension = Harder to make "bang" sound ?

Is it true that with higher string tension, the harder it is to make the "Bang" sound ? What tension is good to produce the "Bang" sound ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you just need a strong forearm and triceps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With strong forearm and triceps, will 25lbs be enough for me to generate the "Bang" sound ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's with the obsession with string tension and big bang sounds? Practice your skills and smash speed, the sound will come naturally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed, technique wil get you the noise and gameplay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you'll get the Bang sound when you smash/clear at the sweetspot.

One more thing, bigger bang doesn't mean stronger smash (at least in my experience)
    Last edited by shot3gun; 12-19-2009 at 09:22 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

his name is Speed#1 yet he's asking about Sound :P

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When you strike a denser material the pitch of the sound is more solid and of higher pitch. The same with string tension, as the higher the tension the more "dense" will the striking sound be. However, this assumes you have the wrist speed to take advantage of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

use a shotgun instead..she bangs,she bangs..just playin'..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AurorAX View Post
    What's with the obsession with string tension and big bang sounds? Practice your skills and smash speed, the sound will come naturally.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. I don't browse the string forum much but every time I do, there is always a question about which string + tension combination will make the loudest noise. Since when does the loud noise when striking the shuttle win you points?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak View Post
    When you strike a denser material the pitch of the sound is more solid and of higher pitch. The same with string tension, as the higher the tension the more "dense" will the striking sound be. However, this assumes you have the wrist speed to take advantage of it.
    sorry u've confused me.... how does the density of the material depend on the "density" of the sound?
    this is basically like a guitar string, the higher the tension the higher the frequency.
    higher frequency > more energy to produce(in theory), so for higher tension you have to swing harder(in theory) and hit the relatively smaller sweet spot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by okieoutie View Post
    Couldn't have said it better myself. I don't browse the string forum much but every time I do, there is always a question about which string + tension combination will make the loudest noise. Since when does the loud noise when striking the shuttle win you points?
    scare ur opponent :P
    i've read somewhere about putting tape at the bottom of the string to produce the bang sound... never tried it myself...
    in theory the lower the noise means energy is wasted... i.e conservation of energy kinetic energy from racket = shuttle's kinetic energy + wasted energy (heat and sound)
    in badminton i think the relationship between wasted and kinetic energy increases together, so louder would probably mean faster, but not by a significant amount...
    i think very loud bang = a lot of wasted energy without the speed increase to justify it...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by milford30 View Post
    scare ur opponent :P
    i've read somewhere about putting tape at the bottom of the string to produce the bang sound... never tried it myself...
    in theory the lower the noise means energy is wasted... i.e conservation of energy kinetic energy from racket = shuttle's kinetic energy + wasted energy (heat and sound)
    in badminton i think the relationship between wasted and kinetic energy increases together, so louder would probably mean faster, but not by a significant amount...
    i think very loud bang = a lot of wasted energy without the speed increase to justify it...
    I would like to think of this in a simpler way. Loud noise doesn't mean winning points or games. The only way it may scare/intimidate opponents if they have never played badminton what so ever. Yes, the sound it makes does tell you if the shuttle is striking the sweet spot and thus if you are hitting it properly. To me, proper technique and timing yields the louder sound some other people seem to be so concern about. But the reverse is not necessarily true. Making the loudest sound when striking the shuttle is trivial and irrelevant.

Just a thought: If the intention is to "scare" your opponents, how about screaming/grunting like Sharipova or Monica Seles when you smash. That should at least distract your opponents if not confuse them
    Last edited by okieoutie; 12-27-2009 at 02:24 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a thought: If the intention is to "scare" your opponents, how about screaming/grunting like Sharipova or Monica Seles when you smash. That should at least distract your opponents if not confuse them

LOL.

Sometime have to turn the volume down when watching women's tennis. Doesn't matter how hot Sharapova is.

People say BG80 @ 26lbs on my BS09 has a nice sound when I hit a good smash. Work on your technique and the sound will come.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would like to think of this in a simpler way. Loud noise doesn't mean winning points or games. The only way it may scare/intimidate opponents if they have never played badminton what so ever. Yes, the sound it makes does tell you if the shuttle is striking the sweet spot and thus if you are hitting it properly. To me, proper technique and timing yields the louder sound some other people seem to be so concern about. But the reverse is not necessarily true. Making the loudest sound when striking the shuttle is trivial and irrelevant.

i'm basically saying it's natural reaction to judge the scale of 'danger' of a smash by it's sound... normal players in a tournament would experience some effect due to the stress your already under to preform... of course you train yourself to ignore the bang, but there will always be a voice saying this shuttle sounds like it's going really fast > harder to block while controlling where the shuttle goes next > more stress...

anyway it'll b cool for people watching, makes u look like a better player for watching purposes anyway, it's like watching MS and WS, MS is more enjoyable to me, *bang > can the other guy block it*. playing this sport for enjoyment right, if u feel a louder sound makes you feel good then u should go for it...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by milford30 View Post
    i'm basically saying it's natural reaction to judge the scale of 'danger' of a smash by it's sound... normal players in a tournament would experience some effect due to the stress your already under to preform... of course you train yourself to ignore the bang, but there will always be a voice saying this shuttle sounds like it's going really fast > harder to block while controlling where the shuttle goes next > more stress...

anyway it'll b cool for people watching, makes u look like a better player for watching purposes anyway, it's like watching MS and WS, MS is more enjoyable to me, *bang > can the other guy block it*. playing this sport for enjoyment right, if u feel a louder sound makes you feel good then u should go for it...
    I understand your take on this. I wasn't trying to sound like I know more on this topic. Just my opinion. Like you said, everyone should do whatever makes them happy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Volume is mostly down to how hard you hit.
    Frequency depends on the string thickness and tension.

For a "boom" you want relatively thick strings, at low tension.
    Higher tension and thinner strings give more of a "crack".
    Plastic shuttles always sound rubbish

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast