Advice for Racket

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by AAABeef, Oct 18, 2010.

1. AAABeef

AAABeef Regular Member

Sorry there's probably a few of these threads out there...I'll try to make it specific.

I'm mostly a doubles player (mixed as well) but on occasion I play singles. Though I'm playing at rec clubs, but still want to improve myself. I would classify myself as an intermediate player...I've played with the Panda Power Trinity 2, the Tantrum 300 and the Ti7. Tension I play with is about 22-23 lb.

I found the Trinity to be too light for myself (I believe it is 83g-84g); I can't generate enough power to do a decent clear. I like the power I get with the Tantrum, but at the front, its lacking a bit of finesse for me to maneuver the shot. I get the same problem with the Ti7.

Hopefully someone can help me out or point me in the right direction !

Thanks!

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Shuttles: feather or Mavis?

String?

T2 bp?

3. vipjun

vipjun Regular Member

I think visor is alluding to and i agree, that you probably don't need a new racket , since you already have some of the top ones.

First , it could be the shuttle's fault for being too slow. Do you test the shuttles for speed before playing?
    I just did them recently, and what was good speed when i tested in june, ended up being almost a meter short now.

If your technique is ok
    try staying /w trinity and string @ 26 lbs.

My stringer and most of the more experienced players recommended i go 26 lbs on my first restring even though i had only played for 1 month back then.
    I was worried that i wouldn't have enough power to play with it, but they assured me that 26 is not to much to handle.
    After the switch i needed some adjustment time, but could definitely see increased distance & speed for my clears.

#3 vipjun, Oct 18, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  4. canti

canti Regular Member

Student
    26 might be too high of a leap if hes playing with 22 right now. I find it odd that you're having trouble with the T2 when I find it easy to produce power due to its flexibility. a 3U too light? maybe you need a 2u? 90g

5. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

A T2 well strung at 20-23lb shouldn't give you a problem clearing; even if it has a low balance point.

I bring this up not as an insult (I'm no pro) but to point out that if technique is a problem, then correcting that will make it easier to find the racket that highlights your strengths rather than compensate for deficiencies.:)

6. visor

visor Regular Member

#6 visor, Oct 19, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  7. AAABeef

AAABeef Regular Member

Thanks for the advice everyone.
    visor, thanks for the reminder, I have a horrible memory!

Anyway, I'd say 80% of the time I play with plastic, 20% feather.
    String is BG65.
    BP for T2 is 287 mm.

From the sounds of this...I guess it is more of a technique problem!
    Maybe because playing with the T2, then switching to the tantrum in the next game, I felt like I had more power with the tantrum.

8. visor

visor Regular Member

Your T2 is already perfectly setup with the right strings, tension, wt, and bp for your needs, ie. fast doubles, mostly plastic.

You may be able to increase the bp a smidge 3-4mm to add more oomph, at the slight expense of racket speed of course.

Just get some hockey fabric tape, divide in half, and tape about 3 inches of it at 10 and 2 o'clock positions of the racket frame.

You can add more or remove some to adjust to your liking in terms of balance between speed and power...

And of course, you'll need to work on your technique a bit more...
    you don't need a new racket!

9. vipjun

vipjun Regular Member

1 more tip maybe try a different string. BG 65 goes dead after about a month. Try nanology 98 strung at same tension I hear that string gives a lot of power. Also bg 80, 85, zymax 67 would work too.

10. canti

canti Regular Member

Student
    the n98 i feel only gives good power at a high tension 28ish