Court anger lol + not being able to relax HELP ):

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by JukUx, Oct 18, 2010.

1. JukUx

JukUx Regular Member

So i've quit badminton for awhile and recently got back into. I am not as good as i was before in doubles as i am a very aggressive player and love playing the net. However, my current partner is not as great as i want him to be so sometimes i get frustrated as he misses some hits. But soon enough errors start creeping into my game and i start getting really mad, like pretty much court rage lol. I set myself up with a nice net kill but i missed -_- really really bad. After analyzing my game, i realize this:

1. once i start raging, my entire game is thrown off. my form goes all wrong and i feel like i am just raging and just swinging wildly at the birdie lol
    2. During this time, i get really really tensed. Like i am death gripping my racket and when i do get that lift to kill its not as powerful as i would normally kill it. However, when i am tensed i play a really good net game for some reason.. i don't know why but when i am forced into the rear i can't seem to be able to generate enough power to do a successful kill

the reason why i don't want to tense up is because i play a lot better when relaxed then being tensed. but when i play really good games my competitive nature takes over and i just get really tensed and pissed sometimes at easy kills that i could have done or silly errors like service or clear smashes or badly placed shots

can anyone offer me some tips? or some advice? lol. also, quick question, i never been trained in my life for badminton, i learned from playing top players and watching All England matches and observing doubles players and trying to mimic their styles. As i am a really competitive guy, i want to get better. should i pay for private coaching? just to learn the form and just practice? like can this private coaching improve me a lot? or should i just attend more badminton sessions to get better (i.e drop ins) and playing with people that are better than me? <- (this is how i pretty much trained lol, i just played a lot and with a lot of good players)

Thanks in advance! :) and sorry for any grammar/spelling errors ^_^ its 2:15 AM for me :p and i got to study for a mid term ):

2. visor

visor Regular Member

what did you expect? you just recently restarted to play after a long lay off...

you just need more court time

and ease off your perfectionistic tendencies for now

for myself, i play better when i'm slightly angry. that's right, anger helps me.
    like when the opponent calls a shot out when i know it is on the line, that will incense me and motivate me to elevate my game to the next level and pound him for good measure.

but it has to be controlled anger, not rage.

3. JukUx

JukUx Regular Member

i guess! but idk, i also think i am trying to hit shots to openings but i don't have the technique or don't know how to lol
    even back then, when i was playing almost everyday in the summer, i would still get mad lol l:
    thats great you can control your anger and convert it to elevate your game! i wish i could do that lol I just can't hold it in, honestly if my opponent was to call shots out that i know were in, i'd probably flip out and yell at him or if i get the opportunity and get a nice net kill i'd just smash it at his face LOL l: sighh another reason why i play doubles or mix and not singles.. i got someone to hold me back as well lmao.

4. visor

visor Regular Member

well... in the end, it's just a game

and we're here to have fun

so try laughing a little if you totally miss an easy net kill... you'll feel better! :)

5. JukUx

JukUx Regular Member

okay! i'll try that next time :) thanks for the advice lol :p

6. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

It sounds like you know what you want to do on court. But you don't understand why you can't do it perfectly all of the time and that frustrates you.

The answer to that consistency problem is right there in your original post: Get lessons. Then do drills over and over until your consistency improves. You sound like a perfectionist, so that should be right up your alley.;)

Oh, and please take it easy on your partner. Your visible frustration is the surest way to make him nervous and play worse. "Praise the good", as they say in the child-rearing game, and you will see better results.:)

7. GoDLee

GoDLee Regular Member

English teacher
    ye i'm also a perfectionnist. I prefer saying to myself : "it's alright you get this one but i'll be back & it will soon be impossible for you all to defeat me bcuz i'm improving faster."

8. JukUx

JukUx Regular Member

okay, so i should get some lessons then :/ how often should i get train with a coach for and how many times a week? would 2 times a week + 1 hour and 30 mins be okay? what i wanna do is get the drills down, and then just go drop ins to practice it :p think thats a good idea?

9. JukUx

JukUx Regular Member

i say something like that too! when i miss my shots or something, i try to make up for it with the next point, but sometimes i fail again and my frustration just kicks in lol

10. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Sounds perfect.:) Great that you have the time and the dedication. Best of luck!

11. JukUx

JukUx Regular Member

alright! :) :) i'll just have to wait till i get home and find a coach :p oh yeah, im really dedicated to badminton lol :p and im just using my christmas break for training XD. do you know any coaches that are good? D: should i just find juniors to coach? or should i actually find a elite coach? lol

12. Jonster

Jonster Regular Member

University Student
    One thing I noticed when I am either too excited or frustrated is, I take a couple deep breathes and slow my thought process down. I just stare down the court for a second or two, take in a deep breath and think about my next shot. It works a lot of the time, especially in singles which is my weak point, haha.

Of course there seems to be a matter with your timing and technique. Seeing as your are in Markham, you could try Lees or Mandarin if you plan on spending money, which I assume you are. The only problem is they are expensive I think. I personally went to Flying Dragon a few years ago during High School but the lighting is really bad and I am guessing it still is.

13. visor

visor Regular Member

14. JukUx

JukUx Regular Member

ooo! i shud try that too lol :D good tip! thanks! as for the training, idk i was going to go Lees but yeah its pricey lol well, i was gonna post on the coaching section to see if there are any coaches out there that can train me for a decent price as i don't really wanna train every day of the week. just maybe 2 times a week for an hour and 30 mins lol Lees seems okay for me but i never went to Mandarin lol a friend of a friend of mine told me they train you really good.. like 2 weeks and you shud be super good lol is flying dragon cheaper? and how do you find it there besides the lighting?

15. JukUx

JukUx Regular Member

16. Jonster

Jonster Regular Member

University Student
    Depending on how old you are, there may be group sessions which is what I took at Flying Dragon. It was nice because I made a few friends which I could also play against. As for the coaches I honestly can't say as the one I had left to train to prepare for the commonwealth games but he was pretty decent. He mixed up a combination of kinesthetic, visual, auditory learning types which helped a lot. In terms of reputation Mandarin and Lees Badminton probably have better coaching staff.

One thing you have to remember is everyone is biased towards what they prefer more. Search on google to see what more people think to gain a general consensus. I am not saying your friend is wrong though!

For pricing, everywhere is probably expensive, haha. Compare prices on all three sites? Check the programs for relative learning ages and skill levels. One thing about Flying Dragon is it has a nice high ceiling as opposed to Lees however I can't compare it with Mandarin as I have never been there.

17. JukUx

JukUx Regular Member

Okay Jonster! i'll check out the prices and stuff but i'll have to talk to my parents first cuz i have my license to drive but no insurance -_- pain in the ass lol i don't wanna bus to those places either >.< so idk what approach i am going to take on that lol

18. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Read some of the recent articles on badminton-coach.co.uk - they are on how to improve your mental game. In essence, the most important thing regarding my mental game that I bear in mind, is that i CHOOSE all the behaviour I display AND everything i think. So If I choose to change, then I will. If I choose not to get angry, I wont. If I tell myself I will not miss that easy kill again, I will not miss it again. Your brain is a powerful tool, and being angry will tend to limit its effectiveness. Some people channel anger into competitive spirit, but this must also be tempered with respect.

As for getting lessons: yes, private lessons are always worth it! Improving your game just a little bit CAN take a lot of effort to fix by yourself. Having an experienced professional on hand to immediately tell you what to improve and how to improve it, is, in my opinion, well worth the money.

I hope this advice helps in some way

Matt

19. JukUx

JukUx Regular Member

okay Matt! reading the stuff now! i really wish i had control over my emotions on court lol and i'll try my best to get private lessons when i get back for my christmas break ^_^ thanks a lot Matt! :)

20. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    no worries :) just a final point: don't tell yourself you will try, as this sets yourself up for failure "oh I tried but I couldn't". If you use the word practise, you WILL succeed but not necessarily straight away. This is a big difference in my opinion! Vocabulary can send a lot of strange messages to the brain! And remember: you DO have control over your emotions on court, its just at the moment you are CHOOSING to let them get the better of you. Its the way you have always done it, so it may be a challenge to change. But it WILL change the instant you decide to make it so.

Good luck :)