double hits...

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by amleto, Oct 22, 2010.

1. amleto

amleto Regular Member

this is a question about if/how you can see a double hit in a particular case.

the circumstance I am talking about is where the shuttle appears to change direction twice when opponent strikes shuttle. Once is obviously normal, but on these occasions it appears that the cork has been hit again, or the feathers have been hit such that the flight of the shuttle seems to change after the initial hit. The second hit, in these cases, happens very quickly after the first.

my question is, is this a genuine double hit (ie a fault), or is it just optical illusion caused by feathers being hit after the cork (and therefore legal)?

I know it is hard to clearly define without a movie clip, but hopefully you know what I am on about.

#1 amleto, Oct 22, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  2. visor

visor Regular Member

as long as it is one smooth stroke, it is still legal

3. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Wouldn't it constitute sort-of holding the bird on the racquet bed? Oh here is something I found from the Handbook.

4. amleto

amleto Regular Member

I'm familiar with rules. what I don't know is, what is happening when I see this - Is it a double hit on the cork? Or is it just a very heavy hit on the feathers after the cork. One is legal, one is not.

5. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I've been trying to imagine what it would take to manage a double-hit on the cork, but I still cannot come up with a viable scenario. For my money, any "double-touch" would be cork + feathers.

6. amleto

amleto Regular Member

I thought of a way of better describing what I see - it looks a bit like the shuttle tumbles, but from what would normally be a clear or drive shot. As these are normally short impact time with shuttle, it looks very strange and dubious.

7. blindaim

blindaim Regular Member

in my own opinoion , as long as no double hit on the cork.

because i always hit the cork and the feather quite often. haha