First time replacing my overgrip - original is peeling away at the edges.

Discussion in 'Grip' started by quacky, Oct 22, 2010.

1. quacky

quacky Regular Member

Hello,

This is my first time replacing my overgrip, which is damage from my sweatyness. As I was peeling away the overgrip, the edges of the original grip is getting torn out. I tried to be very careful. The result is a mostly intact original grip with some small areas of exposed wood. Is this typical and what should I do now?

-Quacky

Additional info if it matters: I do not know which grip size is correct for me, both the original and original + overgrip I can work with. I have two additional Gamma supreme (it came as a 3 pack) available to use.

2. visor

visor Regular Member

It's ok... there is bound to be some minor damage to the original grip when removing old overgrip that's been stuck on there for ages. Once you put on a new overgrip, you won't notice or feel the defects underneath.

Re grip size:
    I remember reading somewhere on the forum that the right grip size is when you're grasping the handle firmly but not too tight, your middle finger should just almost touch the thenar muscles at the base of the thumb. When you squeeze it tighter, then that finger will touch.

3. quacky

quacky Regular Member

In each of the threads I created, I learn of the existence of a new muscle!

As for the test, what grip style should I use. If I try the LJB grip, it has to be a really thick grip size. If I try a basic grip, I would need a thin grip before the middle finger gets close but not touching my thenar muscle at the base of the thumb.

Does wrapping the cone have pros and cons?

4. visor

visor Regular Member

Heh, muscle memory!

The idea is that a smaller but appropriate grip allows better execution of finger power.

Wrapping cone is very useful for doubles, especially when you need to choke up on the handle for serves, net shots, etc.
    But don't overdo it, because too much can change the racket's bp noticeably.