User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ankle weights

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ankle weights

Okay I was using ankle weights for like 10-20mins just for like walking around my house until iheard it was bad on the internet, is okay if i only used it for walking for like a few 10 -20 mins around my house, like will anything happen/like nothing will happen right? soo paraniod O.O ( mainly cuz my ankle feels wierd now, doesnt hurt just weird )

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Why would it be bad for you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    Why would it be bad for you?
    Ankle strain making permanant ankle injury

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have trained in ankle weights and I know many VolleyBall players who train in ankle weights. I used to play games and go running in them too. I haven't had any problems from using them :s However, I don't know enough about the subject to comment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ohh I see, thats good to know nothign happen, im just scared that lil tryout using it might cause a problem with my ankles : P

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know why they would get away selling them if they were so lethal?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah i know right, but people buy them mainly to take the chance of the risk, or they just dont know of the negative effect

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MSeeley View Post
    I don't know why they would get away selling them if they were so lethal?
    For the same reason they "get away" with selling any weights: used correctly, they can be safe and effective; used incorrectly, they can cause injury. You can buy weights so heavy they will destroy your back if you lift them incorrectly!

Ankle weights are perfectly safe in certain applications. Their main use is for controlled off-court strength training, not as a "hardcore" modification to on-court badminton. Walking around the house with them should be fine, if rather pointless.

As a general rule, ankle weights should not be used in situations that place high demands on ankle stability (such as badminton). Doing so increases the risk of a traumatic ankle injury. If you must do weighted badminton training, a weight vest would be less risky, but I would still recommend against it. Adding weight should be avoided during any high-impact activity, as it increases the risk of joint damage.

Instead, the same kinds of training can be performed in more controlled circumstances. Taking the training off-court, you can make the exercise low-impact and avoid destabilising movements.

A good application of ankle weights is in the treatment of patello-femoral pain syndrome ("runner's knee"). Knee extensions in the last few degrees of movement (~ 5--10 degrees) strengthen the VMOs and develop stability. The exercise is progressed by adding heavier and heavier ankle weights; for professional footballers, the weight on the ankle can go up to 17 kg!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know that the whole volleyball team train in ankle weights. Running, jumping plus all their drills. Is this unsafe?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MSeeley View Post
    I know that the whole volleyball team train in ankle weights. Running, jumping plus all their drills. Is this unsafe?
    Well, it depends on how the training is performed. It has the potential to be unsafe, depending on several factors:

• The extent of destabilising movements involved in the drill
    • The amount of weight added to the ankle
    • The individual athlete (how good is his stability?)

I caution against using ankle weights not because they are always bad, but because they are easily misused by players seeking a "hardcore" training exercise. It's easy to put yourself at risk, and the benefits are questionable. You could just as easily improve your performance by choosing a safer exercise.

So I'm not saying, "never use ankle weights". I'm saying, "only use ankle weights if you're sure you know what you're doing." As an absolute minimum, the player should have completed a basic strength and stability programme before attempting dynamically destabilising strength/speed exercises (such as footwork with ankle weights). Very few amateur players have actually done this.

It's all about risk versus reward. As a general principle, players should prefer low-risk exercises to higher-risk alternatives.
    Last edited by Gollum; 10-28-2010 at 05:55 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
    Well, it depends on how the training is performed. It has the potential to be unsafe, depending on several factors:

• The extent of destabilising movements involved in the drill
    • The amount of weight added to the ankle
    • The individual athlete (how good is his stability?)

I caution against using ankle weights not because they are always bad, but because they are easily misused by players seeking a "hardcore" training exercise. It's easy to put yourself at risk, and the benefits are questionable. You could just as easily improve your performance by choosing a safer exercise.

So I'm not saying, "never use ankle weights". I'm saying, "only use ankle weights if you're sure you know what you're doing." As an absolute minimum, the player should have completed a basic strength and stability programme before attempting dynamically destabilising strength/speed exercises (such as footwork with ankle weights). Very few amateur players have actually done this.

It's all about risk versus reward. As a general principle, players should prefer low-risk exercises to higher-risk alternatives.
    I see, well im asking like, i havent have any kind of injuiries before on my ankles, and i was using 2.5bls on each legs just walking alil and alil jumping for like 20 mins for a test try for the first time, and i hear how it can slow me down, like im getting paraniod that my movements got slower and my high got less higher after that 'tryout' for awhile, like will it affect my game ??

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DanhNguyen5.3 View Post
    I see, well im asking like, i havent have any kind of injuiries before on my ankles, and i was using 2.5bls on each legs just walking alil and alil jumping for like 20 mins for a test try for the first time, and i hear how it can slow me down, like im getting paraniod that my movements got slower and my high got less higher after that 'tryout' for awhile, like will it affect my game ??
    I wouldn't worry about that. Your jump height probably decreased because the muscles were becoming tired.

Controlled actions with ankle weights are generally safe. It's only when the exercise is destabilising that you need to be careful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup. In moderation. Felt like flying after using it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is off topic, but all the heroes in Dragon Balls train with ankle weights and they get super pumped!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I walk around with 5lb ankle weights on each leg. I usually wear them for 5 hours. I walk close to 10km daily. I have been using them for about 6 months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, did you managed to fly?? I bet you must be doing lots of jump smashes..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lool! I do practice my jump smashes a lot. haha But I rollerblade through crowds aswell.. So my footwork gets practice without actually being on court.. You have to realize that "Every little bit counts." ;D

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast