Knots and grommets

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Koo&Tan, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Koo&Tan

Koo&Tan Regular Member

Badminton coach
    Hello everyone,

I have two questions for you :
    - How often do you change your grommets?
    When some of your grommets are damaged, you change all your grommets or just those that are damaged? Do some grommets must be changed more often than others? Should we change some grommets (or all) each recordage?
    I do not know what questions to ask but could you tell me everything you know about grommets and frequency of replacement.

- I have a problem with stringing knots: when I make a starting knot, and I tended my first cross, the knot passes through the grommets and sometimes, the string breaks!
    I would like you to give me many ways to tie knots (strating and arrive knots). And another question related to the first question: should I change the grommets where I am the knot so it does not pass through?
    And I tend to high tension, so I need a really wide knot to don't pass through the grommets. Some stringers like discretion knot, but that does not bother me if it is big.

Thanks in advance
    Koo&Tan

2. _Rav_

_Rav_ Regular Member

Gofer
    Not sure on the grommet question, i've not yet had to change one (although i can see i will soon).

As for knots, you could try a double or even triple starting knot from here. What i tend to do is a double or triple half hitch, and don't go too high on the tension for the first few crosses. Leaving a flying clamp in the fist two crosses while you move on down may also help prevent slippage.

3. _Rav_

_Rav_ Regular Member

Gofer
    I'm not too sure about grommets as i've never had to replace one, although i will soon as one on one of my racquets has broken. I would imagine that unless they are all very old and tatty, just replace the ones that look like they need it, unless the customer has a habit of breaking strings a lot and then it might be something worth eliminating by fitting new ones.

As to knots, i've tried using starting knots as described here and on thin string like zymax 62 you need to make three loops. Either way, i'm never happy with them as they leave a bit of string sticking out (at least when i attempt one) so i've started using a double or triple half hitch and not putting full tension on the first few crosses. My machine has no fixed clamps, so i have to pull the first two crosses together anyway, and fix with a flying clamp. Leaving the first two clamped together like that while you go ahead and do the rest of the crosses should hold the knot in place long enough, although i have had them creep into the shared gromet after a month or so before now, but it didn't break.

4. Koo&Tan

Koo&Tan Regular Member

Badminton coach
    Thank you and sorry for not being able to respond sooner.
    For the knot, I really want to find a knot that is at high tensions. Do you know which knots use professionals stringers ?

Can I get other opinions as well as for grommets?
    Thank

5. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

1) replace the really broken one only. i too often see some racquet takes almost 15 min to take out a broken grommet. some people might disagree on this, but if the grommet is only cracked, you can wait for a another 2 or 3 cracked before you do all 4 broken one.
    2) Please do a search on starting knot. There is a post on various starting knot you can use. also, make sure you tie the starting knot on the right string. B6 based on YY pattern.

6. Lordofthefart

Lordofthefart Regular Member

Student
    Try a bulky knot, you can go to YULite's channel on youtube and you will be able to see an excellent video on this knot.

7. singnflip4life

singnflip4life Regular Member

Full Time Med Student
    For grommet replacement: The more often you change them, the less time it takes to do so. The more damaged a grommet is, the harder it will be to remove.

The only ones that usually need replacing are the shared grommets, and the knot holding grommets, and the later being the one that is damaged more quickly.

I would change the grommet as soon as I see a crack in the grommet or it appears to be too squished at the entrance. Another reason I would is if the string breakage is at a grommet, which would indicate that the grommet is damaged on the inside.

Grommets are very very very cheap, and I'd rather change a few grommets than change a stringjob because of damaged grommets, wouldn't you?

I provide free grommet repair to all my customers. If they point them out to me, or request me to replace their damaged grommets, I'll do all of the ones that are slightly broken. However, if they do not request them, I replace the ones that might lead to a snapped string or frame damage. I can do this for free because badminton individual grommets are quite quite cheap (as compared to tennis where they must be purchased in sets/strips usually) and one stringjob labor will usually cover a new set of 500 grommets.

8. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

I used to do starting knots as well, and finally I decided to do it slightly differently because of so many issues with the knots sinking into the grommet. this is how I do it with flying clamps, and a bit modified from the normal procedure:

- pull the very first two crosses together and use the 1st flying clamp to hold the strings. NOTE: the last cross has straight string sticking out. You may want to use higher tension for this pull.
    - pull the 3rd cross and put on the 2nd flying clamp as normal.
    - then continue to the 4th cross with the 3rd flying clamp. you can skip this step, IF you only have 2 flying clamps.
    - now, go back and remove the 1st flying clamp, and pull it to tension again.
    - with the 1st flying clampl back on after this, you can do a normal knot, instead of starting knot.

of course, if you have a starting clamp, you can use that for the first two crosses, but use higher tension. that will do as well.

overall, this has eliminated problems for me. still, for thin string like Zymax 62, I may do 3 half-hitch knot.

9. Koo&Tan

Koo&Tan Regular Member

Badminton coach
    Thank you for your answers, it help me.

10. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

glad to share my experience with you. have fun.