Foot position for Round-the-head forehand stroke??

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by todjo, Oct 27, 2010.

1. todjo

todjo Regular Member

self employed
    When you do round-the-head forehand stroke (clear or smash), what is the position of your racket foot? In front of your body or behind your body? The shuttlecock is at backhand corner & behind our body, so we move backward then do the stroke.

2. nprince

nprince Regular Member

Engineer
    Watch any videos on how professionals play it-you will notice that most of them use a common pattern.

Assuming that you are a right handed player,

From your base position, you take a big step back with your right foot, pivoting on your left foot-towards back hand rear corner followed by a scissor jump-that means you push of with your right foot which is already behind the left foot-junmp back towards corner and cross your legs in the process. You will end up with your left foot behind the right foot towards the corner and you play your shot as you land. On the recovery, you always start with your left foot, which is further away from the base and 2 steps should get back you to the base (Steps or chases depending on what RTH shot you have played-Clear, smash or drop etc)

3. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I agree with nprince, but i will point out there are some situations where you see professionals NOT pivoting on their non racket foot to assume a side on hitting stance described above, with the racket foot back. Instead, they will take a very large backwards step with their racket (right) foot, with their body STILL FACING the net. They then reach up to play their shot, AS they take a large step behind themselves with their non racket foot (left foot) to stop themselves moving towards that corner.

So in answer to your question: regardless of whether you are sideways on to hit your round the head, or you remain square on to the net, Your RACKET foot is behind your body just before you hit, and as you hit and land you non racket foot is behind your body and the right foot is in front. This happens during a scissor kick, or during the two steps I described earlier. I hope this clarifies things.

4. todjo

todjo Regular Member

self employed
    Great answers from both of you.. thanks.
    Actually, I asked this question because of my elbow injury. A massager who try to fix my elbow, said that my elbow injury is caused by RTH that is done with left foot behind my body (I am right-handed). I was 1 step less.
    After reading your answers, I try to remember what I did. I'm a double player with a better skill than my partner, so my partner at the front court, I'm behind. I think, I move sideways to the left (both feet in line), lean my upper body to the left, then do RTH without scissor kick. Big mistake on footwork?? Can you help me fix this?

5. nprince

nprince Regular Member

Engineer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bntGacew1Q4
    This video should clear all your doubts, Though he is stressing on recovery movements, I found this video very good which covers all aspects of RTH shots if you observe closely.
    He is Aamir G, former England champion-A person whom you can trust for technical advice.
    NP

6. todjo

todjo Regular Member

self employed
    Great info. I watch other videos too, but all are moving to the left back corner & I move sideways to the left. But, watching all the videos makes me realize what's wrong w/ me. My footwork is not fast enough so I have to stretch my self to reach the shuttlecock. Thanks.