Why not start with the best racquet for Beginner?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by wuyeah, Oct 27, 2010.

1. wuyeah

wuyeah Regular Member

Designer
    Hello guys,

Beginner is asking a beginner question. What are the reasons why experts don't recommend beginner to start off with top line racquets such as Yonex Arc Z, Arc 10, NS9900, NS8000, Victor BS10, BS9, SW35...etc as their first racquet?

If one will need sometime to get used to one racquet, isn't it better to start off with the top line racquet that one feel comfort and start develop the relationship from there. It will be one longer relationship than lets say start with mid racquet then your skill grow and you are curious about the top racquet and made another purchase and develop a new relationship.

Which to me, start off with with mid racquet doesn't seem to be economical. You are buying more racquet and spending more time to learn a racquet feel. Once your skill grow, you may not play with your mid racquet again if top racquet indeed feel great for the game.

It must have a good reason to start low. Can you tell me why?

2. what07

what07 Regular Member

Well let's say you start off with a NS9900. You play with it for a month but its too stiff and headlight and you can't generate any power. So you go to the store agian and buy a Arc Z. You find that it's still fast in defence and gives good power but the sweetspot is smaller then your 9900. Then you settle on a ARC10.

So you just spent about $600 US. If you were to start off with a mid range racket then you can figure out what you want in your next racket at a lower cost. It's kinda like if your a beginner in playing the violin, you shouldn't just go jump to a Stradivarius.

3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I think there's a touch of elitism to that advice. :p "You're not an advanced player like me. Only advanced players can handle advanced rackets."

Almost any top-of-the-range racket will be fine for a beginner. However, you may not want to spend the money immediately, especially as you might come to prefer a different style of racket later on. Mid-range rackets would also be fine for a beginner. The only rackets to avoid are the dirt-cheap, heavy-as-a-club ones.

String tensions are a different matter. If a beginner uses the same string tension as a pro, it can only lead to one thing: injury.

#3 Gollum, Oct 27, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  4. wuyeah

wuyeah Regular Member

Designer
    Top racket has greater resell value. It is easier to sell a Top racket than mid racket in 2nd market cuz more ppl are after.
    You might still have more money left in your pocket in the end.

I agree with you that start low you really learn to know what you like.

5. malaysianfreak

malaysianfreak Regular Member

student
    like your idea! but hate the budget needed for your idea =(

6. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    beginners destroy racquets through clashes and other dumb accidents. The only reason a beginner will want to sell their brand new Z slash is because they broke it.

7. alexh

alexh Regular Member

The theory that was described to me is that top of the range rackets tend to have stiffer shafts than midprice rackets. A beginner is better off with something more flexible, which makes it easier to generate power with a low racket head speed. As their technique improves, they'll want to change to something stiffer. Same principle as beginners using low string tension and more advanced players using high tension.

But this is just a theory, there's very little scientific research on this sort of thing, so hard to tell if it's really true.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it is like weight lifting.

if you just started weight lifting, do you start with the largest weight? or go from the lower one, build up your muscles and technique and then move on to the larger weight?

if you start with the heavy ones, you will realize that you cannot pick up anything, then you go, duh? and then lose interests.

high end badminton rackets are similar, though not as extreme. high end rackets are stiffer and require more power and technique to swing. without which you will find that the shuttle don't go as far. and the stiffness can cause injury if you are not accustomed to it.

so it is better to start with lower end racket.

however, as i said, it is not as extreme, many people get by with high end racket. in the end, it is your choice and your money, buy whatever that make you feel better.

9. radar_s

radar_s Regular Member

Architect
    Well, if you not talking about the price but just close your eye and feeling the rackets, can you tell which is the Higher end and which is the Mid-range? Why don't we just get away from the "advs" and just finding the racket we like?? At the end, a yonex old canbonex 20 may suits you better than a Arc Z. a Nano S6000 maybe better than the NS9900 depends on how you feel.

But anyway, as "kwun" say, it's no wrnog or right of getting a high end racket in begining, One of my friend's brought her 9 year old son a At700 ltd for his frist badminton lesson, since she want him to starting form a higher starting point.

10. wristworks

wristworks Regular Member

Whether or not a racquet is "high end" shouldn't (in my opinion) have anything to do with whether or not it's suited for beginners. Let's keep in mind that "high-end" does not necessarily (though it often does) equal super-stiff. I think that a racquet for a beginner should start off at medium everything: medium flex, medium balance point. From there, if you want stiffer, there are options. If you want more flexible, there are options. If you want a heavier head, there are options. If you want a lighter head, there are options too.

I should mention a particular bias of mine: I think that "top-of-the-line" models are over-rated. The only reason why I will buy one is if its balance and flex suit my playing style. If my playing style is suited for a flexible, head-light racquet, an AT700 will do me no good. Since beginners haven't established their preferred playing style, I think it's better if they go for a racquet with all-around specs, regardless of the make or model.

11. Winn108

Winn108 Regular Member

well what makes a racket the best racket? its not the racket that makes the player... you can give a pro a $50 racket and he/she will still kick your ass :p

and what's good for one player is not necessarily good for others. for example.. I've heard people who have been very successful with arc z, but everyone I know has it doesn't really like it due to the small racket head and associated inconsistencies. it's all a matter of taste. I actually sometimes laugh at noobs who buy the most high end yonex rackets. either A) you have money to drop, B) you have a relative who can send you cheaper stuff from asia, C) you found your own 'deal' on eBay (i.e. bought a fake)

players who are actually serious about getting into to badminton should always focus on technique.. or if you're casual player.. and just want a new toy.. go nuts :p

12. wuyeah

wuyeah Regular Member

Designer
    why laugh at the noobs who buy highend rackets (doesn't hv to be most high end or one model/brand)? A highend racket can be a overall balance racket too. The pricy selection can happen to be the most comfort one for him/her. Select highend racket early doesn't neccessary equal to one focus more on equipment and not basic technique. (have the money to drop, Yes)

I started this thread with a curiosity. I was thinking, selecting carefully at beginning, drop the big money first have potential:
    A) help one creating a relationship early
    B) stick with one racket to learn, grow and master techniques.
    C) More focus on technique, since there are no other racket better to buy out there anyway.
    D) Better for the money, you will not end up own a lot of rackets that you will not want to use for serious game or even practice.

What I learn from reply so far is, selecting a personal, suitable racket required experience and one must know his game well. Some racket need to develop muscle strength to reveal a racket's potential. Which again, require experience & practice.

13. wuyeah

wuyeah Regular Member

Designer
    The reason I ask this question is:

I photograph for 18yrs, my camera equipment did went from low to high. I start calculate the equipment cost, I wish I started with the best to save some money. Pricy lens usually can see improvement in contrast and color. Now days noobie often ask me what equipment to get on their digital camera. I often suggest them if they see it as a serious hobby, they should go after the best. Because eventually if they are serious enough, they will want the best. Then what will happen the consumer lens?

I only shoot film. Everydays I walk on the street I see more and more ppl have better, the newest equipment than mine. That doesn't bother me because it is the pictures that counts. If you were ask me, I did regreted some of my early lens selection. Even today I don't touch it.

14. Winn108

Winn108 Regular Member

Yah but if you're a beginner.. you wouldn't exactly know how to select (because you are a beginner... by definition :p)

and no matter how much research you do... a beginner's ability to use an 'advanced' racket could be very limited. many advanced rackets are quite difficult to use (headheaviness... stiffness..etc), which may lead to injury and difficult to actually learn with.. but I think you got that msg so far....

but trust me.. noobs buying the newest yonex stuff IS very funny :p not only because its the newest, but also because it's yonex (which many assume is the BEST brand out there :p). and you realize, the noob would play the same if they were using a $50 racket vs a $250 racket.. it's all about cost and result :p

and for your photography example... I would say photography is quite different. technology is constantly improving, and new products constantly coming out (similar to computers, which are obselete pretty much once they get out of the warehouse :p).. while for badminton.. new technology only marginally increases performance - except when there is an odd 'revolution' eg. wood->aluminum->carbon graphite, oval->isometric... etc :D

15. visor

visor Regular Member

hey if you have enough $$, then as a beginner when you start learning to:

-drive, you can buy a Ferrari instead of a Toyota
    -take photos, you can buy both a Canon EOS-1D Mark IV and a Nikon D3X
    -play badminton, why not buy all the top rackets from Yonex, Victor and LiNing?

but reality sets in and even if you have the $$, the power and complexities of top end products will overwhelm the beginner

so as a beginner, don't get sucked in by manufacturer marketing and buy their expensive top end models, because:
    1. they are not designed for beginners
    2. you will not be able to use it to its full potential

as wristworks puts it, just get a racket that is middle everything to start with: wt, balance point, flexibility.

then as you progress, you'll know whether you like to drive a Hummer or a Porsche.

16. wuyeah

wuyeah Regular Member

Designer
    LOL, Yonex sure does well on marketing isn't it!? Most People forget those stars they don't pay for their equipment, the sponsor provide rackets for them to play and advertise. Sometime can see Basketball players switch from Adidas to Nike when contract is up. It is all up to who is willing to pay higher! Seriously, some brands are not trying hard enough. For example, the local shop I got my racket, I was able to try swing 5 racket before I made my choice, they only carry Yonex and Wilson (only has 2 models).

What you said is very true, badminton is very different.

17. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Your take on the subject is interesting. If a beginner photographer were to ask for your advice on which camera to get, will you have recommended a Leica M9 or a Hasselblad MF system?

I am not that invested into photography and have my fair share of purchases I never used anymore. I stopped using all my consumer zooms, either passing them down to people who will actually use them or leaving them in the dry cabinet. While I use and love most my Contax G lenses, the other lenses are learning experiences -- a school fee if you will.

Like photographic equipment, many new rackets are launched every year. Just like in photography, badminton rackets is about learning about the compromises. Without knowing your style/genre, you will never know what camera/racket suits you best. I learnt that I do not fancy carrying a DSLR on my street shoots. I make better photos by interacting with the people I shoot and that they are less apprehensive with my then ContaxG than my then Dynax7. I carried the way I prefer to shoot into the digital age with the E-P1. Similarly, I learnt that I wanted somewhat balanced rackets that are stiff after going through various rackets and finally settling with previously the Cab30, and now the Mizuno TC700.

I do not believe anyone has a better camera or racket than me. I like my cameras the way they are. I may have paid a small price out front to learn what I want and have saved loads having avoided owning any DSLR. Likewise, while I like to discuss rackets, I saved a lot on rackets by not buying all the highest end stuff that promises to be the next best thing.

18. HKChua

HKChua Regular Member

Software Architect
    There are people who practise certain mindset and seek opinion for the sake of getting people to support his mindset instead of referencing to differing opinions....

Such people are looking for buddies...

19. wuyeah

wuyeah Regular Member

Designer
    Hello weeyeh. LOL, sorry that I did not explain my own example better. The way I see selecting a racket is more similar of selecting a lens to photograph with. I wasn't thinking across format or different style.

If someone were interest in Rangefinder, I would recommend Leica than Voigtlander. If were interest in Medium format, Hasselblad, Rolleiflex, Mamiya will be on my list of choice to recommend instead of Lomo Diana. If someone were telling me he has budget concern, then recommendation will be adjusted accordingly. The reason to suggest a Leica or a Hasselblad not because simply thinking "go after the best", they are reasons behind it such as image quality, camera build quality and they keep its value better than other so when one trying to resell, they are able to get most of the money back.

Some people upgrade their consumer lens to a L lens with in 3 month going through the trouble trying to sell the old lens.
    I have a friend who's skills never improve, he was shooting crappy pictures but now he is shooting crappy pictures with better color and contrast. The better equipment actually get him interest more in photography than before. He has top asking me what buy instead he start to ask technical issues to improve his work. He realized with all he got, a bad picture he got nothing to blame but himself.

Someone may see my attempt in wrong way. I am not trying to sell my concept to anyone and very welcome absorb everyone's response. I am sure many other newbies have, had, have thought about it and this thread will be a good reference for them to see what is recommended and reasons behind. Maybe people will start to see less amatures bring good racket on the court and don't know better. I see this thread in an educational way.

20. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Who says your skill will grow towards the racket you have selected? I often see advice about growing into/towards your racket: why would you adjust to your racket?
    Do they have better re-sell value? At first I would agree on that with you but percentage wise it might not even be the case. It would however likely to be easier to sell ...

#20 demolidor, Oct 28, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2010