Upholding the letter of the law

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by dew-hattens, Oct 30, 2010.

1. dew-hattens

dew-hattens New Member

IT Professional
    We all know there are lwas in badminton which are very often to stop unpleasant or cheating behaviour.

However - been to the danish open and it seems the umpires have an unpleasant new habit.

Many players wipe sweat off their brow with their hand and walk to the sode of the court of throw the sweat away form the court and into the sode mat. Some players actually walked 10mm off the court just beside the umpire.

The umpire game them warnngs for leaving the court !!!

Can beleive this. Maybe the player should throw the sweat on the court and then ask it to be wiped up. This would waste even more time!

This I think all stems from the fact that umpires themselves are being judged on their performance and if they dont hold to every little rule they get marked down. Its a pity the rules cannot be inretpreted in the sense in which they where really intended.

All the years ago I did play I can remember some umpires who let play flow without allowing cheating or time wasting and then there where those who held to every little rule and regulation and really broke up the flow of play for all.

Which type of umpire are you ??

2. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Wang Yi Han actually wiped the sweat on the court and asked for it to be cleaned and was given a yellow card instantly.i think it was in Denmark last year.

Welcome to this forum Martin, did you realise you made a lot of typo errors,that is very uncharacteristic of you.

#2 Bbn, Oct 30, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  3. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    Hey this is logic/normal !
    The Umpire surely took it for a waste of time...
    And yes warning a player when he throwing the sweat for leaving the court is kinda stupid

4. serviceover

serviceover Regular Member

Logistics

Can you remember the game? the player?

5. 2wheels04

2wheels04 Regular Member

Yes, sometimes, the umpire has to stick to his rulings when s/he finds the player is trying to be smart. Players generally push the umpire to see how much s/he can get away with.

All this is part of the game.

As a player, when you cannot win fairly, one must resort to some other means.

Perhaps you have correctly surmised he situation. Umpires do not make the laws, rules, or regulations. They just follow them as are set by the federation within which that tournament is organised, and the tournament referee who is responsible for implementing the tournament guidelines.

Yes, you got that one right too - and the sooner you find out what sort of umpire you got, you modify your gamesmanship tactics.

It is also likely that perhaps they failed to take the bigger picture in consideration, and that generally is: was the game or contest enjoyable for the players, coaches, teams, and moreso for the spectators? If the answer is affirmative, then that official did pretty good in my view.

In most of my games/matches, I follow Law 18, and it works for me. It is also called using common sense in most other circles.

#5 2wheels04, Dec 10, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2010