A Faq on Grip with Pictures

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by HydragonWarrior, Mar 8, 2003.

1. HydragonWarrior

HydragonWarrior New Member

Hi all, I'm a beginner at badminton. I've played for a long time, but I still play like a rookie, but mainly because I have no idea of how to get the proper form for smashes, backhands, or maybe just returning in general. In other words, I'm pretty damn inconsistent in my matches (I can play real well one moment when I think I suck, and at the next match I play like ass because I think I'm doing well - sux a lot)

But If I want to start playing the game properly, I have to know the true, correct, appropriate, right grip - the problem is that I often hold my racket in a way that goes against the motion of my swing - momentum gets screwed as a result). If you guys can give me a walkthru, or point to some faqs (I used search, and they were more or less what i needed) it would help a lot.

And pictures of how to hold the handle would help tremondously (I get confused easily when there are hand-related terms being used, like forehand :(

Thanks again for your help!

-Hydragon

2. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    HydragonWarrior, I think you would be able to learn better if you had someone actually show you the grip in person. They would be able to adjust your minor mistakes and such. Pictures dont really work that well because for me I didn't know how to grip it properly through pictures Badrad had sent me a long time ago(but then again it might just be because I'm not all that bright ^^").

Also, about the "most appropirate" grip your talking about, I think you have to experiment that a bit. Personally I find that I go through 2-3 ways of gripping for the same shot over the length of a set of games depending on how aggressive(or not aggressive) I'm playing ;)

3. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Agreed. I think you need a coach to point out your problems. Try to find a coach that gives out local lessons for a good deal and is a qualified one too.

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If u can't find a person who can show u the right tech, try to get urself a tape or vcd about badminton.

I used to have great problem with my footwork. Yeah, ppl (not a coach) used to show me something and I read posts here and there. However, if u can watch a vcd something when u relax, little by little, it will just stay in ur brain, and help u a lot in skill improvement.

5. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    Here is a site with plenty of information for beginners:

http://badminton.hypermart.net/badminton.html

Under the Beginners section, there is some about the grip. It goes more in-depth under the Intermediate section.

Phil

#5 Phil, Mar 8, 2003
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2003