How to play mix :S????

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by DanhNguyen5.3, Nov 2, 2010.

1. DanhNguyen5.3

DanhNguyen5.3 Regular Member

I play mostly singles, and some doubles, dont really play mix but i want to know the formation of mix and what to do (example like in doubles is to try to smash as much as you can and do those drops at time to time and aim for the person whith weaker defence )

2. DanhNguyen5.3

how to play mix ??? :S

I play mostly singles, and some doubles, dont really play mix but i want to know the formation of mix and what to do (example like in doubles is to try to smash as much as you can and do those drops at time to time and aim for the person whith weaker defence ) ​

3. kevinboyz

kevinboyz Regular Member

alright.

1. Serving: When serving the girl will be on front and you will be little bit behind her near the middle line to serve because she will get all drops and you will smash or do whatever you want with the clears.
    2. Formation: Normally, the girl will be on front to get the drops and you will be behind attacking, if your partner is weak and your on the front, it will be devastating because all she'll do is most likely drop or a mediocre smash. Even if the girl is strong and can smash, its better that she is on front, unless she hits harder than you, then thats sad news because the guy is the main attacker in mix doubles.

4. DanhNguyen5.3

what should i do if the girl is at the back and im at net???, tell her to smash/drop/clear to the girl ??? and tell her to move forward or if the oppenent nets ill clear it ??? Cuz im good at attacking at net, i like smashing too but when i play doubles my partner is more consistance at smashing so i stay front, but in this situation with mix i can play both, im just worried if the girl move back and dont know what to do from there

5. JukUx

JukUx Regular Member

idk, but heres my own opinion: if shes at the back, see what she does, if shes in a position to attack and does a drive/drop, you guys should try to switch positions if you know what i am saying. that way she'll be able to move up to the net and play her net game, while you can move to the back and smash and do your thing. this is what i told my mix partner to do and we did okay, i told her if shes forced to the back and im at the front (this usually means middle ish like how you set up for men's doubles) if she can either do a drive and move up so we switch positions then she can get attacking and i can go to the back or clear so we can go side to side. this is assuming that the girl is weak at smashing and not as strong.

if you play with a stronger female, don't worry! im pretty sure she can cover for you, like look at the korean top mix pair :p that girl is a beast and Lee Yong Dae can go do net kills if he wants. (i never played with strong female, like proper mix doubles formation, we just played like men's doubles haha)

most importantly, you might want to establish a playing style between you and your mix partner if you guys decide to play in a tournament or something, that way you guys won't get confused or anything lol :p

anywho, this was my own personal experience with playing mixed, so idk if it would help you, but im just sharing my experience :p

6. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    I've learned your mixed game needs to vary quite a bit depending on your partner's capabilities.
    some girls are strong up front, some are full court players, some have terrific defense, some are no use at all.
    The general rule is play to their strengths, and you get to cover for all the rest.
    Assuming the girl is the weaker player, if you let her play her weaker shots, it's game over.

7. ikcud

ikcud Regular Member

student
    I think urameatball is on the right point here but it's gonna depend on the situation really. I'm actually up the front alot but having to cover the backhand since it's one of my partner's weakness. So if there's anyone aiming for the drop down onto the right... I'll usually have to clear it no matter what or go for a lucky cross court drop haha.

8. Swingbadabada

Swingbadabada Regular Member

Student
    Try to keep the lady at the front, if she can defend then allow her to come back, if not then you're basically covering the whole court. I advise the girl I play with to cover the cross court using crouch defence. Aim for the woman if she's weaker defensively and also try to get her (and keep her at the back). Smash/drop whatever works best to be honest. If the ladies small (short reach) drop it to the sides, sets up another smash or your partner.

Service return is also very important.

Most important thing is playing for each other... You set the lady up for kills, and her net shots set you up for smashes (hopefully)

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    how to play depends on how strong the girl is.

it can vary from her standing in a corner to her playing at the back while you stand in the corner. ;)

the girl is the key to the mixed game. so you need to tell us more specifics.

10. DanhNguyen5.3

sooo basically your telling me to tell her to either smash/drop/drive and move forawrd while doing that ?? ( and when she is at least mid court ill start to move back or she can clear to the girl ( and we end up doing side to side ) and if the girl hits to her she does a net and move forward while i go back and cover the remaining areas? and when she is at front, let her do thing and try to setup for me ?

11. DanhNguyen5.3

sooo basically your telling me to tell her to either smash/drop/drive and move forawrd while doing that ?? ( and when she is at least mid court ill start to move back or she can clear to the girl ( and we end up doing side to side ) and if the girl hits to her she does a net and move forward while i go back and cover the remaining areas? and when she is at front, let her do thing and try to setup for me ? ​

12. DanhNguyen5.3

I dont get the part bold ???? and i know how to avoid her backhand more often, if im at front ill just steep lift to their backhand which makes it more difficult to crosscourt clear and we'll be side to side ( well if she already force to use her backhand hope me luck ) . Also i wont net the thier forehand side cuz it'll be easier to make a steep lift to her backhand, those things i will try to avoid or do

13. DanhNguyen5.3

I understnad the crouching part but why for crosscourt ???

14. DanhNguyen5.3

Ohhhh okay, well she can do most of the basic except for the backhand, her technique is good for bandhand but still has to it more fluently, she has good defence ( she can return a good male smash ) and can clear baseline to baseline ( most of the time ) also she can smash, her net kills are decent but her crosscourt nets are really good tho, shes a averagely tall girl for her age.

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    and how about you?

16. DanhNguyen5.3

We'll I play alot more singles, so i say im very all-rounded player alil more offensive player, and singles are more tactical too, I know all the basic and more advance things ( offensive clears, backhand drop/clear, deception play, etc ), in mix i tend to stay at the back and ripp out smashes when i get the chance or decept by jumping alil to look like im doing a jump smash and the wrist deception and do a steep clear instead (also in MD )

#16 DanhNguyen5.3, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  17. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I not sure that any of the comments I have read here really give a good account of what GOOD mixed doubles really is. This is the most tactical form of the game.

You try to maintain your attack, you do not lift. If the lady has to lift, she should lift cross court, to help keep the opposing team smashing at her. The man should never lift, but if he must, it must be straight - if he lifts cross court, he MUST move to the side to become a straight defender, and the lady must move to become the cross defender.

You attack the tramlines, not the middle. Anyone who suggests cross court smashes at the opposing lady, hasn't played against a quality lady opponent, she will just drive it straight back at you, one hit ends the rally.

The role of the lady in mixed doubles is to make any cross court shot that is NOT a lift, completely off limits. Thats right. She does NOT cover the front. She does not STAY at the front. I bet none of you can cover both corners for drop shots whilst expecting a smash at you, and your lady can't either. That means guys, that the STRAIGHT drop shot is YOURS to cover, unless you just hit a HUGE smash from the rearcourt.

The lady is standing cross court to make sure they can't smash or drop or net cross court. So their only option is to either lift cross court (how scary!!!) or hit it straight. This is where the MAN in mixed doubles stands. He is the straight defender, all the time. His job is to cover the entire straight side (stuff in the middle at the front can be played by the lady) and the cross court lift. Notice how if you KNOW your opponent will hit straight, you can CONTROL your opponents. You MUST keep the opposing lady OUT of the game, otherwise you will be in trouble.

In order for the lady to be most effective, she should stand about 1 metre back from the service line, near the central line, but cross court from the shots.

As so many people have said, the quality of your mixed doubles depends on the lady, however, most of the time TOO MUCH is expected of them by their inexperienced male partners. Here is a fantastic article on mixed doubles:
    http://badminton-coach.co.uk/270/wh...om-women-partners-at-badminton-mixed-doubles/

The final thing I will say here, where I have barely touched the surface of good mixed doubles is that the quote from earlier where DanhNguyen5.3 said that he will wait for the women to set him up, is whats wrong with most males players. The goal in mixed is for the man to set the lady up for a kill at the net. He MUST be fast, and make them feel as if there is no way out except to hit cross court, and when they do, your lady will be standing, racket up, ready to kill the shuttle. You are setting up your lady, not the other way around. If you lift, and you lose the match, you are probably the reason you lost.

Hope that gives some people a different perspective on mixed doubles.

Matt

ein_roboter likes this.
  18. DanhNguyen5.3

Tahnks for the Advice :D

19. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    You are more than welcome. Please pay particular note to the position of the lady, and her role :)

20. Swingbadabada

Swingbadabada Regular Member

Student
    I don't really agree, it's mixed, but it's still doubles. It's playing for eachother, if she can't kill, then she's setting you up hopefully for the next smash which could kill, or smash which could allow her to kill. I only mentioned the cross court smash as I don't believe he's going to be playing quality females, after all, he's asking for tactics to the most complex game. Something which can only really be learnt by playing a lot of games with your partner. Quality female, straight smash, that I agree with