Fitness

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by ZXZ, Apr 28, 2002.

1. ZXZ

ZXZ Regular Member

Student
    I play badminton ok but I'm a bit slow around the court I have too much flab. What do u lot think is the best way to get rid of the excess weight, I do want to remain in badminton shape so I dont want to become ultra muscle bound.

2. zero

zero Regular Member

Student
    Well the cheapest way is to do alot of mixtures of running, sprinting, and jogging. You can also do skipping for endurance, and double-skipping( rope goes around you 2 times for each jump) for strengthing the legs, so you can move around the court faster. There are many other ways, but if you are lazy like me, you can follow my unprofessional ways. :p

Hope this helps.:)

3. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    ZXZ, badminton is a great motivator and way to lose flab.

The first thing I'd advise is to make sure your nutrition is correct. I would advise investing in a book on Nutrition or looking up the subject on the Web. There are too many formulas for me to list here. However, the principle is simple that you calculate your intakes in terms of fats, carboydrate, protein etc. and make sure that it's firstly balanced and secondly that the amount of calories you take in are less than the amount of calories you use per day if you want to lose weight.

If you want to train for badminton look at this
    post which describes the basic models for training. There is plenty of discussion on training on the old forum so do a search.

4. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    ZXZ, I also note you are a student. Can you take advantage of a Physical Ed Teacher to test your current fitness and draw you up a program? I'm sure they'd be more than happy to help.

5. Chia

Chia Regular Member

High School
    Just playing badminton and trying would help you lose weight. And eat right, your 4 food groups... and If you play badminton let's say 3 or 4 times a week it should lose your weight.

It's hard for people to just go out and train, altough sometimes you have to.

But it worked for me, i am not sure about you

6. ZXZ

ZXZ Regular Member

Student
    Wow. Thanx for all the response and UkPlayer thanks for the tips about the PE teacher I study in a sports college so this should be perfect and my form tutor is a PE teacher! Cant believe I never thought of it before! Any more ideas, keep em coming!

7. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    if you have flab, you should work on eating right.... if you eat right and exercise, you 'll be in good shape fairly quickly..

8. zero

zero Regular Member

Student
    I'd say the most effective way to lose flab is to play a better, and by better I mean that he can beat you 15-3 in badminton. Then tell him he/she can only clear and drop. This way you will always be running around the court all day and the oppenent will have a chance to hone in their skills.....lol....:p

I've had my share before when I started to play badminton. You should have seen how much weight I lost after 10 matches in 1 week.

9. TDotSmAsHer

TDotSmAsHer Regular Member

Student Gr 11 in Sept.------- badminton player/ad
    Since playing badminton, I gained 3-5 lbs! It's ok though since I'm skinny.. (I weigh 140lb and I'm 5'8) ........ might be cause I drink more water nowadays so it adds to the weight! Before badminton, I could careless if I dehydrated... hehe

10. viver

viver Regular Member

Developing your muscles and eliminating some fat from your body might increase your weight.

11. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    makes sense since muscle ways more than fat....

12. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    yah, that's a good way to play singles.... for the longest time, i RARELY smashed in a singles game, but now that i do smash, my other shots are accurate, consistent and controlled...

try not smashing in DOUBLES!! it's very hard to win that way... lots of patience required..

13. Chia

Chia Regular Member

High School
    isn't it suposed to be the other way around, singles pateience is required, doubles u try to attack as much as possible.

correct me if i am wrong

14. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

Who told u that muscle weighs more than Fat? Where ever u have learnt that is totally wrong. The actual muscle tissue is very light but strong.

Not all times if u see a Big 17 inch arm do u believe that it is all muscle. There woudl be a lot fo fat too. To have a fat % arnd 8 is simply supreme.

There are thousands of court excersises that u can do to reduce weight. When u do them make sure u do them correctly as it wimporve ur footwork and help ur cause.

Try to do sit up and push ups. the best way to reduce fat in chest and things and ass. Psl wear supporters when u do sit ups.

then after a month start working on pull ups and stomach crunches. there are many ways through which u can reduce ur abdomen. All the excersises are very simple in nature but u shoudl have the drive to do them as they might be painful.

The whole thing is abt ur mental state and ability to go the distance to reduce weight. Nothing in this world will happen without a fight for it.

15. Chia

Chia Regular Member

High School
    dude, muscle weights more. That's why sumo's weight like 400, and like those guys in world's strongest men weight like 300 some. those guys in world's strongest men are thin compared to the sumo's.

And that's what i learnt in school

16. zero

zero Regular Member

Student
    I agree with both Yogi's and Nanashi's opinion. I thought that there were two types of muscles. One that causes the tissue to be stronger by losing all the fat, leaving all muscles tissues, causing you to be ligher.
    The other one is that the tissues are somewhat expanded by liquids in the body, therefore making you heavier.

PS. This was my opinion and has nothing to do with school and any other people....:p

17. viver

viver Regular Member

Please enlighten me. What I learnt in my PE might be wrong and there were advances is science that I'm not aware off. Can you please show me literature/research papers where they state muscle tissue is lighter than fat (lipid tissue?)

18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    viver

I like to know too so i did a search from the net and found these:

Overweight versus Overfat
    There is a difference between being overweight and overfat. (Keep in mind that muscle is more dense than fat. Because of its density, muscle weighs more than fat. One pound of muscle takes up less space than one pound of fat. Another way to look at it is to compare the volume of one pound of lead to one pound of feathers). A 5’ 10” male professional bodybuilder may weigh 210 pounds and have 8% body fat. He may be “overweight” when compared to the height/weight charts or the BMI, but he is not overfat. Upon hearing that he weighed 210 pounds, and without the knowledge that he is a bodybuilder, we would immediately think that he is “overweight.” Overfat is the condition of having excess body fat.

http://www.ndsu.edu/wellness/classes/handouts/diet_jan2002.pdf

also mentioned here too

http://www.mrtrainer.com/nla40.html

19. viver

viver Regular Member

Cooler,
    Thanks for your reply. From what I know is you can gain weight due to muscle hypertrophy(? sorry as English is not my first language) - increase muscle size due to exercise. Exercise can help you reduce your fat level and increase muscle mass and bone density, thus increasing your body weigth.

Personally, I experienced this. I'm 1,83cm tall and weighed at that time about 165 lbs. After starting a more serious program in badminton - 4 times/week and each session of 4 hrs, my weigth increased to 168 lbs.

But I'm an old timer. Science advances everyday with new findings and I'm always eager to learn more. Yogi seems to know what he is talking about, so I'm all ears for new knowledge.

20. shuttlejunkie

shuttlejunkie Regular Member

With my smash its the ONLY way to play :( :D