Eczema on hands

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by buckbeak, Nov 2, 2010.

1. buckbeak

buckbeak New Member

hi all, i'm wondering if anyone has a solution for playing with eczema...

i've got it for a few months already and playing with plasters on my fingers. Basically my fingers have lost the outer layer of skin, and if i play without plasters it'll be rather painful. I've seek a dermatologist but only advise i got was to keep applying lotion, which i am still doing. The situation is made worse by the fact that my palms sweat quite a lot during play...

i read a few similar postings here but hope there's more that i can do other than applying lotion or quitting :(

2. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

This isn't ideal, but you could wear a cotton glove. It will absorb some of the moisture and protect your hand from the friction of the grip.
    Also make sure you and your dermatologist have reviewed all the possible triggers to your eczema. (is it something at home or work? Is there infection? etc. )

3. buckbeak

buckbeak New Member

i do know the problem for my fingers began after i went for a mountain climbing trip overseas, where it was quite cold ... but i've had dry skin all my life, just that it didn't get this bad until the trip.

my wife did suggest the glove idea, but it was more of a joke, coz of the reference to MJ hehee..

4. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Use lotion with rubber glove perhaps. Can poke some holes on those non affected area. ;)

5. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

No doubt extremenanopowe is joking. But using lotion with a glove on overnight can be useful if the skin is really thickened and cracked. But from the description it sounds like the skin might be thin and peeling. In which case occluding the skin in lotion would only macerate it more (like sweaty, peeling feet in polyester socks!:eek:).

Is it truly eczema or is it a prolonged irritant dermatitis, or some other thirty-five syllable dermatologic condition? Do you need moisturizer, steroid, immunomodulators or just time? Truly it sounds like a second trip to the skin doctor may be in order.:eek:

6. paulierand

paulierand Regular Member

i have eczema and i play 3 times a week.
    i use eucerin aquaphor on my hands, face, and body. it helps keep moisture in. It is very similar to petroleum jelly but is better. Anyways, if singapore has anything similar i would try that on your hands before and after playing. Also, try putting an extra layer of grip tape on your grip to make it more comfortable? i took my original grip off and put two layers of overgrip on and i'm comfortable with it.

7. malafide

malafide New Member

I too have eczema, caused by allergies, on my hands, the elbow folds and when it's really really cold on my forehead as well. My doctor gave me Dermovate, and it works magnificently, but I'm only allowed to use it one week at a time. When I apply Dermovate, it's usually completely gone in two to three days. Then I switch back to a regular lotion until it flares up again.

8. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

What type of grip/wrap are you using, maybe you're senstive to it? Could try a towelling grip for instance

9. colekwok

colekwok Regular Member

Fixing people
    I used to have serious exzema when I was younger. The doctor prescribed some me steriod cream and it was very effective, but it came back very often. Then realised that it was because of my other hobby, which was making those plastic models. Apparently I was allergic to the paint/thinner/glues, i.e. organic solvents. At first we all thought it might be kind of a fungal infection, something like athele's foot, but it turned out that it wasn't. I stopped toying with models when I got into the university, never have any problems since then (touch wood.....).

The best way to ease the problem and pain is to give you hand plenty of lotion plus cotton gloves when you sleep. Extremenano is right, this is extremely useful. See what your dermatologist says. I think if you are in Singapore, it would be much better, since you won't experience some extreme cold temperatures or extreme dry weather (except your power air-cons!!).