lead tape application for rackets

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by yurimaster2010, Nov 5, 2010.

1. yurimaster2010

yurimaster2010 Regular Member

Consultant
    bro,
    i am very new to leadtape,
    reason to add lead tape was to made its more heavy head? some use it to protect racket from paint chips?
    anyway any good lead tape brand? or example to share? how much lenght and width need to be applied and which area?
    how to apply and any photo to share to show your skills or technique to all?

2. amleto

amleto Regular Member

get tape. cut tape. stick tape to racquet.

3. kennyyslim

kennyyslim Regular Member

You wont be able to find lead tape in Malaysia. The closest you can use is either athletic tape, magnetic tape or duct tape (cheaper alternative). The closest I can get is via combo of atheletic tape and magnetic to get the weight.

4. HardSmasher

HardSmasher Regular Member

Senior Engineer
    someone told me before about plaster tape(brown color) that use to tape and hold cotton pad for the wound, but i never apply as i think after tape removal, the glue residue is sticky

5. Tim1456

Tim1456 Regular Member

Clerk
    just us some protect tape for tennis racket. cut it to half. You could cut a small notch in the middle and direct pull the half tape for the roll. lead tape is too heavy for badminton racket.

6. DanhNguyen5.3

DanhNguyen5.3 Regular Member

athelete tape will work well too

7. Blurry D

Blurry D Regular Member

Corporate Strategy
    My question would be, why would you want to change the specs of a racket ?

Did you know the shaft and frame of the racket is made according to the head heaviness of the racket?

Would you want to throw your racket off balance and as a result break the racket?

8. visor

visor Regular Member

lead tape is overkill, it's meant for tennis rackets not badminton

as others say, use athletes tape or hockey tape

divide in half strip, 6-10 inches total is all you need

it may not sound like much, but you'll immediately notice the difference when you swing it

9. 3radius

3radius Regular Member

duct tape? hmm, i find the glue very strong... won't peel off the stickers when removing?

10. ziggy87

ziggy87 Regular Member

IT Consultant
    maybe can a layer of electrical tape before applying other type of tapes which leave more residue

will lead tape move? i found the layers of electrical tape on my racket moved after a few sessions of 2 hours each.

11. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    If you want a head-heavy racket lead tape at the top of the frame at the 12 o'clock is best. However, you should not go above 0.5g. For best results use high density lead tape made in Japan, not those by American manufacturers like Wilson. High density lead tape of not over 0.5g presents the least air resistance.
    However, one must understand the flip side of using lead tape. It should not be placed any where else. It is only a make-shift mod and cannot emulate a head-heavy racket. Lead tape will in fact lose you some power, not enhancing it. Badminton strokes are varied, both hit upwards and downwards. Lead tape on rackets are only good for heavy downward shots like smashes as you can use gravity to generate more power. But for upward shots like clears, especially backhand clears, it reduces power as you have to lift some extra weight upwards.
    Contrary to what many believe the back to back clear, both forehand and backhand, require more power than smashes. Smashes travel a very short distance and it is always downwards. A back to back clear will oftentimes send the shuttle travel distance double that of a smash. Head-heavy rackets from use of lead tape do not fare well here.

12. HardSmasher

HardSmasher Regular Member

Senior Engineer
    alternatively, build up your shoulder with appropriate weight training, it will help to improve ur smash.

13. rawtiger

rawtiger Regular Member

Self Employed
    Actually u do.. Racquet Zone in Puchong does sell Gamma Lead-tape.. though it cost RM19, i believe.

I actually use lead-tape in golf to stick on, result is quite good.. I used some double-sided tape to stick to the lead-then onto the racket.
    Also, it is best u do it while without string, I will post some pictures later.

Happy trying!

14. ziggy87

ziggy87 Regular Member

IT Consultant
    how much is the quantity? i saw some gamma lead tapes package from google and it's quite few
    if so, then it's quite pricey.

how much you bought the lead tapes for golf? available in every golf shops?

15. rawtiger

rawtiger Regular Member

Self Employed
    I think it goes by length, 2 or 3 meter maybe..
    Yes, I saw that too.... I guess the local dealer/disty marked up quite a lot

I cannot remember how much I paid, as I purchased many years back. Yes, most golf shop will sell, at least I saw it in MST (Also not cheap, unless with good discount)

Here's some pictures of my racket:-[​IMG]

Attached Files:

16. Scott Kam

Scott Kam Regular Member

Very strange theory/personal experience

17. kennyyslim

Results vary based on player technique and style. The additional momentum does help to generate more power on both forehand and backhand....provided the shuttle is taken early enough. However, on the downside, movement and manuevarability is sacrificed when taking shuttles close to the body and/or reaction shots. Its just give and take depending on player preference and style.

18. kennyyslim

Results vary based on player technique and style. The additional momentum does help to generate more power on both forehand and backhand....provided the shuttle is taken early enough. However, on the downside, movement and manuevarability is sacrificed when taking shuttles close to the body and/or reaction shots. Its just give and take depending on player preference and style.

19. kennyyslim

When using a towel grip, the balance point of the racket changes drastically. A balanced 285bp racket suddenly becomes a 270bp headlight racket. So, for me, its just to counter balance the changes.

20. kennyyslim

electrical tape dun last and dun stick too well to the racket frame. And with time it will peel off soon enough especially with cheap electrical tape. Also, if placed under a warm environment, the melting glue from the tape will cause a mess.