RKEP AT800P - A Surprisingly Good Racket

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by cycilver, Nov 5, 2010.

1. cycilver

cycilver Regular Member

Student
    RKEP AT800P Review

Weight: 86g unstrung
    Balance: 290mm
    Stiffness: Medium-Stiff to Stiff
    Strings: Ashaway Zymax 67 at 25lbs

First Impressions:

When I first opened up the package and took out the racket, it felt a little bit strange. For 86g, it definitely felt heavier but it also felt extremely solid. The paint job looks decent although there were some parts that weren’t done too well. A mixture of black, gold, white and red, asymmetrical like that of the Yonex Arcsaber Z. The head is the now standard isometric shape which should be no surprise here. The head of the frame seems slightly wide and the grommets don’t seem to be the best quality. But this is all merely superficial or easily fixed. Now how does this thing play?

On the Court:

The AT800P might not look like much, but it can really play quite well. Right from the get go, I was able to use it with no problem. Like how it felt when I first held it, it is definitely a solid racket. All hits were crisp and with very little vibration (although this might be a little skewed by the overgrip I put on). I did however feel a bit of drag on my shots but that could be due to the fact that my current go-to rackets were a Yonex Arcsaber 8DX and a Victor Bravesword 09.

Control-wise, the AT800P was great. I was able to place the shuttle pretty much anywhere I wanted to which surprised even me, given that I’ve never used it before. Backhands, both clears and drops were easy to execute. Power-wise, the AT800P does lack that extra oomph to push it over the top but it was by no means a slouch. Smashes were flying compared to my Arc 8DX but not close to my Bravesword 09 or even Kimoni SP-99.
    Defense was not bad, but at the same time not overly great. But for me, defending does tend to take longer to pick up with a racket when compared to offense so I won’t be too worried. Being a semi-light, semi-stiff racket, it was excellent when it came to returning smashes and drives were great as well. There were definitely some improvements from the time I warmed up with the racket to the 5th doubles game.

What was the biggest surprise to me was the ease of use. Usually after 3 or 4 consecutive games with my Arc 8DX, my arm would be a bit tired so this is where the semi-stiff shaft helps.

How it Compares (which rackets are most similar in each category):

Stiffness - Yonex Nanospeed 9000 Type S
    Balance - Victor Bravesword 09
    Speed - Yonex Arcsaber 8DX
    Effort Needed to Use - SOTX Woven 8

Conclusion:

The RKEP AT800P is definitely a great racket for anybody who is just beginning badminton, all the way up to advanced players. Power players may want to look into something more stiff but otherwise, this racket performs great in all categories. In short, it is the Jack of all trades, but the master of none. It is a great racket to use if you’re slowly coming back to the game or a little tired. For the price this racket is retailing for, the quality and solidity simply can’t be beaten. Although it will take a lot more for RKEP to compete with the bigger racket manufacturers, I can see it safely occupying a lower niche in the future. The quality is definitely there, but how well will people accept a new brand?

Ratings:

Power – 8.5/10
    Control – 9/10
    Defense – 8.5/10*
    Feel – 9.5/10
    Value – 10/10

*Defense should improve with more time.

Thanks and I hope this helps anyone looking into a cheap alternative.

Wallace

Attached Files:

2. minty31

minty31 Regular Member

great review, i bought one of these a few weeks ago but i havent had chance to use it yet. judging from the review from the price of the racket you cant go wrong.

3. singnflip4life

singnflip4life Regular Member

Full Time Med Student
    I have purchased two to test (86g and 87g) and I have to say, after testing, the results are very mixed.

I will write more detailed later, but QC needs to be a lot better.

4. Bluehinder

Bluehinder Regular Member

Poor grommets, the center two long strings are not parallel, grommets too wide on the bottom. Does'nt affect play, but poorly made.

5. bbi2004

bbi2004 Regular Member

Mr. Eric

Look after customer's comments on your QC like grommets etc.

6. Squash Eric

Squash Eric Regular Member

trading company
    [FONT=&quot]We offer this racket at affordable price with considerable quality.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]You can pick up the tiny painting or grommet problem.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]However, if you really play the racket that you will find it is a very powerful with good control racket.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Also we do not sell you the racket at very high price like that of YONEX.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]We just want to offer a high C/P racket.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]More new model rackets are coming very soon with better quality (a little higher in the price too).[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

7. Bluehinder

Bluehinder Regular Member

The racket does play great and is a trememdous value. Mr. Eric is also fantastic to work with, very responsive, and I am sure his new models will be great as well. I'll try some.

Thanks Eric!

8. bbi2004

bbi2004 Regular Member

I just played one game with this, Forehand Clears as well as backhand clears are great and better than ARC Z Slash. Control is OK. Defense is OK. Racket is also quick but some extent poor in POWER. But above all I give 10/10 towards its Solid Feel.

9. bbi2004

bbi2004 Regular Member

Suppose some one purchase a Yonex racket with using same material as of RKEP AT800P, what will be the cost of the Yonex Racket. And also what will be the cost of Ashaway using the same material as RKEP AT800P?

10. cycilver

cycilver Regular Member

Student
    after playing more with the at800p, i must agree with bbi2004, it does lack a bit in terms of power but I find this racket amazing on defense =P which is perfectly for me.

11. bbi2004

bbi2004 Regular Member

What about the new racket?

12. Squash Eric

trading company
    AT800TEC will be sent to us later today (Dec 1, 2010 Taiwan time)
    Will put it on e-Bay very soon

And more new top series rackets will come very soon

13. cycilver

cycilver Regular Member

Student
    cant wait to try it XD

14. Squash Eric

trading company
  15. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    I've just got a sample AT800TEC from Eric a week or so ago. Only played with it for a few hours, but I thought it was a great all-rounder for those that like even-to-slight-headlight rackets. Shaft rated as stiff but on-court didn't seem overly so. I didn't see the older ones, but if the grommets and paint were average on the older model, he's definitely stepped up with the AT800TEC - it looks surprisingly nice in deep crimson and black with gold foil. I'd still like to see Eric do his own graphics and have a nice logo rather than the Arc-Z derived design currently being used.

I think the reason that this racket doesn't seem overly stiff is because the handle is very short - in fact, only just big enough for my hand! - 195mm from start of cone to end. The cone is also 5mm longer than 'normal' so that's a full 10mm shorter than what you would expect.

I think Eric has a winner on his hands with this racket. It's a solid all-rounder and I'm looking forward to more court-time with it so I can post up a more in-depth review.

Go out and get one!

16. skoal2047

skoal2047 Regular Member

very good price, but shipping kills the deal :(

17. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    You can ship up to three rackets for the same price as one making shipping for me at least as low as seven bucks a racket. You can't beat that.

18. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Well put. And Eric's shop is full of great deals. But the important question is what do you think of the racket now, seven months after your preliminary review? Still good value for money?

19. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    I think it's a great racket. I did sell it however because it was too headlight for me (these days I prefer something in the 295-300 range) however I think if you like rackets in the 290-285 range and have a tight budget, you'd be mad not to consider the AT800Tec. It's a pretty solid headlight all-rounder.