Noob Player Needs Help

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by zeozeo, Nov 6, 2010.

1. zeozeo

zeozeo Regular Member

I was wondering if you guys would be able to recommend a racket for me.

I'm currently 23 years old and I have been playing both doubles and singles for about 2 years. My level of play is probably intermediate. When playing doubles, I like to smash alot from the rear of the court while my partner defends in front. When playing singles, I play lifts and smash only when there is an opening.

My current racket is the Apacs 9900 Power strung at 23/25 with stern 9 string. I find this racket good for doubles but a little lacking in control and the shuttle tends to fly out of the court even when i hit it with 70% of my energy. Smashes aren't as sharp as I would like too.

I was thinking about getting the Apacs Tantrum 300 - Lethal 70 combo but I'm worried that the rackets may be off spec. As I have to order the rackets online (no dealer within my city), are there any other racket combinations that you would recommend? What string/string tension would you recommend too? String durability is also an issue as there are no restringing services in my current city and I can only restring in the middle of next year. I only play once a week though and my Stern 9 string has been holding up for about 9months without any major problems.

My budget is about 300 USD for 2 rackets or 250 USD for 1 racket if it can replace both a singles and doubles racket.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for your help!

2. xSeasonx

xSeasonx Regular Member

hey get the lethal70+tantrum 300 combo from apacscanada.
    its on sale right now for i believe 180.
    use the lethal 70 for singles as its more head heavy compared to tantrum 300
    adn vice versa for the tantrum 300 ; use for doubs.

OR if u want to just buy one racket..
    get lethal 70 if u lean toward singles more than doubles
    and tantrum 300 if u lean towards doubles more than singles

and for string , since u want durability...
    try yonex bg 65 @ 24 lbs

my 2 cents :D, peace

3. zeozeo

zeozeo Regular Member

Hi any other suggestions of what other rackets i could consider?

4. PopsiclePete

PopsiclePete Regular Member

Hey Zeo,

To help you out in your selection, I would suggest doing a quick search on our forum for "doubles" and see what searches come. This will probably give you a much better selection that the few people who will reply to this post.

However to help guide you I would suggest the following racquets for all around play:

Yonex Arc 8DX or 10...here is a post to explain why:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...csaber-10-vs-Arsaber-8DX&highlight=arcsaber+8

Ordering these racquets online will save you at least $50 off the retail in USD...

Also, if you are looking for brands, Wilson can be a bit cheaper and I have played with a few of them and found them to be comfortable and a speedy doubles racquet. Look at the following models:
    Vertex and Wave BLX...a friend just got the first one and it plays beautiful!

Other things to consider:
    Victor Brave Sword 10 or 11, slight head heavy and stiff, great for smashing.
    Yonex Nanospeed 9900 - head light, stiff, fast
    Yonex AT900 T - a lot of my fellow players LOVE this racquet, personally, not a huge fan, but I am over ruled. Head heavy, good control and can be strung to 27lbs.

Good luck