Stronger netshots

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Cheung, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Do you players have a 'good side' for netshots?

This means either finding forehand or backhand net shots are easier.

I'm not particularly strong at netshots (need more practice:() but I find my inside to out netshot on the backhand is particularly more effective than any of my other netshots. I can sometimes spin this one really well.

There was a time when my forehand outside to in netshot was going well, but that was a while ago now:eek:

2. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    I find that my backhand is much better at controlling net shots. Do any players use backhand grip for the forehand side as well? I want to learn this, so that I will be using the same technique for all net shots, and I'll be more consistent.

Phil

3. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Same here. Backhand inside to out is where I'm most consistent. It's great for returning a short serve. Well disguised it can produce some outright winners, catching the opponent off-balance...

For some reason I just don't feel as comfortable with forehand net shots. For that reason I usually avoid tumbling on the forehand side...

4. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    Can someone clarify for me, what is the "inside to outside" motion? Is it from the inside of your body (thumb side for backhands) towards the outside (like lighting a match)? Or is it inside of the court to outside is which side you are on?

Phil

5. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Phil, you don't want to learn that! :)

I sometimes do it, but I'm working on getting rid of that bad habit. It's too counter-productive! You see, by using the backhand for a net shot on the forehand side, in a pressed situation it will be more or less impossible to execute a short diagonal return. An experienced opponent will quickly read this and will guard the net more aggressively, thus probably forcing you to lift the shuttle to the back.

6. mlvezina

mlvezina Regular Member

Straight ahead net shots, backhand is easier also.

Cross court net shots, equally easy if at net level, backhand is easier if lower.

Cheers,

Mike

7. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    As to inside to outside, at least I interpreted that as being in relative to the court.

8. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
  9. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

Great find phil; the video quality is excellent. My jaw dropped when he did that trick shot.:eek:

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Yes, that what I meant;)

I use a different grip for the forehand net shot. hmm, just looking at the front page of badmintoncentral.....It's similar to the style of Zhang Jun, except of course, the racquet is being held up underarm on the forehand side to the net.

Attached Files:

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    For tip-over, slice, net smash, my backhand is better (quicker and more accurate). For cross net, the forehand rulez...

12. Aleik

Aleik Regular Member

Let's not get encumbered by detail...(is the taxma
    My net shots aren't too bad, but I find I can't control the shuttle as well as needed when I hit it square on with the racket (i.e. it may go too high if I hit it too hard).

So I came up with something I'm sure I've seen before but have been told not to do...I cut underneath the shuttle - more of an action parallel with the net chord. It works best with the backhand but forehand must obviously be used for far right-sided shots. Even if I hit it late i seem to produce an accuracy to the nearest inch. Am I right to play net shots like this?

13. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Uhh, off a serve I can do this thing where I keep it to my forehand then flip the racquet to the left for a cross net shot and I do that pretty well. My backhand cross court at the net is brutal since it goes a tad too high. High enough for it to be snapped so I got to work on that. For just a straight netshot my backhand seems to be better.