Powerfull/Fastest Smash = %swing speed + %tension + %sweet pot + %player strenght??

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by bblun, Nov 11, 2010.

1. bblun

bblun Regular Member

IT Manager
    What your formula? or did higher tension + faster swing speed / acceleration = better smash ??

2. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    The whole lot. Should not vary much once you reach a certain level. ;)

3. tarpen

tarpen Regular Member

everything is about technique. :)

4. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    In my opinion, string tension is an irrelevant factor. Higher tensions decrease power, so to get a powerful smash, as tarpen said, you need technique, technique, technique :)

Fast swing speeds are definitely a must, but it must also be a very "focused" swing - swinging fast is no good unless you swing properly. Player strength is not that relevant either. More strength helps - but it is ALL about technique :)

A final thought - I believe most of the "power" of a smash, is in its accuracy. If it goes to the right place, where your opponent can't react to it, it will appear to be fast. It will ALWAYS be effective :)

5. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I don't think it's that straightforward. Different players will get the most power at different string tensions. An average club player might find 23 lbs the best tension for power, whereas a professional might find 28 lbs is the best for power. This is because the professional player generates higher racket-head speed and hits more precisely towards the centre of the strings. These factors affect the string-bed response.

The "low tension = more power" dogma is usually supported by an awful pseudo-physics argument: a so-called "trampoline effect", which likens a loose string-bed to a trampoline that somehow "generates" extra power for free. That argument is tosh; it breaks the first law of thermodynamics six ways to Sunday. ;)

But let's not lose sight of the bigger picture. Matt is absolutely correct to emphasise technique here. String tension will make very little difference, providing you don't go too high, or stupidly low (15 lbs). Most players should stick to around 21--24 lbs and not worry about it.

Gpower likes this.
  6. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    You are of course correct :) the point I am trying to convey, which you have also supported is that with you good technique, you will get good power whatever you use. Give lin dan a crappy racket, and he is still going to hit extremely hard, but perhaps not as hard as he would with his FAVOURITE racket preferences for grip, tension and racket characteristics. Too many players feel that higher tensions will lead to magical powerful results, I hope that they realise this is just not true... technique, technique, technique :)

What angers me in these debates, is when the intermediate players are told they need to up the tension to 26 - 28lbs or something similar. Is this going to be beneficial when they look for that powerful smash? In my opinion no. Like you say, as long as its reasonable, the other things are important!

Thankyou for pointing that out :)

7. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Agreed. Not only is this a false promise of power, but also it puts them at serious risk of injury. If the tension is too high for a player, then he will damage his arm over time (probably the shoulder or elbow).

As for Lin Dan, he could play with a frying pan and still beat me. ;)

#7 Gollum, Nov 12, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  8. dlsk07

dlsk07 Regular Member

Student
    What i do to get a strong powerful smash is have the racquet head behind my head, then point your non - racquet hand towards the shuttle for balance, then swing your WHOLE arm (especially the wrist, it's very important), and make sure that your arm is vertical along with your body. Along with that, lean forward a bit

If it's a jump smash, then jump and do the same process

Racquet-wise, i think an aero dynamic, head heavy and light racquet will be good for smashing, like AT series (which many people find heavy), but i use mega heavy racquets like the Carbonex series, which is made from steel and aluminium (good old 20th century racquets), and for me is better than AT series (this is just my opinion, so you don't have to take my word for it)

9. derrickn

derrickn Regular Member

technique + TIMING + string tension. I don't need to swing very hard to get a decent smash. And I also like to string my racket at 30lbs mains, 32 lbs across. There's no way I could hit harder with 21 lbs strings :D!

10. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    If such type of stroke can be sum into a formula as stated above, then you miss one most important variables that is proper footwork. Without it, regardless if you have the correct smash technique applied, suitable string tension, powerful arm swing and superfast swing speed, none of this will be useful since you can't position yourself correctly to execute a proper hit, hence, timing and the precision to accurately hit at the racket sweet pot will also be out of the question;).

11. dlsk07

dlsk07 Regular Member

Student
    not unless if you are at the position already, but otherwise, yes footwork is very important. Well noting

12. London_Player

London_Player Regular Member

admin
    Some players have a natural hard smash, look at all the pro rear court players.

Agree that technique is very important but also placement of the smashes, which is far more important than a producing very hard smash. If the opposition can read your smashes, then no matter how hard you hit, it won't be effective. That's what I'm trying to focus on right now, the placement of the smashes in strategic areas, in men's doubles.

Gpower likes this.
  13. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

I found out that working with a training racket which increases your swing speed will help increase your smash. The longer you use it without picking up your regular racket, the more improvement you'll see. You might see some improvement at 1st, but it's not going to be long lasting.

14. BS_IJOY

BS_IJOY New Member

assistant engineer
    my experience is you must have technique that you can learn, but timing you can't learn, you must play often to get the timing, and i agree that lower tension will give more power, but problem when defence, and we must understand why pro level string 0ver 30 pound, because they want to get control the shuttle from out, they also have strong wrist, if you have strong wrist dont increase your string to get more powersmash, its for your shuttle control

15. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    Agree on higher tension for control. I also find that the most important thing in smash is the placement, so accuracy is a must.

A decent smash aimed at a good place (steep, to the forehand-hip, middle, down the tramlines) is more dangerous that a very fast and powerful smash that aims at the backhand

16. orangenetic

orangenetic Regular Member

This is also about good technique.
    But especially make sure you don't slice your smash.(Unless it intended to be a sliced smash) Sliced smashes seem to me like the biggest reason people without correct overhead swings lose power.

Sliced smashes also makes the player lose accuracy.

17. FeatherDance

FeatherDance Regular Member

Bringing this thread up again. My coaches never really emphasized having a super smash, but when they did they pointed to resistance training as the prime way of increasing power (speed and pressure drills with training racket etc). Such trainings however, only come 3-4 times a month. How can I do my own resistance training without a feeder?

My current smash is not weak, it's crisp, accurate and I find it very effective. It has power but no 'shock and awe' factor. Well, I'm greedy and envy those big smashers. Recently I partnered this guy who is a left hander (somehow left handers tend to have heavy smashes), and a bit on the heavy side. His technique was great as well but he lacked in movement. Weirdly enough, the best positioning we had was he in front and I at the back. My smashes and strokes created opportunities, and if our opponents messed up big he could go for a very thunderous kill from the front court. His weight made it hard to cover the backcourt, and oddly enough, our opponents could still retrieve his thunderous smashes most of the time. But whenever his smashes/kills found their mark, there are oohs and aahs - and not just from those watching, I also felt wowed. Man, I wish I could do smashes like that if just for the aesthetics.

18. mikescully

mikescully Regular Member

simple wrist, finger, forearm training for 10-15 mins a day could bring out that powerful smash. I was told my smashes are quite powerful for recreational/social player who only played for nearly 3 years( at least at my club where I'm playing I was told so). I use weight like dumbells, finger grips exercises, used bottles filled with water, spring expander for wrist curls,etc. I'm just doing it while watching TV so it's something you could do while just chillaxing at home :)

19. dontmakeme

dontmakeme Regular Member

student
    Creating the Fastest Smash

Fastest Smash = Technique + Swing Speed + Sweet Spot + Tension + Flexibility + Racquet

Technique = Proper transfer of energy through your body onto the shot without losing energy and causing injuries to your body
    Doesn't matter how well you swing your whole body, if you swing it too hard you will injure yourself (rotator cuff, tennis elbow, Achilles rupture, Back problems, etc)

Swing Speed = The explosiveness of suddenly pushing all the right muscles faster and harder to increase speed overall
    Think about lifting a light dumbell vs heavy dumbell but instead trying to jerk it up as fast as possible

Sweet Spot = Hitting the shuttle at the right spot to maximize the string bed and racquet
    Sweet spot ... something to do with the way strings are focused to that location yada....

Tension = Optimal tension to play properly and generate the fastest smash
    More flex in the string generates more speed, however the immediate reaction in the strings will be slower.

Flexbility = The potential energy that the racquet can store and use.
    You need to be able to flex the shaft in order for the power to transfer through your racquet, which is why flexible racquets are easier to generate power, but after you have faster swing speed and techique, you may want to go to a more stiffer racquet.

Racquet = Different technologies with shapes, sizes and weight.
    Remember the faster you can swing a racquet the faster your shot will be with all else held constant (strings, weight, flexbility). So aerodynamic racquets probably will give you a higher swing speed than a non-aero one. My classic example would be Voltric Z-force vs Voltric Z-force 2 where VZF2 was more aerodynamic and smaller head.

Aside from the general stuff...
    Technique = Footwork + Body Form + Swing Form + Racquet Contact
    Footwork
    1. Getting to the proper location on the court
    2. Properly loading your body to transfer energy to the shot
    3. Getting to the proper location early enough to generate a perfect shot

Body Form
    1. Make sure your body is in a biomechanically proper stance and form (back straight...)
    2. Proper form to transfer momentum from legs to abs to chest to arm to the shot
    (Rotating your body, flexing the right muscles at the right time....)
    3. Proper form of recovering the shot

Swing Form
    1. Proper swing for your arm
    2. Proper transfer of energy from shoulder to arm to forearm to racquet
    3. Proper recovery

Racquet Contact
    1. Hitting the maximum torque
    2. Hitting the maximum torque at the right racquet position
    3. Hitting the right sweet spot
    4. Hitting the shot square
    5. Racquet shaft unflexing to use the stored energy

How to increase your swing speed?
    Swing speed = Fitness + Racquet
    Fitness = Explosiveness + Flexibility + Cardiovascular Endurance + Efficiency

Explosiveness = Quickness to generate strength from a single muscle as soon as possible
    (Lifting a light dumbell as fast as possible vs regular pace)

Flexibility = Healthiness of your body to give you more range of motion
    (More backswing gives you more time to accelerate)

Cardiovascular Endurace = the efficiency of your body to allow your body to do the maximum at difference % to maximum a number of times
    (Walking for 1 hour vs Sprinting at max speed for 1 hour)

Efficiency = how well your body and muscles get used to doing the same action over and over
    (As you do more push ups, your body gets better at it, hopefully with the right technique)

Racquet = Aerodynamic + Proper Weight + Proper Balance
    Aerodynamic = technology by manufacturer to make your racquet swing better through the air

Proper weight = weight to make it harder for you to swing

Proper racquet balance = weight to make it harder for you to swing

For the average player...I recommend to...
    Focus heavily on Technique and Fitness, that way you don't get injured, and you learn
    Get a racquet that suits you or is easier on you. My recommendation would be to get a racquet that is one that has an even balance that you feel comfortable swinging, 89g weight, 21lbs - 25lbs tension.

#19 dontmakeme, Aug 9, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
    Gpower and stewartgoroa like this.
  20. mikescully

mikescully Regular Member

^

wow very thorough and detailed answer, badminton expert detected ( or at least very experienced) :p