What the best way to improve Stamina and the Speed for a badminton newbie?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Kelvin_Lee, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Kelvin_Lee

Kelvin_Lee New Member

Can i know what the best way to improve Stamina and the Speed for a badminton newbie? A way which can perform in my home. I want to train myself up before i joining any badminton club.

What a badminton player need?
    Example like Stamina, speed and etc.
    Any extra, you can add it and explain the way to improve.

*Please be detail when you suggest a way*

TQ.

2. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    Very simple , run 2.4 everyday build stamina.

3. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Do lots of skipping and footwork regularly. ;)

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    To improve Stamina and the Speed for a Badminton newbie

Agree.

* Running (jogging longer distances) will improve stamina.
    * Sprinting (in short distances) will improve speed.

5. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    You must start with working on your CORE muscles - your abdominal and back muscles. These are the foundation onto which all other muscles anchor. This will help your stamina, and allow you to better coordinate your body, actions, and hence push yourself when you perform your other training. I recommend "abdominal exercises for boxers" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMdSor8_UI0 as an excellent source :)

Whilst building your core strength, also focus on building your arm strength - I recommend Paul stewarts armchair exercises found at badminton-coach.co.uk

Once you have your core strength, work on your leg strength - fast feet, skipping, jogging are all excellent, but fast feet and skipping are more important than jogging. Replace jogging with shadowing (moving on court without the shuttle) and things become a lot better a lot more quickly.

The key for these exercises is to start slowly and build them up :) Your body will need plenty of time to develop and grow - so dont neglect recovery from exercises! Have a day off every now and then.

Co-ordination and posture are extremely important - posture is how to stand i.e. with your weight low, your legs just more than shoulders width apart, and when you move, maintain this balanced upper body stance - weight leaning forwards not backwards.

Co-ordination is general movement and racket skill co-ordination - get on court and play to develop this :)

Remember when reaching overhead to REACH UP! It is very important, and always have the correct grip.

These are just some pointers to get you started :)

p.s. the most important thing - ENJOY YOUR BADMINTON :)

6. Kelvin_Lee

Kelvin_Lee New Member

Woo.. Thx.. I appreciated for the precious comment that you guys posts. Well.. it seem like i still have a long way to go.. It anyone still have any better training method, you are welcome to share it with me.

Just like MSeeley say,
    ..=)

7. midtownace

midtownace Regular Member

I like alot of the hard-core traditional stuff. Hit the treadmill, and do some high intensity sprints

8. alexh

alexh Regular Member

When you say "fast feet", is there a specific exercise or drill that you're thinking of?

9. zombiez

zombiez Regular Member

Full time Dad
    My suggestion.

Do yoga. Strange as it sounds but you can build your core muscle, increase stability and reduce risk of injury. Running is very high impact and bad for the knees. And all the muscle aches after a badminton session is because the normal exercises doesn't move some of the muscle groups. :D

10. midtownace

Yoga is very good for strengthening and maintaining the core body and overall energy. But to really increase stamina and explosiveness there is no way you can avoid the hard core fitness/running aspects

11. zombiez

zombiez Regular Member

Full time Dad

Explosiveness without stability and core strength will lead to injuries. Injuries lead to no more explosiveness. Says Master Yoda.

Buy a pair of good shoes, train your stability and core muscles before venturing into explosions that might destroy you :D.

Try this for a minute for both legs. A basic lunge is very essential to badminton.

yoga-pose-warrior-1.jpg

Or if you want a more manly pose :D.

warrior one.png

#11 zombiez, Nov 16, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    A classic reverse punch picture for those karate exponents.

There is a yoga exponent who wants to introduce it to badminton. Breathing exercises, strengthening and control. He's a good badminton player as well.

13. midtownace

Yes, explosiveness without stability can lead to injuries. Ofcourse you want to master basic core excersies before getting into the bigger and better stuff

14. malaysianfreak

malaysianfreak Regular Member

student
    reading from the posts....jogging is your best bet? how about swimming is it better?

15. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

The best exercise is the one you will actually do. So pick something you enjoy. A variety of exercises tends to be more effective than just one thing.

Try to avoid running on roads (tarmac). Soft surfaces are kinder to your knees (grass, gravel tracks...).

16. mrezat

mrezat Regular Member

Project Manager
    I highly recomended u to train ur feet tru footwork exercise. U can search the youtube on badminton footwork. That will help alot on ur speed. :):):)

17. wuyeah

wuyeah Regular Member

Designer
    Running is the foundation for a lot of sports that require endurance. You have to be able to run, there for you don't go tire quickly when you training for footwork. Yet, training for speed training method need to be a bit different.

You need to JOG every other days (not everyday) for distance. Longer distance you can run, adds your endurance. There for, you can out play your challenger with long games.

Training for speed, you need to add SPRINT into your JOGGING routine. After 1 mile jog, you do 0.25 mile racing speed, then slow down continue to jog, after another 1 mile jog, you sprint again then jog after. If you do a 5miles jog. Try to add 3-5 sprint into it. Let's say you did one jog on Monday, Wednesday you try to add distance into your jog, like 6miles. At the same time, try your best to add your sprint distance as well. Make your sprint 0.3-0.5 mile.

Push longer distance, push for faster speed for distance. Longer you can run, faster you are in shorter distance. You also learn to get real explosive with your muscle strength and speed.

Don't try to built it fast. Faster you try to build, more tire you get, more likely you will give up on your training.

I am the pacer of my dragon boat team. Although I paddle with hands but endurance is needed. Dragon boat race is very intense. A lot of times I'll need instant explosive power to paddle through close race. My heart need to prepare for it when I am already tired. Jogging help me a lot playing badminton. I noticed most of guys get tire easy and slow down on their foot work.

18. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Best advice in my humble opinion

19. malaysianfreak

malaysianfreak Regular Member

student
    is there any right technique to skipping? or u just nid to jump pass the rope? most both your legs pass at once or one at a time or both is ok?

20. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Skipping is running/jumping on the spot

To me, skipping is running/jumping on the spot.

Have a look at this YouTube;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIIIXLhK8vw