New Pairings.....

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Byro-Nenium, Mar 16, 2001.

1. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    We all know that the Olympic Gold Medalists for the mens doubles have been split up. Candra Wijaya/Tony Gunawan have been split and put back with their orginal partners....... Candra/Sigit & Tony/Halim.

According to the commentator at the Yonex All England, the PBSI split them up so that the Indonesians could have "3 very strong" pairs. Including Flandi Limpele/Eng Hian.

Any comments on this?

thanx for all replies

2. May

May Guest

what do u mean?????

3. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    Somebody commented at the worldbadminton.net forum that Sigit and Halim's style of play was "technically incompatible". Can't comment on that means coz I'm no expert on technique. Much as I hate the decision to split, I s'ppose the original pairings were the strongest, at least in the eyes of the PBSI. I mean, there must be a reason why the players were paired that way. Candra and Tony were more or less a "last resort" (I hate myself for saying this) when Sigit incurred the drug ban. Which goes to show the amazing prowess of their men's doubles. One Olympic gold from a "last resort" pairing and a world no.5 ranking from their remaining partners within just a few mths.

In any case, it was Haryanto Halim who suffered the most. "Dumped" by Tony to be paired with the former World champ, albeit one who had recovered from a ban, then got back with Tony, who had by then became an Olympic champion. No wonder Christian Hadinata said he was lacking in "self-confidence". Sorry I'm going into this nonsense again...

4. May

May Guest

I agree with u.

5. abt the 3 very strong pairs thing, well u saw the all england. tony/halim combine very well, to me they combine better than sigit/candra coz they always miss the smash down the center line. but they are all very strong. they beat all the seeded pairs. mind u they were unseeded.

6. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I know but they should have been.

How would you compare the Candra/Tony pairing with say, the Tony/Halim, Candra/Sigit, Flandi/Eng and Tony/Rexy pairings?

7. well for now its hard to compare the new pairs with the candra/tony pair, maybe u can compare in 6 months, when they start playing with the koreans

8. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    I dunno if you'll agree with me but I think Halim seems to be bringing the best out in Tony. Comparing the Al-England finals to the Olympic finals, Tony seemed more pro-active and was playing/smashing harder. Of course, I may be wrong coz this judgment is based only on a comparison of two matches. But I get the feeling that Candra/Sigit are having a harder time adjusting than Tony/Halim. Anyway, I hope they all manage to bt the Koreans....

9. yup i agree with that. in the olympics it seemed that candra is a better player, he's the 1 making all the winners. but in the all-england, with tony/halim, they seem to take turns in smashing, and tony looking more effective. not like the olympics, tony juz making the opening for candra. candra/sigit doesn't seem to communicate so well.