Asian Games 2010 LD VS TH

Discussion in 'Asian Games 2010 - Badminton' started by Babyface, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Babyface

Babyface Regular Member

Student
    After watching the tournament, well china vs Indonesia Men singles 1, i cant help but notice that TH has really picked up form. Despite the loss to LD in the match, there was a real difference in play, attitude, tactics and general flow of the game that reminded me a little of the TH back in the last asian games back in 2006.
    Comparing the french open last year, or even the previous meeting this year in the Thomas cup, TH has definitely found his passion for the game. i know he has not had great form during the last few years with the problems with the Indonesia camp, however, with the SS title (finally) and with the practice he has had recently (FO and DO) its very clear that he is getting back into form.
    LD... with the current no appearances, just by looking at LD you can see that he is ready for the team and individual battle as he looks in tip top condition (physically and mentally). i cant help but notice that the LD in Japan Open, looked a little tired and out of practice. (for all the LCW fans, im not taking the victory away from him, it was indeed a good match also).
    I still believe the person to beat is LD in the men singles, however, its nice to see more challenges arise to him as this makes the sport more competitive and fun to watch.

2. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

New role

Wednesday November 17, 2010
    Defending champion Taufik just wants to enjoy the game

INDONESIAN Taufik Hidayat will find it difficult to win a third consecutive Asian Games men’s singles gold medal in the presence of a determined Lin Dan of China, a desperate Lee Chong Wei of Malaysia and a dangerous darkhorse Park Sung-hwan of South Korea.

But he is certain to win hands down in one area – giving the crowd a delightful time with his beautiful game and funny antics on court.

During the team competition, he played the “court jester” and brought chuckles to the spectators by making funny faces, taking jibes at the linesmen and with his light banter against his opponents.

During one of the breaks, he showed off his talent by juggling the shuttlecock with his feet.

He also won the admiration and applause from the crowd whenever he hit his famously powerful back-handed smashes and deceptive slices.

The 2002 Busan and 2006 Doha Games singles champion said that he was enjoying the game “now that I am not under pressure from anyone ... not even myself”.

“I am having a good time here. There is no pressure and I just want everyone to enjoy the game too,” said Taufik.

“But that does not mean I do not want to do well in these Games. I will give my best in every match.”

He was pleased with the fight he put up before losing to Lin Dan 13-21, 21-23 in the first singles match of the semi-final tie, which Indonesia lost 0-3.

“I made minor mistakes despite taking a lead in the second game and, with Lin Dan, you cannot afford to do that. I am confident of my game,” said Taufik, who defeated Lin Dan in the 2006 final in Doha.

Taufik agreed that there could be pressure on Lin Dan and Chong Wei, who are out to win the Asiad men’s singles title for the first time.

“There is great home expectations on Lin Dan while Chong Wei succumbed to the pressure by losing in the team event (to Thailand’s Boonsak Ponsana in the quarter-final tie),” he said.

“It will be interesting to find out who troops out as the winner.”

And, in jest, he reminded the media: “Do not forget to come and watch us.”

Taufik is in the same half of the draw as second seed Lin Dan and Sung-hwan.

Sung-hwan showed he was also a strong contender for the title after giving Lin Dan a hard time before losing 21-19, 16-21, 18-21 in the first singles of the team final on Monday.

Chong Wei has Boonsak, Chen Jin of China and SonyDwi Kuncoro of Indonesia in his half of the draw.

There was no men’s singles action on the opening day of the individual competition yesterday.

© 1995-2010 Star Publications (Malaysia) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)

3. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Taufik has really matured over the last few years. It's so good to see him enjoying himself :). Hope that means he will delay his retirement for some time ;).

4. teddbaker

teddbaker Regular Member

i hope TH wins it again...

5. pralinescream

pralinescream Regular Member

although it is acknowledged dat taufik is one of de good players still playing in de circuit, nobody will put money on him to strike gold this time arnd.
    even all-england datuk and world champion chen jin stands a higher chance.
    super dan is simply too dominant and overwhelming among de rest. de only way he will lose this time wld be due to injuries.

6. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Was Lin Dan injured when he played PSH? He came close to losing that one. He's the clear favourite, but he's not unbeatable. No I wouldn't put my money on Taufik (unless I wanted to take a very big risk), but he has played very well recently. I wouldn't rule him out (or any of the top players for that matter) entirely! You just never know what could happen.

7. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    If we can only pick one player to win MS gold, IMO LD chances is better, looking at the draw. TH is playing well but he has a tougher path. LCW has a good draw too but then he may have to beat CJ (that is tough) and then beat LD/TH, etc.

8. Dokkie

Dokkie Regular Member

May sound odd, but I rather put my money on Chen Jin, LCW wil probably fail on the big occasion again, LD isn't very conssistent, I hope TH will win, but he really needs to play in a way we haven't seen from him quite long...

9. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

money is easy, let say you're in a hot air balloon 5000m up if you pick the worng winner the only way is down, free fall.
    who will you pick?

10. Dokkie

Dokkie Regular Member

Sorry mate hot air balloons don't get 5000 meters up, pressure is too high there. (Still CJ)

11. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

current record is 21,027m, anyway 21000 or 5000 still stick with LD for a safe decend

12. Dokkie

Dokkie Regular Member

Okay my bad :D

But I still stick with CJ.

13. teddbaker

teddbaker Regular Member

TH said he learned his lesson the hard way after losing to LD at the team event, so hopefully individual event would be different. odds are against him but just like phaarix said 'you just never know'. i believe in TH and his brand of badminton.

14. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

I think LD would make it to the finals. His biggest opponents I think would be someone from China, however with CJ in the opposite bracket, he would be too dominant and will make it to the finals.

15. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    First of, do u mean 'who would I pick to go down with me....hmmm, I would pick a couple of pretty chicks:D:)....or you mean who I pick to win, I pick LD still.;)