Racquet recommendation for petite lady

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by bf109, Mar 13, 2003.

1. bf109

bf109 New Member

Hi,

I and my wife would like to get into this sport and I need racquet recommendations.
    FYI, I used to play badminton about 11 years ago and now I decide to get back to this sport. I'm an amateur player who plays offensively while my wife only plays for recreation.

Here are some physical info.:

myself: 5'10" 155lbs with big hands (what grip size?); play offensively. I also
    play tennis, using 4-5/8 grip size racquet.

my wife: 5' 2" 100-110lbs (I'm not sure.) with petite hands (what grip size, please?)
    She is a recreational player who occasionally plays tennis with me, using
    4-1/8 grip size racquet. She has weak arms so she prefers lighter racquet
    I guess.

Would you recommend a few racquets for us, respectively? We are in the U.S. and our price range is between $50- $80 for each racquet.

BTW. I ever posted a thread regarding the pricing on MP 99 and MP 77 in this forum. But that thread was moved to "market place" later. Anyhow, I did receive some good information on choices of racquet from "LazyBuddy" and a few other. Thanks.

2. hypnoweb

hypnoweb Regular Member

Designer
    Similar Situation

I myself was in a similar situation. I was back into Badminton from an 8 yr absence and only had an old Carlton metal racquet, great 10 yrs ago, but heavy now. I did a ton of research and asked a lot of people here which only led to too much choice and more frustration. Eventually I spoke with David at www.sportsnetonline.net who reccommended a Gosen Roots 2400. I've played a few games since I got it and there was great improvement. Plus, I got it for a great price!

E-mail David at: jumpsmash@aol.com for advice, tell him Darren The British guy sent you.

Al the best,

Darren at: www.thebrits.com

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    In us market, it's kinda hard to go for the desired grip size due to dealers only have a few of each models in stock.

Also, with different manufactures, they rank their grip size quite different. Some using G1 as the largest, and G5 as the smallest (Yonex???), but others using G1 as the smallest, and G5 as the largest (Winex??? Yangyang???). There also a few just use small to large as the indicator (Genji).

I think the best way, is to contact the dealer, if u already have ur desired racket in mind. I am sure they will give u more information regarding to the particular model(s) u might be interested.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    bf109,

first of all, for some pointer on beginner's racket, please read the FAQ entry:

http://www.badmintonforum.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7741

if you are a beginner, i'd say most rackets will fit your need, your price range will give you many choices and if you stick with decent manufacturers, you will not go wrong. the key is to get out to the court and play and focus on the skills and the fun. the racket isn't that important.

lastly, about your thread on US mp77/99 pricing, as your thread was asking for pricing in the US, it belongs to the Market Place forum.

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    After reviewing ur detailed information, I further eliminate my recommendation:

For u, maybe take a shot on Fung 2000 Ti. It's more like an all around racket, however, as u improve, it's skill hard to say ur playing style. This is will be great if u want a light racket.

Alternate, Victor Dominator Ti, much heavier than Fung 2000, (92 vs 83), but very good swing power, with decent try. Plus, about $10 cheaper, hehehehehe

For ur wife, seems like she's really a beginner. Maybe Cab8200 could fit for her need. It's light (compare to Victor Dominator Ti) and has decent control (of course, skill counts, too). Fung 2000 is light, but might be too stiff (bad for weak arm) for her at this time.

If u can't find ur desire grip, get some overgrip (grip over the original grip) or some thicker replacement grip. This way, u can customerize ur grip size.

6. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    There is a great brand of racquet, just right for the mrs. It's called "handmedown".

If you are unsure still, it is advantageous for you to buy a racquet and try it out for yourself. If you don't like it, convince your wife it is the greatest racquet in the world, and give it to her, then you continue looking for your next one. If you like the racquet, then buy a second one, and give one to her.

From a beginner's perspective, there really is no right or wrong racquet. Each player will become accustomed to the racquet, and likely most players already started playing with some arm-buster anyways, so any decent racquet will feel like a feather.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Another person's dilemma

Here is a link to a related problem that shows what a minefield this can be.

Keep things simple, is my motto.

This thread