Time for an upgrade in String Tension?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Jazhangetsu, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Jazhangetsu

Jazhangetsu Regular Member

Student
    I've been playing for a long time now like 8 years? I'm 17 right now, training for my high school league; conditioning with weights, constant practices on footwork - form etc.
    I have been varying my tensions from 23-24-25 pounds being at my maximum. Using PG70pro's and sometimes TI-65's.
    I play mostly singles; aggressive style with my Arcsaber 10... but I do play doubles as well and i do really nice backcourt slice drops and strong smashes.

Lately I've been finding whatever aspect I can to improve my game... and well lately I've been noticing, who knows if it's cuz I've gotten stronger due to my training but it feels like my shots are effortlessly going going out from the baseline. My net shots are okay... but honestly... I don't have the feel like I use too... whenever I get the ''feel'' the bird, it goes out. The last time i restrung it was a month ago. BG70pro's and i play like once a week for 7 hours.

... I have a total power arm... I'm probably going to upgrade to around 28-30 anyways but I still want opinions. I know the benefits of higher string tension... (control-speed...) compared to the ''distance power of lower tensions''. I know the problems only occur regarding the player. My logic is, if i'm going to increase my string tension, better do it now so i can get use to it before the season starts.

Advice, criticism appreciated!

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Not sure if your stringer will string your Arc10 to 30 lbs.

To get more feel and control, you should switch to thinner strings at the same tension instead,
    eg. Zymax 67, BG 80, BG 66, etc.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    we only suggest going higher in tension if you are a powerful player. high tension string will give powerful player more power. will give weak player less power.

it sounds like you might be able to do take advantage of higher power. i would suggest do go higher than 28lbs and increase up slowly.

ARC10 @ 30lbs will be starting to endanger the integrity of the racket frame. there will be a higher likelihood that it will self-destruct until too much tension. esp on older ones. new one tend to be stronger and it wears out over time.

you have been warned.

4. Jazhangetsu

Student
    One of the reasons i stuck up to 25 is cuz like what it says in the racket frame...

So according to you 29Lb's it wont damage the frame right? ...
    I don't want to damage the racket >_>... i might play it safe and go 28 first... (don't think they damages the frame...?)

thanks for the replies!

5. visor

visor Regular Member

Just switch to thinner strings. Your bg 70 pro is too thick and soft feeling.

6. bazzaman

bazzaman Regular Member

IT
    I would say, borrow a friends racquet with .7mm strings @ 28lbs. If you like the feel and rarely mishit then go for it.

Otherwise it might prove costly to replace strings / racquets. If the strings break a lot and you have 2 spares then you might be ok but I think you would prefer to play with your main racquet for all matches.

Thinner strings at the same tension is the way to go for now

7. Jazhangetsu

Student
    What ''thinner'' strings do you recommend?
    I always went for durability...

the thing is, my team all all string around the same pounds as me.
    With durability + 28 pound tension = I thought it'd be better.

my thoughts anyways. I understand with higher tension, string's life decreases.
    yes it is costly to replace =/

8. visor

visor Regular Member

ah forget it... if you don't even bother reading...what's the point

i'm outa here

9. Jazhangetsu

Student
    chillax. its late at night. *yawn*.

10. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    To the OP,

Take it easy initially with high tension. If you wish to play consistently with 28 - 30 lbs tension, please do regular muscle-specific weight training as well as badminton drills. A training racket (130 grams or more) strung to 30 lbs will also help you to acclimatize to the new tension when you switch back to the ARC 10. It takes about a year or more of all the previously mentioned trainings to play well at 30 lbs.