racket choice advice/alternatives

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by quezac, Nov 18, 2010.

1. quezac

quezac Regular Member

I'll try to avoid being too vague as "What is the best racket for me?" must be the most asked, and hardest question to answer.
    O.K. I played a lot when I was younger (at school) and played to a reasonable standard. I stoped playing for 24 years. Have resumed playing since 2 years, couple of times a week for 2-3 hours. I'm now 45. I would guess I'm an intermedite level player. I used to play a very aggressive game, now it's more mixed as my body complains, however I still have a advantage over the others in my club (which is not of a very high standard, but mainly in mid-late 20's) as I have no problems driving/clearing from baseline to baseline on fore and backhand (except on backhand when I have to turn and take the shuttle high from behind me). I get my power more from arm/shoulder than wrist , particularly on forehand (I damaged my wrist in my 20's and have slightly reduced movement).
    I had a forza ti28 n-forze, I found it too heavy, just about O.K. for singles but never felt good about it, maybe too stiff aswell? So I went to the other extreme and got a Carlton Air rage S-lite, it felt fantastic to start with, so light, manouverable, mid court I had only to flick it to move the shuttle about, but it lacked something overhead, mainly on smashing, the more I put in the less I got out. Then I wondered if I was having timing issues (too flexible or my dodgy eyesight!).
    Having now broken 2 of the carltons in 3 months (no major collisions) I'm giving up with head light rackets.
    So, am thinking of perhaps the carlton VTT(about 85 euros and shiny), arcsabre 7( a bit much for me at near 100 stirling), or maybe the carlton Air Rage ST(70 euros). Do you think these are good choises? which would you recomend? any sugestions? I'm no racket snob so would be willing to conscider apacs, sotx etc if you think they might be good for me.
    Thanks in advance for any advice anyone wishes to give, and sorry for the length of the post.
    P.S. am astonished at the effort and dedication of many of the contributers to this site. Respect!