User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bbn View Post
    OTB,

But this forum is dominated by Malaysians, so that they are the loudest, the majority so to speak.
    You make that sound like it's a bad thing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnchang View Post
    You make that sound like it's a bad thing!
    I really dont know, as long as there is room for everyone to express their views freely without being intimidated,

no problem.

We are not the most powerful nation , if we do not encourage others from other places to express their views,

we may simply be too inward-looking and may just fall behind because we cant learn from others.Then we will always "gostan".

Up to you to decide what you want.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad View Post
    ..for Datuk LCW, win the WC next yr & get it over with!..otherwise, Datuk has to wait 2 more long yrs (2013) for another chance..
    Indeed, need to nail it down once and for all at the London WC 2011 edition while still in the best physical condition otherwise will need to wait till 2013 which by that time he is already 31 y.o....and also the London 2012 Olympic edition or otherwise will wait till 2016 by which he is already 34 y.o.

Quote Originally Posted by OneToughBirdie View Post
    Thanks, but are u agree with me on LCW and Eddy boy, or the part where I said 'young and good looking'...just checking
    Its about DLCW and Eddy mate......

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shooting stroke View Post
    Its about DLCW and Eddy mate......
    Just pulliny your legs...hahaha!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bbn View Post
    its not true.

Players accorded LEGENDARY status are based on their achievements in their eras. otherwise, there will be no past legends,
    to qualify one has to be the player to beat, won major titles etc. etc. ie.certain recognised benchmarksof their Sports Associations.
    Agree with you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamzz View Post
    I don't think that statement is true at all. I'm not sure what the world rankings of Eddy Choong and Wong Peng Soon were at the time, but I would argue that they were just as good, if not better than LCW.
    LCW is one of the greatest badminton Malaysia has ever produced..to lay claim to be the greatest he has to win AE more than 4 times ( EC and WPS did it 4 times in MS) & at least nick the WC or OG once to outshine the two giants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bugsy View Post
    LCW is one of the greatest badminton Malaysia has ever produced..to lay claim to be the greatest he has to win AE more than 4 times ( EC and WPS did it 4 times in MS) & at least nick the WC or OG once to outshine the two giants.

I think he just has to win 1 world championship to be Malaysia's first world champ to overtake the oldies.

That is not impossible and it can be done, let's face it LD is fading even though he won the AG,the gap is getting closer, LD in his prime

could finish the game in 2 sets. i dont think he can overtake LD ever.

To claim 1 more worlds is possible if he peaks himself just for that tournament. But if he fails even then there is nothing more to discuss.

How many past champions in the world can shoulder the burden of winning Thomas Cup, Sudirman cup, Worlds, AE ,Domestic Leagues,& Super

Series continuously, the greats were allowed to select the tournaments they targeted.

Some of you are pros, tell me if it is physically possible, in a sport with a 12 month calender.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lets have a look at the previous record of DLCW's WC journey:

2005 Lost to Taufik Hidayat (INA)
    2006 Lost to Bao ChunLai (CHN)
    2007 Lost to Sony Dwi Kuncoro (INA)
    2009 Lost to Sony Dwi Kuncoro (INA)
    2010 Lost to Taufik Hidayat (INA)

So the big obstacles for winning the world championship is not LD, it's from INA player. DLCW even do not stand a chance to meet LD in the WC Stage.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ehh... Did LCW win the Thomas Cup? Sudirman Cup? AG?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i've already spoken abt this in another thread but datuk is definitely not the best player boleh-land has produced.
    in terms of achievement, he only has all-england to shout abt, hafiz was also all-england champion too.
    the greatest player is rashid sidek, who overcame zhao jianhua the shuttle sorcerer and hardy ardy wiranata to lead and inspire boleh-land to thomas cup success in de modern era.
    and also, rashid was unbeatable in boleh-land, making him de original jaguh kampung or village champion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

heard that zjh took some mulla when he lost.

Anyway, difficult to compare players with different generation. So many factors to think and compare. Skills, timing, opponents, etc etc... dun compare compare... just enjoy... unless this person or ld really wins it all, then we can say the greatest. So far no one is the greatest...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what can we say, some people just wants to discredit lcw at all cost.

comparing the past and the present?

phew !

i am sweating ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pBmMalaysia View Post
    what can we say, some people just wants to discredit lcw at all cost.

comparing the past and the present?

phew !

i am sweating ...
    there is no point to compare skills, speed, power between players from different era.
    the measure of greatness is how much the player dominates his/her opponents and how many major titles which were won.
    come to think of it, datuk is not even in the league of one of the greats, his single AE win pales in comparison to achievements of rashid sidek, tan aik huang, eddy choong etc.
    no matter how many times he win super singles series or inconsequential tournaments, the only thing added is prize and sponsorship money. in terms of badminton achievement, datuk is juz mid-table.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know about other players. My guess is that lcw did better than Rashid in all categories so far except for the Thomas Cup (which until now, I still doubt if we win it cleanly. However a win is a win; I give the benefit of the doubt). Rashid's mental was weaker due to the jaguh kampung tag. LCW Olympic silver, MO titles and the AE shows a better result compared to Rashid.

Also in terms of the number of tournaments LCW won is pretty remarkable. Not easy to win many tournaments. Like others who also agreed that there will be many years to come before anyone can win as many tournaments as him.

For the older generations from 1975 to lee chong wei era, I don't see much achievements. Still not easy to compare them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default lcw compared with other greats.

I don't know about other players. My guess is that lcw did better than Rashid in all categories so far except for the Thomas Cup (which until now, I still doubt if we win it cleanly. However a win is a win; I give the benefit of the doubt). Rashid's mental was weaker due to the jaguh kampung tag. LCW Olympic silver, MO titles and the AE shows a better result compared to Rashid.

Also in terms of the number of tournaments LCW won is pretty remarkable. Not easy to win many tournaments. Like others who also agreed that there will be many years to come before anyone can win as many tournaments as him.

For the older generations from 1975 to lee chong wei era, I don't see much achievements. Still not easy to compare them.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Lee Chong Wei: Legend of modern-day Badminton

Last time I checked, AE was a SS event. Just like MAS SS, INA SS, Japan SS etc. Can anyone say that those events are not fought for by the best in the world? Or were not fought for? If CHN chooses not to send their best to say, MAS or INA Open for fear of the partisan crowd, well then, it's no different at the China Open either!

So under these circumstances, to have won so many SS titles (often with the best CHN competition around) is no small achievement, by any standard. Yes, there will always be people around to belittle a player and his achievements, and to that I say, "yeah, whatever."

Rashid was a great player, no doubt, but he didn't bring the Thomas Cup home single-handed. MAS had some really good players doing their thing in 1992; remember, they also knocked out China in the semis at that time. It was a team effort. A really good team effort.

LCW has achieved everything he has, often despite the system, and with the singular handicap of not having a strong MAS singles contingent to back him up anywhere at all. He has succeeded in maintaining his high standards for such a long time despite all the bitching and squabbling. He has taken his overworked body week after week for years, all over the globe, representing his country at the highest levels of the game with great dignity and great success. He deserves respect. He deserves our applause. He deserves our thanks. He has made this game worth watching.

Like Ivan Lendl, a tennis giant and legend of his time was once described, you sure can use the same words to describe Lee Chong Wei as "the greatest over-achiever in the history of the game."

I am not a Malaysian, but I sure recognize a great player when I see one. I would not hesitate to name LCW as a modern-day legend of the game, because he has achieved more than almost anyone else, despite the odds that have mostly always been stacked against him. This cannot be disputed. There will still be people who belittle him, but IMO, they only expose their own pettiness.
    Last edited by cobalt; 12-04-2010 at 09:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    Last time I checked, AE was a SS event. Just like MAS SS, INA SS, Japan SS etc. Can anyone say that those events are not fought for by the best in the world? Or were not fought for? If CHN chooses not to send their best to say, MAS or INA Open for fear of the partisan crowd, well then, it's no different at the China Open either!

So under these circumstances, to have won so many SS titles (often with the best CHN competition around) is no small achievement, by any standard. Yes, there will always be people around to belittle a player and his achievements, and to that I say, "yeah, whatever."

Rashid was a great player, no doubt, but he didn't bring the Thomas Cup home single-handed. MAS had some really good players doing their thing in 1992; remember, they also knocked out China in the semis at that time. It was a team effort. A really good team effort.

LCW has achieved everything he has, often despite the system, and with the singular handicap of not having a strong MAS singles contingent to back him up anywhere at all. He has succeeded in maintaining his high standards for such a long time despite all the bitching and squabbling. He has taken his overworked body week after week for years, all over the globe, representing his country at the highest levels of the game with great dignity and great success. He deserves respect. He deserves our applause. He deserves our thanks. He has made this game worth watching.

Like Ivan Lendl, a tennis giant and legend of his time was once described, you sure can use the same words to describe Lee Chong Wei as "the greatest over-achiever in the history of the game."

I am not a Malaysian, but I sure recognize a great player when I see one. I would not hesitate to name LCW as a modern-day legend of the game, because he has achieved more than almost anyone else, despite the odds that have mostly always been stacked against him. This cannot be disputed. There will still be people who belittle him, but IMO, they only expose their own pettiness.
    greats are not measured by the major titles they 'could/would/should' have won.
    but i guess in boleh-land, rejoicing over getting scraps and leftovers is as good as it gets.

comparing datuk to ivan lendl made me choke on my toast this mrng.
    'modern legend' indeed, that is juz boleh-cheer.

look at mighty China and great Indonesia, so many world champions, olympic champions, all-england champs and none of them are spoken as legends except for the truly exceptional like Super Dan, Yang Yang, Zhao Jianhua, Xiong Guobao, Han Jian, Xia Xuanze, Dong Jiong, Chen Hong, Taufik Hidayat, Hariyanto Arbi, Poul-Erik Hoyer Larsen, Alan Budi Kusuma, juz to name a few.

All these players are miles ahead of datuk, with the exception of Super Dan who is light years away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post

rashid's achievements is one of the greatest efforts in boleh-land badminton history.
    playing 1st singles, with the entire weight of nation on his shoulders, he was able to lead the team to victory and comprehensively beat de tireless ardy wiranata and magical sorcerer zhao jianhua. both the mightiest players on the planet at that time with vastly contrasting skills.

but rashid managed to beat them and lead the team to victory. his efforts managed to inspire his teammates to over-achieve as well.
    can datuk do it? juz look at 2010 thomas cup. HA HA HA.

datuk always lose and give plenty excuses whenever the going gets tough.
    and it always doesn't need Super Dan to whack him, even taufik and sony can smack him arnd like a rag doll in world championships.
    he is not made of the stuff of the greats.
    juz an average player among a mediocre boleh-tam.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast