Really need some help! Looking for a racket

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by busterbuzz, Nov 20, 2010.

1. busterbuzz

busterbuzz Regular Member

Hey guys I am looking for a high-end racket, Yonex would be preferred. My style of play is offence. I like making the other player run and smashin hard. I want a racket that is very good at smashing because my 50$ racket is not cutting it. I heard that head heavy is good for powerful shots so I would be prone to getting a head heavy racket.

My budget is 300$ max.
    some rackets caught my eye:
    -Yonex ArcSaber Z
    -Yonex ArcSaber 10
    - Yonex Armortec 900
    -LI-NING Lin Dan Woods N90-2
    -Yonex ArcSaber 8-DX

Suggestions are welcome,

Also on the badmintonalley website their is options to choose string and tension, which is the best for power?

Thanks guys, appreciate it!

2. visor

visor Regular Member

welcome!

so from your profile, you play plastic

singles or doubles?

3. what07

what07 Regular Member

If you play mostly singles then AT700 or AT900P are both headheavy powerful rackets. If you want a more all arounder then Arc 10 which is slightly headheavy is a good racket.

As for strings it's subjective, I suggest bg-80 at 24lbs to start.

4. busterbuzz

Well I play mostly singles but also enjoy playing doubles at times. More string tension= More power I presume?

5. visor

visor Regular Member

for singles, yeah what what07 said... at900p or even the new voltric 70

higher tension only if your swing is fast enough to bend the strings effectively, otherwise you're gonna get a sore shoulder/elbow

for plastic, i don't recommend thin strings like bg80
    bg65 is ok as it is thicker, but it loses tension easily

if you can, go for zymax 67 or 70 perhaps at 22-23 lbs
    very powerful, good touch, and more importantly holds tension for a long time

6. busterbuzz

Well I am not a beginner nor a pro. I will keep getting better with practice. Can I still get a 24bls tension or is it just to much for an intermediate? I mean I can practice with it and get used to it.

For the racket I am heading towars the at900p but I am still unsure. Waiting for more feedback

Thanks for your help visor and what

7. visor

visor Regular Member

sure you can try 24 lbs with thicker strings like bg70pro or zymax 70

but don't bother with thin hard feeling strings like bg80 or bg66 at the same 24 lbs for plastic
    it'll be too hard for plastic

8. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    Hi bro , i recommend u use Victor Super wave 35, its a powerful stiff racket.

9. busterbuzz

Thanks for your input Ferrekiko but I wish to have a yonex racquet, sorry :). Visor what is the difference between thin and think strings? out of all those choices in stringing which one would be best?

badmintonalley.com/Yonex_Armortec_900_Power_Lee_Chong_Wei_AT_900PLC_p/racket-yonex-at900-power-lcw.htm

I am still debating if I should get the at900p, the arc10 or the 8dx =/

10. Ferrerkiko

audit assistant
    Bro , Yonex is going downhill , up and coming are Victor & Li Ning , my advice to you is get either one of them.

11. visor

visor Regular Member

head heavy, mod head heavy, balanced in that order :p :)

if you play mostly singles, go for the head heavy

strings: thin ones are great for feather because hitting feather requires "feel" as feathers hit lighter on the hand

however with plastic, thin strings are going to feel harsh on the hand as plastic hits harder (most of the mass is in the cork, whereas for feathers, the mass is distributed more evenly between the skirt and the cork). so you need thick strings for plastic otherwise your hand is gonna tire faster from the impact

excellent choices for thick strings as mentioned above:
    bg70pro, zymax 70
    or even good old bg65, but you gotta string 1-2 lbs higher as it loses that much over the first few weeks

12. what07

what07 Regular Member

Generally thinner strings perform better in terms of power and control compare to the thicker strings. But if you are gonna choose a thinner string then string lower since you play with nylons shuttles. Thickers strings are more durable but require a higher tension to perform smiliar to there thinner counterpart. E.g BG-80 at 22lbs, BG-65 at 24lbs

I play with plastics rarely now but when I use to, I had BG-80 at 24lbs then 26lbs and it was fine. But visor point is correct about the feeling. I never tried zm70 so no opinion on that but don't go for zymax 62 because you'll break strings more often with nylons :p

I notice on your profile your using Kason, why won't u switch over to Victor & Li Ning first? Unless Kason is gonna go uphill in the future ;)

13. Ferrerkiko

audit assistant
    Halo friend. i am already using Li ning and waiting for kason Fu haifeng racket before buying ..

For yr info , i am a supporter of China : 中国队加油

14. what07

what07 Regular Member

Ello friend. I have nothing agianst Li ning or victor or any brands. Thanks for the calification on your preference. Now back on topic. :)

15. busterbuzz

ok so between LI-NING Lin Dan Woods N90-2 and Yonex Armortec 900 Power which one would have the best performance, because they are both head heavy racquets that pack a punch.

For the tension, I will string it at 24lbs and use Bg-70pro

16. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

Try and get an Arcsaber 8DX
    Don't get the Arcsaber Z Slash at the moment because you are playing with plastics at the moment

17. JL108

JL108 Regular Member

student
    i would say the n90 gen2 would be better. it's pretty heavy tho. from my view the racket is not for everyone.
    from the reviews i read, try the n50 gen2 fu hai feng is using. should be more than enough, even though fu hai feng is using that racket for doubles. i believe for an average everyday player like you and me it will be more than enough and easy to play with.

just my 2 cents