Single - against a tricky player

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by matscam, Mar 14, 2003.

1. matscam

matscam Regular Member

Designer
    Hi Everyone,

I have a singles tournament tomorrow, and I have already seen the group that I play in, and 1 player in the group I find very difficult to play against.

Basically his main game is deep clear, and then tight drop, and very tight net shots.

I understand these are good shots for singles, but is there anything I can do against them?
    or to disrupt the pattern somehow.

I feel I have a larger range of shots than him, but I just can't seem to use them.

Thanks,

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    A very difficult player to play against. I thikn he has fewer range of shots but each shot is performed to a high quality.

I suspect this person does not smash much - am I right?

3. matscam

matscam Regular Member

Designer
    yes you are right, I can only remember him smashing once against me.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    not only a difficult player to play, but also a very skillful player to play.

i fear player who do not smash more than a player who smashes a lot. a player who can control each shot to be tight, accurate and consistent are actually much more skillful than they look to be. if you try to play fast, they will manipulate you to every corner while wasting little energy. if you try to play his style and play the corners, you will lose in consistency and will eventually hit into the net or out.

tricky indeed.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    uh,uh.

Here are some things that 'might' help you.

Don't try to kill the shuttle straight away. You have to work the shuttle around the court and be patient. [Probably the most important tip]

Serving very high has few advantages.. Try playing serves that just go over the top of the racquet that force him to hit the shuttle going backwards.

Try some low serves but vary them. i.e. some land near the service line, some have a different trajectory and land further in court. This is to vary the flight of the shuttle and hopefully get a poorer (not 'poor') quality return.

when you hit the clear, sometmes hit the high one, sometimes hit the flatter, faster attack clear (but must go over the top of the racquet).

Don't get into a pattern of shot making. He might be one of those people who can easily 'see' what shot you are going to play. It is very important that you have exactly the same preparation for different shots for this type of opponent. i.e. your preparation, swing must be nearly indistinguishable for drops and clears.

Good luck. This type of opponent can win many matches against stronger, faster, fitter players.

6. matscam

matscam Regular Member

Designer
    Funny you should say that, because I feel I am fitter, stronger and faster.

what do you mean by this serve? Do you mean a drive serve or what?

Good advice though, thanks.

7. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    i know what you mean i play against a similar player who has tremendous disguise whilst having this type of game. how to combat it:

drive serves could work although they dont always as they give little time for you to react as well but looping clears and drops probably wont work, my opinion is use lots of flat fast shots as he wont have time to use his technique to produce the consistency( consistency,accuracy like described come from accurate strokeplay, good footwork to manuevere around the shuttle) so basically if you give him time he will be able to play his strokes hit it flat and fast, try not directly at him as he can then direct them,but just to the side so he can just reach out and "flap" at it.

hopefully you wont be caught travelling in the opposite direction to the shuttle like i was the first few times, and sometimes now against him. good luck.

8. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Hi,

Attacking clears to the backhand side, these are always a killer to return and often force very weak replies.

Matt

9. Kiwiplayer

Kiwiplayer Regular Member

I'm afraid there's not much in the way of quick and easy tactics to win the game in this case. As Jamesd20 pointed out, you can try to vary the pace and see if that throws his rhythm off.

Attacking clears to the backhand is fine, but make sure they're high enough so he can't just reach up and cut them off. Also, depending on the level of play, many players actually find the backhand corner easier to deal with than the forehand and have more shot options from there.

Although extending the rally before killing it is normally the better way to play singles, in this case the opponent you describe is clearly better at it than you. He also has better net shot than you, right? In this case, you'll want to try and take the net away from him - keep him on the back line. If his drops from the back court are beating you, then your base may be too central, ie, you're trying to cover all four corners equally. Either stand further back or further in to the net. If you're going to hang back, then you'll want to be looking to come in, as by standing back, you're enticing him to play to the net and discouraging him from clearing. Moving your base in is a lot more risky and if you do, you're also more vulnerable to smashes (but if he doesn't smash much, then you don't have to worry about it). However, it'll allow you to get to the net early, so hopefully you'll be the one playing tight net shots to put him under pressure. Closer in, you're also much more vulnerable to attacking clears, so always look to be heading back.

The idea behind all this is to try and get your opponet to hit the shuttle to where you want him too, rather than just reacting to whatever shot he plays.

10. matscam

matscam Regular Member

Designer
    hi thanks, certainly a lot to think about.
    I wouldn't say that his rallying ability it better than mine, he just has 3 particular strong shots that he uses well.

I was hoping to see him playing someone else, and see how they deal with them as well, it is interesting to see how different style players use their own tactics. Unfortunately my game against him is the first in my group :(

11. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    as stated in a previous thread about serving for singles serving high and deep could also be a good tactic, as although he would be able to use his technique as you have given him time if the shuttle is travelling vertical (almost) when he hits it, it makes a good tight drop shot difficult so he may try it, miss a few,then try a deep clear,allowing you time to do what you like.if he tends to give you deep clears rather than shallow attacking clears you can stand a little futher forward as if he does clear you have time to get back to it, but if he drops then you can take it earlier-kill it,push it or a quality net giving him a tough time.make sure that the serve is central so the angle on his drops is reduced. given that you have these two styles then you can vary thes two-if he is in a slower rally then pop a drive or attacking clear into it.the change of pace could put him off guard and create uncertainty in his play leading to inconsistency leading to your winning. Good luck.james.

12. Sheldon

Sheldon Regular Member

Student
    Cambridge, UK (heh..only a sixth form college tho)
    Try to vary the pace of the game by using different sets of shots for each point. For example you can try and smash your way to a point, and then for the next point, go fo the corners....then quick drives, then only go for the backhand.....and stuff like this. Basically as long as you can control the rallies your in a much better position. And if you feel you are generally a stronger player, then you should be able to control the rallies:) good luck
    this is what i try to do.....prob wont work with everyone, but give it a try if think it may work for you

13. Sheldon

Sheldon Regular Member

Student
    Cambridge, UK (heh..only a sixth form college tho)
    OOps

Ah...its today.......well i guess i came a little too late.....but hope you won!!