AT150 successor / more 'pro' play?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by smetsjan, Nov 21, 2010.

1. smetsjan

smetsjan Regular Member

Hi

I'm a bit of all around player, but mostly I try to be offensive and I like powerfull smashes with sometimes a quick netdrop from high in the backcourt.

1)

I currently own an Armortec 150 racket, almost a few years now (well, when I first broke it, I just bought an identical one last year), and my strings are starting to wear off, so I expect them to break in the next few weeks. The default strings are the BG 65 I think. (A) Should I stick with it or can onyone advice me some others for my type of game? (B) What would be my ideal string tension for this racket/string type?

2)

Last half-year I'm starting to play more and more against higher ranked players (I'm not ranked at all), so I'm contaniously trying to improve my technique and I'm also doing a lot of physical training lately. And I think the time has come to get me a new racket, I've been looking at the new VT70 and Arcsabers, Nanospeeds. But there is so many different types and I really don't know which one to pick. Again, based on my future plans with badminton and my preffered type of game, what can you advice me? (Racket type / string type / string tention / ... )

Thanks already for helping me out.
    Btw, this is my first post! :)

2. smetsjan

smetsjan Regular Member

Ok, I'm thinking of buying the VT70 or Arcsaber 8DX

VT70 is medium stiff and I think I would go with high tension Nanogy 98, maybe 24 lbs?

The Arcsaber 8DX is a very stiff and I would go with a medium tension nanogy 98, and with this combination I can still change string tension if I notice my physical condition allows more less hitting power.

I chose the Nanogy 98 because it's a thin string and might provide me more shuttle control.

3. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

I think all your options are big jumps, from strings to racket models. NBG98 being a thin string (0.66) it will already feel tighter/higher tensioned than BG65 at the same actual tension (NBG98@11KG feels harder than BG65@11KG). Probably the BG65 is now at no more than 9KG ... For a quick solution you can try BG80 or 85 @ 10x11KG.
    From what I read AT150 is headheavy and flexible to medium flex, ARC8DX is a lot more balanced and a good deal stiffer making it twice as hard to flex compared to AT150 (easily said). I guess you could try VT70 but it's stiffer than medium flex according to the early users which could make it a good step up I guess. "Problem" is it will likely be a 4U but if that's not a problem you could consider Armortec 600(?). Maybe even look at a Victor Bravesword 09.
    VT70 gets mixed reviews, probably not recommended if you want something solid in your hands ;).
    Oh yeah AT30 is the succesor to AT150, other options could also be AT50 (budget option) or AT900T besides the above mentioned.

#3 demolidor, Nov 22, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  4. smetsjan

smetsjan Regular Member

Thanks for your reply, you're right, it are big jumps, but I've been playing more then 6 years now, and I havn't really looked at any serious rackets untill now. My gameplay and training has become more serious over the past year, and I get the feeling my AT150 is holding me back, new strings will certainly help me out I think. I will try the BG80 or 85 @ 10 / 11kg, it's probably all the frame can handle.

The AT900T is priced almost identical to the VT70 and ARC8DX, and the VT70 is indeed getting mixed reviews, so it might not be the best option right now. Maybe I should find a shop where I can try some different models, but I dont think I can tell which one suits me better after hitting just a few shuttles, I think every changes takes time. In the end I want a racket that can help me becoming a better play (No, I'm not expecting that by buying a new racket I'll just become a better player automaticly). I realize it takes training, training and more training. I just don't want to buy another new racket in the next year.

5. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

I guess at this price level ARC10 should always come into consideration :D. But, and it may be true for all ArcSabers, it's best with high tensioned string >12KG? Perhaps not a good idea for playing with nylon shuttles ;). But of course the ArcSaber + High tension combo might not be true for the next person ...

Trying it out is always best yes even if it's just to get a feel of the balance and weight :cool:

#5 demolidor, Nov 22, 2010
  6. smetsjan

smetsjan Regular Member

For traing/competition I always play with feather shuttles.

For recreative play/doubles with people I don't know well, I always play with nylon shuttles , and with that I can use my AT150 with new strings.

What strings would you use with the ARC10 ? The ARC10 looks like a powerfull racket, would it be best to go for strings that provide more shuttle control, or would it have the opposite effect and spoil he gameplay?

7. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Okay :cool:, then we can up the tension to at least 12KG :D. The ARC10's I always borrow are strung with BG80 and no reason to change it. If with control you mean thin strings like NBG98 I think that will be fine as well; just had BG66(Maxima) put in my 8DX but more for it's repulsive capabilities that it's control rating by Yonex (http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?90837-Yonex-String-Specifications don't take the numbers too seriously, http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?30885-Yonex-String-Chart/page8 everything blue has been labeled as a repulsive one). Still have to test it, no time this past weekend :eek:.
    Maybe you can measure the balance point of your AT150 by balancing it on a ruler and measure from the bottom, according to one chart I saw it one perhaps it's not that headheavy (like an AT7- or 900) and ARC10 could be an excellent choice. AT900's will probably be replaced anyway within a year with new Voltric's ...

(edit: probably don't even need to bother measuring, can't be too much difference)

#7 demolidor, Nov 22, 2010