Racket Recommendation, Please Help...

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Kelvin T, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Kelvin T

Kelvin T Regular Member

Student
    My skill wasn't that good and I had just started playing back since 1 year ago as I had a bunch of friends which constantly playing badminton so I have join them ever since.

I seriously love the game and I'm attending coaching nowadays to enhance my skills. Well, my coach told me that my current racket doesn't suit me for few reasons. Currently I'm borrowing my sister one (a Carlton B03 TiFlow) and I hope anyone of you can give me some opinions in purchasing my new racket.

Current racket I'm using is Yonex Nanospeed 800. I bought it because I love the feeling, however it is bit too heavy for me as I'm not a strong person. He suggests I get something light for me.

After playing for a year, here is a bit details on my badminton skills:
    Level of playing: beginner to intermediate (still plenty to learn)
    Player type: All-round player as I know bits about defense and offense, I hope I can be all-round
    Type of game which I involved: Double
    Budget for new racket: below RM300
    Preferred brand: Any brand is okay

Hopefully someone can provide me some decent feedback and I will really appreciate it. My friend did suggest me to buy Fischer Black Granite Series.

*Desperately hope to improve in this game:)*

2. Aspire

Aspire Regular Member

Manager
    The brand or any particular model is not that important. As for a player of your current level its more important to look at the specification of the racket above anything else.

In my humble opinion you should look for an even balance to moderate head heavy racket (balance point of 285-290mm) and dynamic stiff shaft rating (60%-75%).

Example of rackets would be:

Fischer Black Granite series like you mentioned
    Victor Artery Tec Ti-95 Power and Control
    Victor Artery Tec Ti-98
    Gosen MiraPro series
    Yonex Muscle Power series.

The first 3 would definitely be cheaper than Yonex that sells in the region of RM200+-.

Good luck and enjoy baddy.

3. Kelvin T

Kelvin T Regular Member

Student
    Thank you Aspire and nice to meet someone new here.

Well, I do not look into the brand after learning much about badminton. Someone introduce me the Apacs Lethal Series, is it okay for that?
    Moreover, I'm wondering if I'm a player who is better in net playing, do I need to consider about that when buying a racket?

Thanks

4. nickspeed9900

nickspeed9900 Regular Member

RJCAF
    I suggest you a all-around racket, not too head heavy (example Yonex Armortec series), and not too head light (example Yonex Nanospeed series). Carbonex series is a good choice for newbie, they are all rounder, not too expensive, and good racket to develop your skill. Once you've develop your skill well, you'll see which path you'd go and by then you could choose a new racket to suit your new skills and develop new skill level. Hehe good luck to you...

5. StrikeGX

StrikeGX Regular Member

Im currently using the Nanospeed 800 right now, since i broke my beloved Mp99. i find that the NS800 is pretty good all around =O, and its definitely not heavy and its pree good in doubles too. :D

6. Kelvin T

Kelvin T Regular Member

Student
    Nickspeed- Thanks for the suggestion. Besides Yonex, is there other particular brand you can recommend me which the price is affordable but good qualities. =)

StrikeGX- Haha, I'm using the same racket with you, but the coach thinks is bit heavy for a newbie like me. So I'm looking for a slightly lighter racket to the one I'm having now. I agree with you as the nanospeed 800 really feels good, so might keep it for future usage when I'm getting better in my skill. =)

7. nickspeed9900

RJCAF
    Back in the mid 90's. When i was still young, i used Carbonex 8 ^^ Aluminium frame, green carbon shaft, it's a classic. My muscles were so weak and i thought Carbo 8 is too heavy, i made a self destructing mistake by buying a head light racket (far more expensive than the Carbo8) in which i thought it's easier to use and would suit my weak-arm-style haha. Unfortunately, my smash became weak, clears were all gone wrong. I used back my Carbonex 8 and i realise that skill does matter. I focus to strengthen my arm, learn proper skills, footworks. Now that my Carbonex 8 has rest in peace (broken), it served me so well... Don't underestimate a cheap racket ^^

now i'm using a very attacking ArcSaber Z Slash and highly response all rounder Nanospeed 9900.

8. visor

visor Regular Member

From Apacs: Tantrum 200/300
    From Yonex: Arcsaber 10

These 2 would be great as a beginner intermediate doubles racket.

9. Aspire

Aspire Regular Member

Manager
    No mention Kelvin T.

As you go along in badminton, eventually you need to have all round skills in order to enjoy the game completely and not just at the net area.

From my past experience and personal opinion, I suggest you to look for other than Apacs racket. The Apacs Lethal series no doubt provide you a stiff shaft rating, but its shaft lacks repulsion/feel. It feels a bit numb/dead.

Besides from what I recommended above, you can try looking at Wilson rackets. Not the BLX series though, look for the previous K-Factor series which is more well constructed and cheaper in price.

10. Kelvin T

Kelvin T Regular Member

Student
    Nickspeed9900- Thanks for the suggestion. =) Besides Yonex brand, do you have any other brand recommendation? Preferable affordable and good qualities racket.

Strike GX- Well, I truly enjoy with my Nanospeed 800 but somehow I do feel bit heavy, of course I forget what the weight for it. But it really feels good when I touch it for the first time. Moreover my coach said it is better for me to change to a slightly lighter racket than nanospeed, therefore I look into this forum and find it pretty interesting to know you guys =D

Visor- Thanks for your comment but isn't the Arcsaber 10 a bit heavy headed? Moreover it is too costly in Malaysia which exceed my budget...T.T

Aspire- Well, thanks for the advice and I truly understand it is a necessary to have a all-round skill which I'm working very hard on it. Anyway I hold my friend's Fischer Black Granite No.1 (Light) before and it feels pretty good. Do you have any suggestion about Fischer racket and it is okay for a newbie like me? He suggests me to buy the Extra light version and he think is quite worth the price, but I'm gonna to try his racket first before deciding whether it fits me or not.

One more thing I would like to ask you is how much tension should I put for my racket, is 21lbs okay for me? Which type of string is suitable too. Sorry to have so many question but I think there are so many things to learn about. Once again, thanks a lot.

11. Kelvin T

Kelvin T Regular Member

Student
    Oh btw my coach did mentioned to me that he can get promotion Kason racket if I'm interested, although I don't know what is the model which he claimed that the original price is around rm400++ but he can get for rm200++ if I wanted. Maybe someone could give some opinion on this too?

Thanks

12. Aspire

Aspire Regular Member

Manager
    Overall Fischer rackets are ok but don't go for the extra light version. If possible use what I've written in post #2 as guideline. On string tension I would recommend 24-26lbs as most player like your level would opt for that. 21lbs is a little too low.

Sorry I cannot comments on Kason rackets as I've never used one before.

13. Kelvin T

Kelvin T Regular Member

Student
    Thanks again. Well, I'm thinking is it a right decision for not buying the racket from my coach as he claims to be good. But my perception is it would be better to try the racket first by borrowing from my friend rather to make a regret purchase of the buying. As I never use the racket before and only reviewing from forum, they claimed Kason racket is good but maybe I do not like the feel. What do you think?

14. what07

what07 Regular Member

I dunno how your coach thinks the nanospeed 800 is heavy. It's basically the same weight as most yonex rackets at 3U and is slightly headlight. I'm trying to think of a racket under 85g but still within budget and the closets thing is Lethal 90. It's suppose to swing super fast as one of my friends said. The lethal 70 would feel heavier then the nanospeed 800 but it has power but maybe for a beginner you should pass on it. Tantrum 300 is a good all arounder and good starting point.

A yonex racket that you may try is nanospeed 3000 or AT600. Both are flexible and not stiff like your 800. However both come in 4U so you may look into those if you there within your budget. Another choice could be from Karakal Mtec 70 which is light but headheavy so it still has decent power and fast defence.

15. Aspire

Aspire Regular Member

Manager
    Ya no harm trying. Who knows you might like it. Just make sure its no obligation to buy if you end up dislike the racket after testing.

16. nickspeed9900

RJCAF
    you're very welcome Kelvin... ^^
    one thing slightly confuse me is that, your coach is saying nanospeed 800 is a head heavy racket, supposed nanospeed is a head light series. Is he confuse your nanospeed 800 as Armortec 800 (head heavy)?

Arcsaber 10 is for intermediate to advanced player, it's quite head heavy (heavier than an Arc Z but not heavy as Armortec)

get a head balance weight racket. What do you think of your Nanospeed? Head light rackets are easy to move especially in emergency, good net play and control, good defence. What about smash? Head light racket requires different skill to master it for example, you need very fast swings n very suitable for those who use their wrist. I afraid it might contradict many basic skills that a badminton player should possessed. Unless you are good with the basic by now. String tension, 21lbs or 22lbs should be fine. I suggest you to try the racket first (if you're allowed or borrow from friends) before you make any purchase.

Other brand? Apacs? But i'm not so familiar with Apacs.I mostly use Yonex and know Li Ning. Maybe "xSeasonx" can help you with Apacs rackets.He is in my friend list ^^

17. izwanj_79

izwanj_79 Regular Member

Engineer
    Hi kelvin T, most of yonex rackets are 3U in weight(85g-89g), if the nanospeed is heavy (according to your coach) than you should change to 4U(80g-85g) rackets. Apacs, Fischer, RSL, Fleet have some good intermediate level racket rated 4U. whether it's head heavy, even balance it's up to your feeling.

I do agree with aspire though...

18. Kelvin T

Kelvin T Regular Member

Student
    Nickspeed 9900- Well, he didn't stated it was head heavy or what, just he stated that it was a bit heavy for me although I forget how much is the weight for nanospeed 800.

Well, I personally quite like the feeling of my nanospeed 800 which I don't know why. If he thinks is bit too heavy than is okay for me to look for something slightly lighter than it, like around 80g-84g, as I think it will be okay for me to handle it. I personally thinks that my swing is not fast enough as I don't know the real way before to do a better lobbing, moreover I use my whole arm in badminton and full energy in playing, which now I realized how wrong is it. Well, got some coaching and trying the right method in playing as I'm not a sport person, which my coach claims I play like robot (muscle so stiff) =P

Li-Ning is a bit expensive in Malaysia, although at first I thought of getting one. But some people told me only the high end racket in Li-Ning are good not those around RM200-RM300++. Which I don't know how true is it?

izwanj_79- Thanks for it. I'm going to try my friend's Fischer before buying. I heard RSL is quite good too, any recommend on this brand which might suit me? Moreover, did you use Kason's racket?

19. nickspeed9900

RJCAF
    Haha yes Li Ning rackets are among to most expensive in the world especially the N Series. I've tried some, they're very tempting and excellent rackets. (but i still stick to my Z Slash).

Anyway, racket choice is personal, what performs and suits best for me doesn't mean it is best for other. For example the legendary Yonex Ti 10, it's been on the market for so so many years, maybe since more than 1 decade ago (if i'm not mistaken). Yet the productions are still continue due to consumers demand, now the productions of Ti 10 has proudly entered 3rd generations. ^^ Sadly this one of the best racket ever built- Ti10 is not really suitable for me, my men double partner can fire with it like a rifle from the rear baseline.

Good luck on your game and racket choice, let us know any update on your new racket.

20. izwanj_79

izwanj_79 Regular Member

Engineer
    I don't actually know the exact model for RSL my friend's been using, what i know is that it's a 4U even balance. I'll check with him. As for Kason I don't have any knowledge even though the supplier office is next to mine HAHAHAHAHA... They told me that the new batch of KASON will arrive in December. Hopefully they'll bring in the one FHF & CY currently using. they also supply SOTX models... All this while i've been with yonex and GOSEN(no 4U racket) so not much to recommend to you other brand's with exact spec.