Lee Chong Wei should concentrate on Lin Dan alone

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Nov 24, 2010.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Lee Chong Wei should concentrate on Lin Dan alone

Someone said to me that if Lee Chong Wei is to reveal himself to be as good as, if not better than, Lin Dan, LCW should only participate in tournaments whenever LD is participating (LD is participating in fewer tournaments than most players).

In other words, LCW should concentrate on LD alone; and leave other players out (in his conquest).

I wonder if this suggestion would help LCW to do better (to improve his head-to-head statistics against LD). :confused::confused::confused:

Furthermore, I wonder how would LCW know which tournament LD would be participating in, before the tournament entry date closes.

What do our BCers think?

#1 chris-ccc, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  2. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    I think LCWs problem is the way he plays at major events and the pressure he is under not how he plays Lin Dan. At the worlds last year and this he didn't lose to lin Dan. Against 90% of players he can do whatever he wants and win through sheer speed and fitness, against the indonesians or Lin Dan he needs to control the game and handle the pressure and he struggles to that at the major events.

LCW is the best player MAS has ever had, they don't have anyone else who can compete at the top in the last 5 years, CHN always has 3 contenders for any title and yet LCW is still under pressure to do more.

3. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Many times misbun etc say lcw is ready to take down LD. Most notably in WC, but look what happens he gets smacked twice by Sony in the quarterfinals, so it is not healthy to focus on LD while forgetting rest of the field.

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

We seldom see Lin Dan getting injured

That someone who said to me was mentioning that Lin Dan is usually appearing fresher and injury-free whenever he faces LCW. And LCW is usually appearing to be over-worked, tired and injured.

His thought is that if Lin Dan is fresher than LCW whenever they meet, then LD would have the advantage.

I am not quite sure. :confused::confused::confused:

But we seldom find Lin Dan getting injured; although we find that his teammates, Chen Jin and Bao Chunlai, often do get injured.

No wonder we call Lin Dan the "Super Dan". :):):)

#4 chris-ccc, Nov 24, 2010
  5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Sony Dwi Kuncoro is a great player too

Sony Dwi Kuncoro is a great player too. Let's not forget to give SDK credit. :):):)

If you read my previous post (Post #4), even SDK gets injury. Somehow, LD is free from injury. :confused::confused::confused:

6. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    Everything is different now.

LD had already bag all majors. I would say he will playing 'happy-badminton' from now onwards with zero pressure.

DLCW instead have much much pressure. He didnt win WC before. No AG Gold. No Thomas Cup. And also Olympic Gold. And most of all, he is for sure wants to beat LD again desperately.

Playing with pressure brings to failure.

7. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Playing with pressure brings to failure

It's not major titles we are talking about, but more about the head-to-head statistics against LD.

I think LCW feels great pressure playing against Lin Dan. It's less than the pressure that BAM puts on him to win major titles. But this is only what I think; I could be wrong.

#7 chris-ccc, Nov 24, 2010
  8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Focus and concentrate on getting the WC..and then perhaps the 2012OG..

To me, as i mentioned a few times before, esp. after Datuk LCW won the AE this yr, he should just focus on getting the major titles (they were the AG, WC and OG; but since he just lost the AG, it's now just the WC and OG) as mother time is catching up with him.
    Forget the idea of focusing on LD alone because as we know, even if LWC beats LD, he could lose to anyone else (e.g. this yr's WC, 2007 & 2009 WC)..

And as mentioned by others already, we all know LD is probably going to cruise from here on out til he retires, with only the 2012 OG as his last possible remaining individual title as his goal. So, in effect, the road is still open for LCW to get those 2 remaining major titles.
    So, rather than the idea of LCW focusing on LD exclusively and trying to better his h2h record against LD, knowing well, the chances of both meeting each other in the near future is unknown, LCW should just target next yr's WC, first and foremost. And think about this, even if LCW meets LD often from here on out and gets his h2h record closer than what it is now but fails to bag the WC and perhaps the 2012OG, to me, it'll be for naught.

So, get it over with and then focus on the OG. If he fails to get next yr's WC, then he'll have to try again in 2013.
    Good luck to LCW!..

#8 ctjcad, Nov 24, 2010
  9. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Correction to Post #7 - (Playing with pressure brings to failure)

Correction to Post #7 - (Playing with pressure brings to failure):

Reading my post again, I found a typo. The word 'less' was typed in incorrectly; It was meant to be 'more'. :eek::eek::eek:

Here is what the post should read;

It's not major titles we are talking about, but more about the head-to-head statistics against LD.

I think LCW feels great pressure playing against Lin Dan. It's more than the pressure that BAM puts on him to win major titles. But this is only what I think; I could be wrong.

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Lee Chong Wei should concentrate on getting the major titles

What was meant is that Lin Dan is one of the main obstacles standing in the way for LCW to win major titles. There are other obstacles, but facing LD is the most difficult one to combat. This shows how good Lin Dan is, and how LCW finds LD hindering his focus to win at major tournaments.

LCW seems to feel less pressure when playing against all players except LD. As many BCers have said, LCW's chances of winning is almost a sure thing if LD is not there. And that LCW is the best player in the world after LD.

It is meant to say that if LD is not there at a major tournament, then LCW could probably win it. But if LD is there, much pressure is felt by LCW. LCW could lose focus because of his doubts/worries about losing to LD again.

But this is not to imply that LCW should not respect other top players at tournaments.

#10 chris-ccc, Nov 24, 2010
  11. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..i think it used to be, but after this yr's AG, imo, i don't think so anymore esp. in individual tourneys..And knowing that possibilty, that will be LCW's chance and esp. should LD lose before he meets LCW..:cool:
    ..and like i already mentioned, my feeling is LD will probably go on cruise control from next yr onward and will probably not focus much on winning the individual tourneys. Probaby just to get enough OG Qualifying pts. For team events, yes, i think LD will still be focused.

12. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

How fruitless and unrewarding it would be for a professional player to focus solely on one opponent.

Instead of focusing and enjoying the challenge of each match, LCW would instead have to regard everything as extraneous to the do-or-die encounters with Lin Dan. And since that will be (at best) a 50-50 proposition, that means spending most of his working life either worrying about or experiencing faliure. I know I wouldn' t enjoy my job if I focused 100% on the difficult unpleasant bits.

Obviously a proud professional should concern himself with strategies to beat his nemesis. But LCW would be in a better frame of mind if he was allowed to enjoy his considerable achievements instead of ruminating on his few shortcomings.

13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

How fruitless and unrewarding it would be to focus solely on one opponent

Both LCW and LD have shown that they are better (most of the time) than the rest of the players. LD has shown that he is better (most of the time) than LCW.

LD is full of confidence when participating in tournaments. LCW is too, provided that LD is not there. We can read it from their body language.

When players face each other, they usually recall/remember their last encounter(s).

LCW's head-to-head winning statistics against LD is not good. If LCW can catch up with this statistics, perhaps LCW could feel more confident whenever he faces LD.

14. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Nop, he was too focused on Lin Dan alone and it won't pays off.
    Other player will surely beat him before he manage to meet lin dan..this can be seen in some international tournaments.
    1 match at a time please.;)

15. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Totally agree with you, george. In the WC editions since 2005(all the WC that he has participated in?), he has not met Lin Dan but lost.

2005 - Taufik Hidayat
    2006 - Bao Chunlai
    2007 - Sony Dwi Kuncoro
    2009 - Sony Dwi Kuncoro
    2010 - Taufik Hidayat

Seems that Indonesians are his jinx, especially Sony and Taufik.

16. volcom

volcom Regular Member

LCW's last encounter was with LD in JO...
    He should be high in confidence from that remembering how aggressive he was, maybe deep down he knew it wouldn't be another great chance like that?

Hmm maybe he also recalled the TC08 and OG08... Where he was fresh off beating LD at TC in the finals and was easily despatched without fuss.

17. volcom

volcom Regular Member

I feel a lack of respect and regard was the case especially for Sony Dwi Kuncoro.
    2007 edition, Misbun was confident of LCW being ready for LD but in the end he loses tamely to Sony... he blames it on the sports director for putting too much pressure on him.

Bring on 2009, he and his coach must've thought surely lightning can't strike twice right? but darn it did! he loses to Sony in the quarterfinals again... Misbun was also extremely confident LCW was ready to take down LD that time.

in 2010 another great opportunity for lcw to take down Taufik who has beaten consectuviely for the last 6-7 times? But bam he worked too hard thinking about how to counter LD and training that he sprained his back thus losing to Taufik, someone he regards that should be easily beaten.

18. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Now lets look at the 2005 and 2006 edition....

According to Chris-ccc a player remembers the last h2h encounter the most and is fresh off that performance...

When LCW took on Taufik he should've felt confident after crushing Taufik in the previous Singapore Open less than a month before the WC.... the second set Lee won 15-0 :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:.....

But dunno was it mental problems or he was just outgunned and outclassed by an unstoppable Taufik at the time that he crashed out as well despite playing quite well.
    Sure not many good have beaten Taufik in that kind of deadly form ;).

in 2006 WC when lost to Bao Chun Lai... was the most amazing one, for he has never lost to Bao ever before that... What a event to lose to him in... previously his game was completely anti-Bao and gave him many beatings before then, but suddenly he lost it himself.

In the first game he was leading like 18-13 or something and still lost it, not because of Bao's crazy shots but because he just gifted them :eek:... Then in the break apparently LYb shouted "Da duang ta de tui!" then poor LCW just collpased into the abyss of no return after that.... the ending was another sad one :(

19. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

When LYB shouted to break LCW's legs......

Yes, I do believe that when LYB shouted to break LCW's legs, LCW felt irritated, confused and distracted from that point onwards.

20. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Perhaps a mental scar forever laid upon him that he cannot remove... A very traumatic experience