The damn net!! Depressed!!!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by malaysianfreak, Nov 29, 2010.

1. malaysianfreak

malaysianfreak Regular Member

student
    hi all! i am a amateur badminton player...! and i do luv to smash(at least use to...untill last week)...but lately my smash 70% of them hit the freaking net ....it nver happen that often when i play...maybe i dunt have the ''feel'' ....and when the shuttle hits the net ...it demoralize me...man...so the verdict is how do you smash above the net? jump higher? make the contact point higher? wads the secret...and what do you say to yourself in a game to motivate u?..(i m in a depression now lol....my friends keep mocking me because of my smash..) oh! and...my mistake are just a TON! my outs are alot , when i want to smash it kips falling on my head! disgrace! and lastly i cant block smashes as well as my friends does...( i played 5 months he started ;last month and he's overtaking me....)...so any advice? i really need words of encouragement and advice to improve my game...my friends mockery are REALLY REALLY AFFECTING ME!

2. .spot.

.spot. Regular Member

Student
    A: Be patient with yourself. Your Friends are developing, too. Their shots may have unoticeably become more difficult to smash. Practice, Practice, Practice.
    B: Be patient with the rally. You got to do tactical work (Maneuver your opponent around / Getting yourself ahead position-wise) to be able to score a point. Only smash when you're in a comfortable position to do so. If not: Drop, drive or attacking clear.
    C: Try not to force smash speed. A controlled swing, witch results in a slower, but steep and on point smash is 10x better than one into the net.
    D: Check if you're using the right grip.

These where (and sometimes still are) my top reasons for smash mishits.

3. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    try to be patient, and don't mind their mockery
    I'm a new player too
    usually half of my smashes hit the net
    and my friend always mock me
    try not to force the smash, if you are in not a good position for smash, don't do it
    usually that is what makes my smash hit the net

4. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    tried smashing higher?

5. fiish

fiish Regular Member

Engineer
    I put a lot of smashes into the net as well in my last playing session. I have been correcting my technique recently so I keep telling myself that I'm still learning and it's OK to make mistakes as long as I learn from them. Don't let the bad smashes get to you :) A much older and more experienced player at my session told me to relax a bit and not get frustrated by mistakes, keep cool and your body stays looser apparently, then you have more energy to put into placing your shots well.

If you can hit the shuttle at a higher point, that would probably help.

6. malaysianfreak

student
  7. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Smash with CONFIDENCE.

8. malaysianfreak

student
    kays!! this thread may had helped boosted my morale! gonna play doubles tommorow! wish me PWNAGE!

9. terencechan

terencechan Regular Member

I think your timing is probably out. I suggest toning down your smash a little. Hit one or two half smashes. Try to get the basics right like a higher shuttle contact point, and body position before and after the smash. Soon you'll notice a more solid impact sound. When you think your timing is back, pump up the power gradually.

10. malaysianfreak

student
    kays....just had a game just now...and i played ...meh the same...still haven't improved...(pissed actually )..i played with my friend he is a defensive player while i am more offensive ~ i keep on smashing while he defends like a champ soon after i m out of breath the other rallies also fall into his favor as my smash are getting weaker and my footwork are getting slower (since i keep on smashin) then i realized that i lack DEFENSE and STAMINA and my smash sometimes fail to touch the shuttle ( use to it already) and i keep on overhitting meaning by making the shuttle out. so the verdict is ...
    1.how to defend properly? your stance , the best grip for defend (i use a basic or thumb grip).
    2.how to improve your accuracy? i mean with household equiements/with just a racket? (i don't have shuttles at home)
    3.how to use your hand to it's fullest potential when smashing?
    4.stami...nevermind i think i have to start jogging...
    5.i do lunge poses and skip ins and skip outs to improve my footwork..or is there better way? (don' like skipping but if it's really good then i'll give it a go =)! so any advice?

11. PopsiclePete

PopsiclePete Regular Member

try less wrist...

12. malaysianfreak

student
    u meant bend u wrist less?

13. PopsiclePete

PopsiclePete Regular Member

yes...if you snap your wrist too much, you force more angle...but it's just an idea

14. terencechan

i think your technique is off. You should try watching the Zhao Jian Hua video. Probably too much arms in your stroke. I repeat, slow down your stroke a little and try to get the timing and technique right first.

15. what07

what07 Regular Member

I have the solution! Don't play with a net. :p Or don't smash just do clears and drop shots ;)

Anyways, getting your smash consistently takes patient and practice. My brother always rages everytime he misses one or it hits the net. But when he gets it next time he's happy agian. Just don't keep getting frustrated.

16. malaysianfreak

student
    kays got it ...just had another game today ( yea 6times a week =D) the smashes i do today is alot safer not better it not so fast and steep but at least it's heading downwards...but hey at least it din't hit the net so...feel much happier =D!still improving my technique though....oh ya what side is best to smash? overhead side or dominant side?

17. terencechan

Sounds good. Try to get that 'bam' sound every time you smash. Even a half smash if hit solidly, will have that solid sound. When you've got that consistent, to add more power... just squeeze into the grip as hard as you can just as your racket makes contact with the shuttle. Try it and be surprised.

18. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    action speaks louder than words. Go into a court and practice or have a kind fellow to spar with you more. Everyday if possible. Looks like you are an addicted fan. ;)

19. malaysianfreak

student
    terence: i used to have that BAM sound but after i watched the asian games..i tried following their smashes and failed...and now i am a little confused of how to smash =(...
    etreme: i do spar with my friends but i lose nearli 90% of the games =(...that's why i really need guys like you to hlp impove my skills...o ya...i cant play whole days my mum would kill me ...maximum is 6times a week thou

20. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    oh 6 times a week? too little man. u need 14 times a weak you freak.. lol. ;)

it'll take time for you to beat the rest lah. Just enjoy the game and get tips from friends. ;)